Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Smart Switch on new S23 Ultra not allowing receive mode

(Topic created on: 02-09-2023 07:31 PM)
ILLMIX
First Poster
Options

I just received my new S23 Ultra (with Android 13 One UI 5.1). 

I have been unable to use the Smart Switch tool to transfer from my old S10+.

On the old phone, the Smart Switch app first asks me "what should this phone do? (Send data / Receive data)....seems logical.

On the new phone, the Smart Switch app goes straight into a Send data mode, with no way to adjust that - There's no way for me to tell it I want to set it up from another phone or backup.

I've done 5 factory resets, spent 3 hours + on google, drove to my local O2 store (Worse than useless), went to 3 independent stores....Nobody could make any sense of this. I've also tried this via the PC (was able to back up my old phone to the PC via the app, but the new phone doesn't want to put itself into receive mode, so no joy that way either)

All of my prevuious phone upgrades have been way easier than this £1000+ phone. 

I suspect it's due to the Android / One UI version, but I'm keen to know if others have had this experience and what they may have done to get around it.

I did decide to simply start downloading apps individually and do everything manually, but I've since noticed that none of the Microsoft apps (Outlook, Launcher, Authenticator etc) which I rely on show up on the app store when I search on this new phone....really confused (both new and old phones logged in with my google creds).

- Graham
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@ILLMIX: I have removed the reference number from your previous reply for data protection purposes. I'm sorry to hear that your phone has been identified as a non-UK model, as this might go some way to explaining why the menu options differ to those found in your  Galaxy S10+. If you purchased the device from O2, then you can discuss this further with them, and look at your options regarding a refund or replacement.

View solution in context

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
ILLMIX
First Poster
Options

Correct - new phone is blank with no data to send. I have put both old and new on same WiFi. However, the only option I get on the new phone to set up from old device is Before any kind of WiFi or other settings. That gives me a prompt to log in to my Samsung account. I type in my email address and hit the arrow button, but it doesn't do anything (never asks for my password) so I always have to say 'skip' at this point. Then the only option is to launch the Smart Switch app (which I have done, and end up with the issue I originally mentioned).

It's a very strange one, but also frustrating as I have now put my new phone back in the box after trying (and failing) for an entire day !

- Graham
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@ILLMIX: Apologies if you have attempted these steps already, however please grab your Galaxy S23 Ultra and head to Settings > Accounts and Backup > Bring data from old device > Receive data > Galaxy/Android > Select 'Wireless' or 'Cable', then follow the on-screen instructions. You may also wish to try the same steps on your Galaxy S10+, but select 'Send data' at the relevant stage. Let me know how you get on. 

0 Likes
ILLMIX
First Poster
Options

Thanks - yes, I have done multiple factory resets with no success.

- Graham
0 Likes
ILLMIX
First Poster
Options

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. This is something else which is strange. If I go to settings on my old S10+, I can find 'accounts and backup' as you suggest. However, on the S23 Utra, there is only 'Accounts'. If I then search for backup whilst in the settings screen, it brings up "Backup & reset", "Backup & restore", "Backup acocunt". However, the only 'restore' related setting in there is "automatic restore" which has an on/off switch and it says "when reinstalling an app, restore backed up settings and data (this is turned on).

I can't find "bring data from old device" anywhere. (on the old S10+ it is exactly as you describe)

Should these options have moved within the OS? (the new is running Android 13 One UI 5.1 whereas the old is running Android 12 One UI 4.1)

- Graham
0 Likes
ILLMIX
First Poster
Options

The more I look at it, the more I see missing. For example, there's no "software update" . In fact there are just 14 items showing under settings on the new phone Vs 24 on my old phone....

- Graham
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@ILLMIX: That is certainly unexpected. Where did you purchase your Galaxy S23 Ultra from? If you head to Settings > About phone > Status information > Phone status, does this say 'Official'? 

0 Likes
ILLMIX
First Poster
Options

I purchased it with a contract through O2 in the UK and it did arrive in a sealed Samsung box with all the stickers matching the IMEI and S/N etc...

If I go to Settings > About Phone there is only 'Status' (not 'Status information') - again, this is different to the old phone. 

If I go to 'Status' it does not have the "Phone status" it simply lists:

Battery Status, Battery Level, SIM status, IMEI Information, IP address, WiFi MAC address, Bluetooth address, Serial number, Uptime

None of the above options get me to anything like a phone status showing official (like it does on my old phone).

I feel like it needs to be forced with a reinstall of the android system, but there's no way that I can see to do that.....

- Graham
0 Likes
ILLMIX
First Poster
Options

I just had a call with a Samsung tech. After checking the IMEI, he advised that this phone was not made in the UK and should not be sold here.....

I'm now on the phone to O2 to get it sorted.

What a total nonsense this has been from point of order to now....Good job I don't have any hair otherwise it would be falling out by now!

- Graham
0 Likes
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@ILLMIX: I have removed the reference number from your previous reply for data protection purposes. I'm sorry to hear that your phone has been identified as a non-UK model, as this might go some way to explaining why the menu options differ to those found in your  Galaxy S10+. If you purchased the device from O2, then you can discuss this further with them, and look at your options regarding a refund or replacement.

0 Likes