Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Can't Setup Two-Step Verification

(Topic created on: 07-04-2020 05:10 PM)
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options

I've been trying for two days now to setup two-step verification on my Samsung account to no avail. What happened was I recently factory resetted my phone (Galaxy A71) and I'm trying to restore my data that was previously backed up to Samsung Cloud before the reset. The phone informs me that I must setup two-step verification in order to be able to restore the backed up data but when I try to do so, I get to the point where it says that the verification code has been sent to my phone via SMS, only problem is, I never actually receive any text message with the code.

No matter how many times I've tried, I just don't receive any message with the code via SMS. At this point, I'm beginning to wonder whether the SMS is even being sent at all despite what the UI is stating. I wonder this because WhatsApp didn't seem to have any trouble verifying my phone via SMS when I was re-installing my apps and setting them up. I don't seem to be the only person that is experiencing this issue either, lots of topics on here tells of many others not receiving their SMS also.

To me, this is clearly an issue on your end, either with your software, servers or both. Come on! it shouldn't be this frustrating to utilize Samsung's services.

I feel as though this issue could have been prevented if SMS wasn't the sole option for completing the two-step verification process. Why are there no other options for this, such as a QR code that one can scan with an authenticator app and pair it with the account to receive codes that way instead? Putting all your eggs in the SMS basket is foolish IMO.

Anyway, It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can provide a solution to this problem. I've already tried the suggestions from other topics, but to no avail sadly.

Go to solution
99 REPLIES 99
Kenhubert
First Poster
Options

This is driving me nuts.  I am doing a factory re-set on my S7 and get to the 2-step verification process.  It forces me to use this and requires that I enter a verification code.  But, since I have not completed the setup, I cannot open up the phone and receive the code.  What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
KenneyBear
First Poster
Options

Hello, good day, I'm having the same problem, factor reset my A52 yesterday. And I'm not receiving any 2 factor authentication SMS messages, for all my apps, like Google, Steam, Blizzard and so on. I'm also on Digicel. Have you ever found a fix besides switch to Bmobile ?

0 Likes
DeeTee007
Student
Options

Another user gave this solution and it worked like magic:

Go to Settings

Select Lock Settings

Go into Select Lock Settings

Make sure to DE-SELECT

LOCK NETWORK AND SECURITY.

This function blocks the Samsung 2 Factor Authentication codes.

0 Likes
KenneyBear
First Poster
Options

After taking that off I restarted my Phone, still didn't work....

0 Likes
Member_171622
Explorer
Options
?
0 Likes
snafoo111
First Poster
Options

oh my goodness!  i am having the same issue!  i factory reset my phone.  it got to the 2 step vetification code screen.  i entered my samsung account username and password.  Samsung is sending the SMS codes to my phone, but i am in the middle of setting up the phone!  i cannot get to my text msgs.  how do i continue setting up my phone?????

0 Likes
leexgx
Navigator
Options

@snafoo111

It should auto fill when sms comes in (also this topic is 8 months old and not related to your question)

If not just don't setup samsung account yet (skip) and then set it up later

Below is related to this topic 

note if you used 0 in front of the number (like +44 07946 instead of +44 7946) you might not be able to retrieve a code and will be locked out of your account unless you can authorise via auth code generator (strongly recommend to install authy as that can sync between devices as long as you remember backup code witch it asks at random times when you open authy if you enabled backup) or authorise via old Samsung device or have backup codes printed

there is 3-4 ways to log into your account as long as you set it up beforehand, 1 {sms only} if you do not {missing stuff > backup codes and authy or old phone}

Note you can have more then  1 mobile number linked (under recovery methods you can add more numbers) if adding recovery email make sure that email address also has 2fa enabled as it can be used to totally bypass your 2fa on Samsung account if compromised) 

0 Likes
Baysider
Navigator
Options

Agree with @leexgx 
I just had to set up a new phone when my old phone abruptly died and I lost everything including the authenticators. Just do all the other setup and do the Samsung account last. Google even found a backup copy of everything from my old phone. 

0 Likes
DecDor
First Poster
Options
I to are experiencing this problem and have been trying to sort it out for the last four weeks. I have tried all of the suggestions but with no results. Samsung need to get a grip of thus problem. I purchased this phone for my wife at Christmas but she has not been able to use it yet due to this problem. Please sort this out ASAP. I Was given three options of receiving my Code SMS' e.mail and WhatsApp. But neither are doing what they are supposed to do.
0 Likes
Baysider
Navigator
Options

As many have said in this thread, use an authenticator instead.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 063507.png

0 Likes