Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra Battery life really bad compared to all the youtube video review

(Topic created on: 22-01-2021 11:04 PM)
daribeiro
Pioneer
Options

So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review. 

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours! 

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment. 

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery. 

972 REPLIES 972
Mtm1401
Navigator
Options
I mean you used your phone for an hour of gaming and you're set to get around 5-6 hours of battery and 2 days of standby in my eyes that's pretty passable
0 Likes
Ajs3
Pathfinder
Options

Current situation 

Screenshot_20210227-172107_Device care.jpg

0 Likes
GCrane1982
Apprentice
Options

Wondering if you guys can help me out. I have had pretty poor battery life ever since I got my S21U on launch day with only getting 10 hours on a full charge with max 3hrs SoT.

I have reset it a few times and have tried enabling/disabling services in various different ways however have never seen any real improvement in battery life.

Today I was doing some more hunting and noticed that IMS Service and ImsLogger had used 10% battery since last full charge when I was on about 60% battery (not sure if this is 10% each or 10% combined) which seems excessive for me. This also isn't reported anywhere in the standard battery usage stats via settings.

Just wondering if you could check your battery usage stats for these two system apps and report back on the below that would be great.

(Settings > Apps > Filter > Show system Apps > then search for each app)

Current Battery Charge = 47%
IMS Service battery usage = 11%
ImsLogger battery usage = 11%
RCS Chat = Enabled with Samsung Messages, Enabled with Google Messages, Disabled.
Wifi Calling = Enabled with Prefer Wifi, Enabled with Prefer Mobile network, Disabled.
Personal thoughts on your battery life = Poor, Average, Great.

0 Likes
Mtm1401
Navigator
Options
IMS service is a standard service for voice over IP, so will suppport most forms of digital communications, see link - https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Other-Mobile-Devices/What-is-the-IMS-Service/td-p/406589

as it's part of Android system, the 11% you're seeing for battery usage is a total of all android system processes - you'll find a number of apps 'using' 11% they're actually just android system
0 Likes
Ajs3
Pathfinder
Options

Any idea if this update is "safe" to install?

Screenshot_20210301-140638_Software update.jpg

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

@Ajs3 I downloaded that update yesterday. Battery still the same. Good on wifi ***** off wifi. I have noticed the phone now gets hot as hell even when just browsing the web which it never did before. 

0 Likes
Juan greenfield
Pathfinder
Options

@Ajs3 it's a lottery, some people say performance is better since that update, some other says is s h i t, in my opinion i haven't see any difference with any of the updates, for better or worst tbh.

0 Likes
Ajs3
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks guys. I rolled the dice. Let's see. 

Mtm1401
Navigator
Options
When you're off WiFi, are you out of the house and moving around, or is it same behaviour as when connected to WiFi? A few people have spotted a bug with a service that seems to wake the phone loads when screen is off but device is moving. obviously when you're at home, device is stationary so not a problem, but typically on mobile you're out and about causing the movement and wakelocks, but you wouldn't know unless you had GSAM or BBS installed
0 Likes
K Dimov
Helping Hand
Options

@Ajs3 This is really weird mate. My size was 308.03MB
Screenshot_20210218-143546_Software update.jpg

Current: S24 Ultra 512GB Titanium Violet | Old: S21 Ultra 256GB Phantom Black
0 Likes