Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding roaming charges abroad

(Topic created on: 11-02-2024 07:56 AM)
GeoA13
Explorer
Options

I will travel to India. When I get there I will buy a local SIM card. I would like to ask you how can I avoid any data roaming charges from my O2 network? I know in Settings I should uncheck the “data roaming” option and “Mobile data” option but I guess if I did that I would not be able to use the internet with the local India SIM card. So, how can I make sure that I can use the internet with the Indian SIM card and NOT with my O2 SIM card? (I have a Galaxy A13)

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi there

I believe your device is dual SIM?

So please go to:

Settings
Connections
SIM Manager

In there you can select which SIM you want to use for calls, SMS and data individually. If you want to 100% ensure you don't get hit with roaming charges, simply turn your O2 SIM off. (note that this will mean no calls, SMS or data through the O2 SIM at all).

Alternatively you can select (for example) calls and SMS to come in via O2 (you'll be charged) and data through your local SIM.

Enjoy your trip.
GeoA13
Explorer
Options
Thank you. !!!
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I switched to lebara as apparently they allow a certain roaming facility to India.
So something to consider.

Also if you have an old phone use that to put your Indian sim and see if you can use it as an hot-spot for your UK phone.

You'd have to have two phones to carry though.
0 Likes
Chistery
Pathfinder
Options
Under mobile networks just turn off roaming on your O2 SIM.
0 Likes
MorningBlunt
Helping Hand
Options
This is the way.

MB
0 Likes
Koogeybear
First Poster
Options
I am having the same issue despite Roaming and Mobike Data switched off (as per o2's instructions) and been complaining to o2 since May 2023. Now they are telling me to take out SIM when abroad!!?? Rediculous. Didn't have problem when with Virgin before o2 took over my account!!!!
0 Likes