Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no PAL 25fps and 50fps video

(Topic created on: 20-02-2022 12:59 PM)
Martin68
Explorer
Options
It's 2022 now and the smartphone has just about taken over in favour of the traditional camcorder so nearly all amateur video is now shot using a smartphone, so why is it we still get no compatible frame rate for shooting video in the countries outside of the USA? When camcorders were sold in Europe and Everywhere else apart from North America, they were as PAL, meaning they could shoot at 25fps, to match the 50hz electrical grid so lights didn't flicker, but now we have switched to smartphone video, with seriously good cameras, we are being forced to shoot at 30fps, which causes lights to flicker in 50hz countries and is not compatible with the tv broadcast system. This makes what would be a perfect video look less perfect with the flicker. So with smartphone cameras now being even better than consumer camcorders why does Samsung still not offer 25fps? (and 50fps and 100fps) if offered the camera video would be perfect on the S22 series and it's predecessors. Sony and ios already do offer PAL video albeit only 25fps but its a start. But I find Samsung phones more fun that's why I want to stick with Samsung, but really need PAL frame rates. 3rd party apps don't produce true 25fps, lights still flicker in filmic pro even when set to 25fps not to mention, I want to use the native camera apps that come with the phone but at PAL frame rates. (before anyone corrects me regarding the term PAL, I am only referring to the frame rates, the term PAL, NTSC switching is still used on dslr cameras) 
11 REPLIES 11
seanoz
First Poster
Options

Yeah, what the hell Samsung, this is a flagship phone, how can you leave is out, I have to shoot with this around LED and lights in a 50htz system, this leads to flicker I can't believe there is no setting for this.

LOENS2
First Poster
Options

I agree. There's literally no excuse not to 50hz video. As far as I'm aware, there's no technical background that would prevent adding a 25 / 50hz setting. This is really annoying because I tried to shoot a video of a broken part of my car and I couldn't because the workshop light runs on mains voltage and therefor it just flickered and the only way to get around that was to use a battery powered flash light. This has to be fixed.

Martin68
Explorer
Options
IPhone and Sony Xperia are offering 50hz video, so why can't you Samsung?
I like everything about your S series phones, and I buy them to replace my bulky cameras and camcorder (which are 50Hz pal only) but now I'm forced to shoot in an American frame rate 60Hz in a European country, and I get loads of flickering issues because of this.
For a phone of this high price, 50hz video should be standard, like is is with all European video equipment. You offer us xinos chips for European models, so while your at it, offer us 50Hz video too. If this is not ever resolved in the next 2 years, I'll be giving up Samsung for either Xperia or iPhone, as I've had enough of waiting.
But no doubt this forum is falling on deaf ears with Samsung as they never comment.
alex3478
First Poster
Options

I'm in shock. There is no way to switch to the  Pal standard  (25/50 frames per second) located in the middle east region. how is this possible? Why is it not said anywhere that the device is not  for this region. The lights in the rooms flicker constantly. It's like selling a right-hand drive car in left-hand drive countries.

Martin68
Explorer
Options
Yep, totally agree, video systems have always be set to the 50hz frequency standard that 3/4 of the world uses, its made the video from my S22 ultra incompatible with my other video equipment which is all PAL standard ( and before anyone starts.. when I say PAL I mean 25fps, and yes the term PAL is still printed on new digital cameras)
NeilG4
Apprentice
Options

Would you like to join me in a petition to Samsung demanding they do something about this shameful situation. I have my own video production company, and it is hell on earth trying to edit 30fps/60fps into professional camcorder footage taken at 25fps/50fps.

Martin68
Explorer
Options
I'll join, where is the partition, let's get it out there
luka3rd
Journeyman
Options

I'll joint the petition! I'll join anything to wash this disgrace out of my favourite phones... 

Samsung is sleeping on the laurels!!! 

Lexx84
Student
Options

Hi! I would also like to join the petition! I bought the s23 ultra to replace the main camera. Only now, during the installation of the material, I realize how many problems the 30 fps format creates. I shoot videos for TV broadcasting standard 25 fps. I hope that Samsung will be able to do something about it, otherwise we will have to switch to Xperia 1V.