Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling

(Topic created on: 07-03-2024 02:49 AM)
RobboOz
First Poster
Options

I am after help understanding wifi calling.

My carrier is based in Australia (Boost mobile). I will be travelling to Europe and UK in April for 2 months so I will sign up for a European eSim data plan. With that and Whatsapp I should be able to adequately keep in contact with everyone of my usual contacts. However,  I am seeking a way to be able to call a landline number in Europe in a semi-emergency. E.g. if my train to a town is running very late and it looks like I will arrive late to my accommodation or hire car office, I'd like to call their landline to discuss options.  

Of course I could pay my $3 per day roaming fee for 2 months but that seems expensive for a just-in-case scenario. 

My Boost plan in Australia includes ample free calls Australia to Europe to handle emergency calls so I was wondering if I turned mobile data off for my Boost Sim an turned on WiFi calling on my s24 Ultra so it uses my EuropeaneSim data, does that cause the call to be handled through Australia,  as if I was calling from Australia to Europe   even though I am in Europe? 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Demal
Explorer
Options
Sounds like a complicated problem hmm...🤔 I'd recommend when you come to Europe buy a pay as you go sim this is a sum that you can guy from most convenient stores for really cheap and u will have a mobile number for that country you can top up credit on the sim for any amount above £5 I believe then you can make calla text and use data (I'd recommend sticking to calls and texts to save credit) I'd say £10 is a decent amount to have a good amount of calling time and texts before the credit runs out as for the last part u said I'm not really sure about all that but I will say your phone will know what country zone you are in so u can't trick it to think ur in Australia

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Demal
Explorer
Options
Sounds like a complicated problem hmm...🤔 I'd recommend when you come to Europe buy a pay as you go sim this is a sum that you can guy from most convenient stores for really cheap and u will have a mobile number for that country you can top up credit on the sim for any amount above £5 I believe then you can make calla text and use data (I'd recommend sticking to calls and texts to save credit) I'd say £10 is a decent amount to have a good amount of calling time and texts before the credit runs out as for the last part u said I'm not really sure about all that but I will say your phone will know what country zone you are in so u can't trick it to think ur in Australia
0 Likes
RobboOz
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the suggestion. 

The main reason I was trying to avoid getting a SIM in Europe was so I could keep my existing SIM in my phone was in case I needed it for 2 factor authentication. Maybe it's not an option.

0 Likes
Demal
Explorer
Options
The phone. U have can have dual sims
0 Likes
RobboOz
First Poster
Options

Hi Demal, you're correct in that the Australian version of the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra indeed supports dual-SIM functionality. However, it doesn’t have two physical SIM card slots. Instead, you’ll need to use one physical Nano SIM card for one line and the eSIM for the other. 

0 Likes