Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Tip] Keep your Samsung Account safe and secure. Set up Two-Step Verification!

(Topic created on: 09-06-2020 02:24 PM)
AntS
Options

Hi all!

When you purchase a Samsung Galaxy device, the first thing you’ll do is probably set up a Samsung account.

A Samsung account is equipped with strong security features to keep your information safe, and benefits you by providing a range of convenient features. These include: Syncing data in the device with Samsung Cloud to back up and restore data, finding your device, access to Galaxy Apps, Samsung Pay, and much more.

Setting up Two-step verification on your account is a great way to keep all your information safe.

If you use your Samsung account on multiple Galaxy devices, or if you have important data in the cloud, we highly recommended setting up Two-step verification.

Click here to set up two-step verification

Step-by-step guide to set up Two-step verification

Go to Settings, then tap your profile image in the top right corner of the screen.

01.jpg

Go to Password and security, then tap Two-step verification.

02.jpg

Verify the phone number you will use to receive verification codes.

03.jpg

After setting up Two-step verification, when you sign into your Samsung account, you will need to enter the verification code you receive to your phone number. Your phone number can only be used by you; this feature maximises your account’s security.

Sign in process:

1) Enter ID and password.

2) Confirm the verification code sent to your phone.

3) Input the verification code and sign in.

You can select ‘Skip Two-step verification’ on the device you are using to sign in. Once this device is chosen as a trusted device, you will not need to complete the Two-step verification process on this particular device. This is more convenient for you but still the same amount of security for your account.

04.jpg

How to receive a verification code

Your Samsung account will provide more than one option to receive a verification code. These options include: receiving a code via SMS, using a backup code, and using an authentication app. (For example: Microsoft Authenticator.)

Even if you do not have the same phone number that you originally registered with, you lose your mobile phone, or if you are not receiving the SMS, you will still be able to access your account with one of the options provided. Feel free to choose your preferred method of verifying your account.

05.jpg

There will be new features that are provided through updates that allow you to register up to three phone numbers that can receive the verification code via SMS. These devices must already be signed into your Samsung account.

06.jpg

07.jpg

Tips on password protection

In order to keep your information safe, don’t forget to frequently update your passwords in addition to using the Two-step verification feature, and do not use the same ID and password in multiple services.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two-step verification is only compatible with devices that have:
Samsung Account Version: 2.2.03-47 and higher
OS version: 7.0 and higher

32 REPLIES 32
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Certainly Two-Step Verification is advisable for security protection, personally I prefer the Microsoft Authenticator app.

According to this report will become mandatory in the near future, though will only impact on users who are logged out of their accounts.

eyerys.com/articles/news/following-data-leak-samsung-made-two-factor-authentication-mandatory 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Milambar
Apprentice
Options

If you think that I am going to give Samsung my personal and private phone number to sell on to databrokers, who will then nuke me with spam, then you have another think coming.

I already have the Google Authenticator app, which works perfectly. I am NOT giving Samsung my phone number.

As this is now mandatory, I'm off to shop for a new, non-Samsung device this afternoon.

WebGezgini
Journeyman
Options

Very helpful thanks.

kierann95
Student
Options

I've lost my 2fa device and don't have my codes anymore I have my login and password and access to the original email address 

Ripperoo
Pioneer
Options

Maybe you can tell me why I'm being locked out of my account every other day because "too many log in attempts have been made", requiring me to set up two-stage-verification each time, only for me to have to do it again two days later.

It is getting more than annoying!

You are making things too complicated and should leave peoples personal security up to them.

If some people are too stupid to keep their accounts secure, that's on them!  They should be made to take some responsibility and if they get hacked through their own ineptness and utter stupidity, tough luck.

Stop making it harder for the rest of us, due to a minority of *****s!

...............and to make matters worse, I cannot even get in touch with Samsung Customer Support in order to find out which device of the many Samsung devices I have is trying to log in to my account, presumably with out of date credentials.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Cã55 Two Step Verification is an extra layer of Security. More about Samsung's policy here https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/03/07/samsung- 2FA 

It is supported by many tech firms https://www.pcworld.com/article/3225913/what-is-two-factor-authentication-and-which-2fa-apps-are-bes... 

If you change phones can update number for SMS, if using authenticator app which I think offers greater protection  should be able to move app to new account.  Here is the guidance for  a few apps. https://the-parallax.com/2019/06/21/how-move-two-factor-authentication-app/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Chish
Student
Options
Thanks for your advice guys.... 🙏🙏🙏
VetonB
First Poster
Options

Check Kosovo (+383) number not working...🙄

chrfraje
Student
Options

I don't want 2-step verification. While I know that the idea is to keep my data and device safe, the only person it keeps my data safe from is me. The codes don't always come and it is, in general, a royal pain in the patootie. I have been told that I can no longer turn it off "for my safety". Shouldn't I be able to decide how "safe" my data is? Samsung should allow me to turn it off if I want to. All of these extra security measures from companies like Samsung just make my life more complicated and annoying. To top it off, this is all just useless, overly complicated window dressing. My number and information still gets sold everywhere anyway. I am constantly barraged with spam and other ***** and still have information stolen. Please allow me to disable this again! And, I would really appreciate it if you guys would actually ask your users. You guys keep enabling connectivity to everything (which I don't want and do think is an actual data safety issue) and disabling features I actually want, like allowing me to customize my device (for things like disabling functions/features I don't want. Un-ghost it so I can stop the annoying messages to re-enable it!