Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Battery life really bad compared to all the youtube video review

(Topic created on: 22-01-2021 11:04 PM)
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options

So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review. 

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours! 

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment. 

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery. 

972 REPLIES 972
Leoxis
Explorer
Options

WoW!!!!!!! Are they for real now?!
I just checked my battery and it is indeed 4855mAh how is that even legal?!?!

I'm defo returning my phone tomorrow, never buying Samsung again, enough is enough!
Screenshot_20210204-193008_Ampere.jpg

Darbis
Voyager
Options

I got mine also before 29th Jan. It does not void any warranty I am sure of that

0 Likes
Mtm1401
Navigator
Options

Ouch, there are some people who have unrealistic expectations of mobile usage but this is genuinely bad. 

Probably driven by terrible signal - try 4g and see if it is as bad? I know it seems counter productive having bought a 5g phone, but we had the same issue with 4g when it was rolled out. 5g isn't inherently more battery hungry, just being on low signal causes your phone to eat more battery

0 Likes
Mtm1401
Navigator
Options

Pretty sure the battery is 5k, but you don't get access to all of it as a full discharge massively harms the battery

0 Likes
mayaneire
Explorer
Options

👀👀

Screenshot_20210204-185632_AccuBattery.jpg

 Estimated....😑

Mohnish Waikar
Explorer
Options

anyone tried COD mobile on the phone ? its starts to lag like crazy after 30 minutes of gaming. 
Is it just my unit ? raised a request for replacement. 

After removing chrome and smart things did notice a bit of an improvement in the battery. still pretty bad though

0 Likes
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options
yep. I had the same!
0 Likes
Tukhmemurgh
Apprentice
Options

This is a joke. I booted my brand new s21 ultra yesterday, and I have a ridiculous amount of battery drain when using the camera app. Outside the camera app, drainage seems to be fine, and it hasn't even finished learning my usage patterns or whatever yet. I guess I can't really comment on the overall battery life yet, I'll have to post an update in a few days or so when I've had more time to use it. Does anyone else have this issue? I mean, recording normal 1080p at 60 fps drains approx. 1% per minute. It's the same drainage for 4k, meaning it shouldn't have to do with the resolution itself, but rather the optimization of the app.  Actually considering returning this phone and buying an iPhone 12 pro max, but I contacted support and they said an update was scheduled to roll out this weekend/next week addressing "several issues", perhaps the optimization of the camera app is one of those issues. It's funny since when I booted my phone I was greeted with a software update that claimed to "improve performance in camera app". They lied.

0 Likes
nsMGaby
First Poster
Options

Same here but with a S21.

6th day of use and very poor battery life and on screen time. Today, 3h46 OsT and only 15% battery left. I have checked the battery drop rate on youtube and google maps and I have lost between 3 and 4% per 10min. This is insane and the worst is that I am running normal mode, with a fixed refresh rate of 60Hz (brightness set around 60%).

When I compare that to a random video posted 18h ago and comparing the S21 with the iphone 12, I'm way below the displayed value that reaches 10h38 of on screen time...

What also strikes me is the amount of time some tasks have run in background such as google play services with 13h (cf picture).

Something is clearly wrong.

SmartSelect_20210204-202932_Device care.jpgSmartSelect_20210204-202918_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
nem2s
First Poster
Options

Samsung s21 Ultra here,  256gb bought with EE in the UK. I think we all have to check GeekBench scores to understand if our device is faulty or not. My battery is completely gone,  it lasts 3 hours of screen, no matter what. Those 3 screenshot have been taken from 3 different benchmarks with

Screenshot_20210204-232230_Geekbench 5.jpg

 everything on

Screenshot_20210204-235034_Geekbench 5.jpg

 all recents closed and sync off

Screenshot_20210204-235526_Geekbench 5.jpg

 performance mode on and sync off

This is RIDICULOUS. I'm going to switch back to my pixel 5 for now and hopefully I'll get a replacement soon

0 Likes