Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Keypad and DTMF tones not working during a call

(Topic created on: 28-05-2019 11:06 AM)
taffw
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I have a new Samsung Galaxy S10 plus and it seems to be upto date with all software. basically during a call the keypad and DTMF tones don't work, so when i'm through to say a call centre when it says please enter option 1 or 2 etc, it doesn't register at all so very frustrating. I did a chat with Samsung and tried all the things he suggested but nothing. He then said well you will have to contact our Samsung Web developers !! which is frankly quite dissappointing. It still isn't fixed and means I can't do thing like contact my bank or enter payment details during a call. I've come over from Apple and so far not impressed at all. Does anybody have the same issues or any suggestions. i'm on Vodafone. This to me is basic called but it doesn't seem to work or is my phone faulty?

Go to solution
79 REPLIES 79
SwingPusher
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue and none of the fixes have worked.  If you dial yourself and listen to the key tone presses, they are playing down the phone however they are doubling up.  You get one long tone followed by a short one.  I believe its this after short one which is causing the issue.

0 Likes
stevenfreed
First Poster
Options

This worked for me. Thanks :winking-face:

0 Likes
VC63
Explorer
Options

I have an S9 and this was driving me crazy...

Tried every solution posted here but none of them worked for me.

What actually did work was turning off VoLTE calls in Settings > Connetions > Mobile Networks.

0 Likes
Members_icwcHAu
First Poster
Options

This is, I think, the real solution. I was having this problem on my S7 too. Fortunately the two keyboard screens look quite different (at least on my phone they do) so it was semi-apparent what was happening. The problem is that the issue recurs infrequently and, by the time it happens again, I have usually forgotten this vital information. Thanks, Mutsch!

0 Likes
Chris H
First Poster
Options

I've had the same problem intermittently with my S10e. I finally figured it out.

With your phone keypad screen open, go to Settings > Other Settings > DTMF tones. You have to swipe up to see the DTMF option. Then change it from "Normal" to "Long". 

0 Likes
Yallaen
Student
Options

Sure, I tried turning it off and on again, volume up, resetting the settings to normal and long sounds...I just get a generic tone, not the appropriate DTMF tone, and it's not working.

0 Likes
Twigletbob
Student
Options
I have an A51 and have the same problem. Tried all suggestions and none have worked. Grrr.
0 Likes
ILgaz
First Poster
Options

I was having the same problem with my S21. Calling Yapikredi Bank , DTMF tones working on rare occasions. Tries all the suggestions given on this thread. I installed another calling app, that did not work either however after setting the original call app as default it worked. Go figure. Not sure if I recall it will work again though.

0 Likes
Rudedog
First Poster
Options

yes, as far as I am concerned the phone is faulty - as is mine. I have read just about every thread on this, and done everything suggested.  Finally I tried to use the keypad for dtmf with the phone NOT ON SPEAKER - and I got my desired result. I could still not hear the tone - but pressing number 2 got me where I wanted to be. Try that. 
My Note 8 did not ever have this issue - I just washed that phone in the washing machine and now have a used S10 and have this issue. Major flaw in the design of this phone as far as I am concerned. 

0 Likes
IzzyK
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung A03S purchased from my internet provider Optimum Online just over a month ago. I have the problem described in this thread which started with Galaxy S10. I can dial any phone number without any problem but when I have to press options (e.g. my voice mail pin, 7 to delete) or many companies that try to direct your call to a specific department, the result is intermittent. Sometimes I have no problem and sometimes I have AGGRAVATION. If I press 7 to delete and nothing happens I press it over and over perhaps 30-50 times and sometimes it will register. This is the same nightmare that all of you in this thread have had to deal with. Many of the recommended fixes are ridiculous  any many should not be necessary. Also, many of these fixes cause you to disable a desired function. I spent hours on the phone with Optimum support reps over many days, to no avail. I called Samsung to log my complaint, thinking that eventually I might declare the phone as defective and get it replaced. On the one hand, this thread is comforting as I now see that I am not the only one with this problem (misery loves company). On the other hand, the thread begins in May 2019 and runs through to March of 2022 (now May 2022 with my addition). I am a former IBM Engineer with a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering.   I remember when I worked a herendous number of hours along with a task force to resolve a problem that took a month to resolve. This thread though shows that Samsung has a "Known Problem" that has gone on for at least THREE YEARS and has done nothing to resolve it. Shame Shame Shame on Samsung. I have lost all respect for Samsung and will probably never ever ever buy a Samsung product again. The problem obviously has carried forward from one model of phone to another. I cannot try every fix recommended in the thread as my model has different setting options than the S10 but I will try a couple of the minor ideas that will not inconvenience me too badly. I am not optimistic though and don't expect the problem to be resolved, so here is another idea. Are you all familiar with a website "Pissedconsumer.com"? It is like the Better Business Bureau in that it documents your concern for the world to see and they send a copy of the complaint to the company involved. You can also state your desired outcome (e.g. a full refund so that you can buy a different Brand phone with the money). How about all 69 of us, write a complaint on Pissed asking for a full refund at the same time. I will do mine early next week. We can ask for a full refund and let Samsung know that if we don't get it, we will never buy a Samsung product again and advise all of our friends the same. Perhaps that will get Samsung's attention  and set in place a task force to find a fix for the problem. 

IZZYK

0 Likes