Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

s21 ultra video quality issues post latest update AUB9

(Topic created on: 22-02-2021 09:38 PM)
Ocebir
Pioneer
Options
The s21 ultra video recording has been so disappointing coming from an s10e makes me want to go back.. I have attached a screen recording of various resolution modes on video view finder and i think the recording speaks for itself but i will highlight it very quickly. The only usable resolution and fps are as follows FHD 30fps and UHD 30fps. Let me start with supersteady mode.. ergh unusable quality has taken me back 10 years... and with UHD 60fps and FHD 60fps you can see a huge quality drop versus 30fps
28 REPLIES 28
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
On that note, you're right about the 4k UHD 60fps quality in low light. The S20 Ultra has better 4k UHD 60fps so I'm hoping this can be ironed out in a future update.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I'd like to add to this and its to do with the video camera on UHD 60fps. I noticed on every other camera mode, you are able to switch between every camera lens, however on this mode you can only stick to that one lens you start recording with. Is this intentional behaviour or a bug?
0 Likes
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
It is intentional Joeeye. For whatever reason you cannot do this on the S21 ultra despite each individual camera being able to shoot 4k 60 video. I expect it to gain this ability down the line though..👍
0 Likes
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
My old Note 9 has better quality 4k 60fps low light video quality Joeeye. They will sort this problem out at some point for sure. The sooner the better.👍
0 Likes
fixtheproblem
Journeyman
Options

A lot of the issues I have been experiencing (Snapdragon 512GB) echo what everyone is saying here. I think almost all of the issues involve the main sensor (108MP):

1. 4K 60fps video with the main sensor is pure garbage, as everyone says.  4K 30fps is a little better, but the level of detail that you expect from a 4K video is simply still not there. 

2. 4K 60fps video with zoom sensors (3x and 10x) are okay. Nothing to write home about but at least these sensors don't produce horrible grainy videos like the main sensor. The ultrawide sensor is similar; it still seems soft to me but not as grainy and noisy as the main sensor.

3.  8K 24fps video is decent, probably the best you can get out of the main sensor (provided you are not panning and not recording something that's moving fast). It appears to be just cropping the main sensor (108MP) to fit the 8k resolution, without pixel binning. You will notice that it has a much smaller field of view compared to other resolutions; the video almost looks zoomed in. 

4. The main sensor often struggles to focus. You will notice this clearly when you take 108MP photos - a lot of them might look okay when not zoomed in, but you realize they were not in focus when you look closer (especially on a large 4K screen). Even when you take back-to-back 108MP photos, you will often notice that one is in focus while the next one isn't. I suspect this issue could be pervasive and is responsible for a lot of the issues with the main sensor. 

Overall, the main sensor often misses focus even in bright daylight (108MP photos), and the quality of the video progressively gets worse as you increase the frames per second. If this is a limitation of the hardware, it isn't looking good at all. One other possibility is that there's something wrong with the pixel binning algorithm (8k 24fps video doesn't have the same issue as 4K 60fps, although it may simply be because of lower frames per second), which could be solved with a software update.

0 Likes
Ocebir
Pioneer
Options
I still have this problem after AUC8.. anyone else?
0 Likes
Rusl657
Journeyman
Options

Yeap still horrible 4k 60fps half a year already past and still nothing. My old oneplus 6 had better video recording on 4k 60fps and no im not exaggerating cause i only saw this problem today cause didn't need to record videos. So today i compared 2 recording and oneplus 6 is way better that really pissed me off.

mareceklolko
First Poster
Options

Will they address this issue ever? I am actually thinking about returning back this phone and just going back to my S10plus.

The videos are so bad. Is there like a workaround?

0 Likes
Rusl657
Journeyman
Options

Nope. There is no workaround, try'ed out a lot  of different video apps on play store and i also have 'Filmic pro' and no nothing helps on Filmic pro 4k 30fps is even worse and 4k60fps is not as grainy as in stock app but the size of the file is 3x bigger and its still super soft (blurry)  its probably like someone say'ed its the problem with the algorithm of combining 9 pixels into 1....that's why its stupid cause 108mp is for photography and what you need for a good video is 12mp sensor (4k is 8.5 megapixels) anyway its a software problem probably aspecially the soft(blurry) part cause ultra-wide is also soft and it only has 12mp. Samsung is trying to be the jack of all trades its just that they fell on they're face with this one probably cause its late August already and its still not fixed.

compared footage oneplus 6 vs samsung s20 vs samsung note 3 vs samsung s21ultra

result s21 ultra is the worst by far

0 Likes