Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Camera Issues

(Topic created on: 29-01-2021 04:28 PM)
lmedwards
Journeyman
Options

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but just had to join because I have been experiencing some really annoying issues with my brand new S21 Ultra's camera. I'm very familiar with each of the camera modules and what they're good for, however mine can't seem to use the right one at the right time.

It keeps choosing to use the 3x telephoto lense when I ask for 10x zoom, and often uses the 10x lense when I ask for 3x. The result is ridiculously grainy images that don't even compare to my Note 10+.  I have tried experimenting by covering up the camera lenses that I think it should be using at the time to prove that it's getting it wrong, and low and behold the image isn't covered up.

The annoying thing is, I can see the camera switching between the correct and incorrect modules if I tilt the camera towards different light. 

Members_d2qZ1vx_0-1611937415769.png

Has anyone else experienced this? Hopefully fixable with a software update but this is really affecting the quality of my images.

49 REPLIES 49
Geoff Infield
Journeyman
Options

It's garbage, I hate it.  My first night with my brand new S21 Ultra sent me straight back inside to clean the lenses. When that didn't fix the mess - it looks like someone dabbed vaseline in clumps all over the image with a cotton bud - I honestly assumed my phone's 10x / 30.6mm lens was faulty and was resigned to taking it back in the morning.

Then I found the thousands of users complaining that despite the 10x / 30.6mm lens taking GREAT pictures in low light on the rare occasions it ALLOWS us to, Samsung think we would be much happier with a photograph that honestly looks like it was taken through a bottle of vodka. After drinking it.

It's bad. It's REALLY bad. I managed to get two photos to compare - it decided to give me the 30.6mm optical just for a second, not sure why, maybe a car in the distance sent a couple of extra photons my way briefly - and the difference is astonishing.

Not only is the 10x lens actually VERY good in those conditions, but nobody - and I mean NOBODY, not even the guy who drank the vodka that Samsung shot the photo through - would EVER keep the photo that the 108mp pixel-binning 0.8u pixel size tiny sensor produced. 

WE PAID SO MUCH FOR THESE PHONES THAT WE DESERVE THE CHOICE - SAMSUNG FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE GIVE US AN OPTION TO DISABLE DIGITAL ZOOM WHEN AN OPTICAL ZOOM IS AVAILABLE.

PUT THAT OPTION IN PRO MODE IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND CAMERAS, THAT WAY YOU COULD KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE BECAUSE ***WE'RE ALSO ANGRY THAT PRO MODE EXCLUDES THE TWO LONGER FOCAL LENGTHS!!! ***

GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Have you updated your phone to latest software?
Updated Google store apps?
Updated Samsung Store apps?
0 Likes
Stoleriko
Pioneer
Options

Of course, everything is up-to-date. 

Cache wiped.

Nothing helped. 

0 Likes
Darkstryder360
Apprentice
Options

Seriously unimpressed with this camera. 

With all the stability updates since launch too, especially for the camera, why does it continue to choose the worse off Camera lens for a shot.  I take a lot of photos at 3x and 10x, and constantly get the crappy version.

I flick between all options just to trick the device into choosing the higher quality version, or take a snap just as I press then 3X just so the software doesn't have a chance to flick to the Digital zoom.

I hate it.  Took me several minutes to get a decent shot of my dog sat still, looking adorable, but 99% of its in the moment, and it has passed because, guess what, Samsung Galaxy AI knows best, giving me the ***** photo! 

0 Likes
Stoleriko
Pioneer
Options

So often my old Galaxy s9 plus is getting better pictures then my new S21 ultra.

That's embarrassing. 

0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

As one of the first owners of the S21 ultra world-wide I can say that my initial experience was very disappointing. However the last few updates have greatly improved the camera. I came from s10+ and the difference is striking. Dynamic range, details, colors and versatility. Indeed the issue of the software deciding to go digital when zooming in low light is stupid and frustrating but the camera is otherwise excellent imho. Attaching a few shots here. 

20210403_143919-01.jpeg

20210308_160840-02.jpeg

20210304_073557-02.jpeg

20210403_155540-01.jpeg

20210126_164022-01.jpeg

Devesh
First Poster
Options

My guess is its intentional. The f stop of the periscope camera is 4.9. Which on a smartphone is very very small. This will make images too dark to be usable. Which is why the camera keeps it at 3 times. Only when shooting in bright lights then the 10 times will kick in thats y when you switch it to a bright light source it uses the 10 times. 

0 Likes
Geoff Infield
Journeyman
Options

This is how BAD this problem is - shining a torch at the light sensor between the lenses gives you a VERY narrow opportunity to use the good lens before Samsung decide that the blurry mess below is a better choice 😞  

30.6mm 10x used torch to enable lens30.6mm 10x used torch to enable lens9mm default night lens - useless9mm default night lens - useless
PLEASE ADD THIS LENS TO PRO MODE - still not an option as at 19 NOV 2021, please please PLEASE let US decide when we want to use it AT OUR OWN RISK, because THIS LENS IS WHY I BOUGHT AN S21 ULTRA 😞

Zuzullo
Student
Options

1 year later... is this fixed?

I wanna buy it to use the 240mm lens in manual mode on a tripod. Is it not possible?

0 Likes
Zuzullo
Student
Options
0 Likes