Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Folder causing random restarts

(Topic created on: 17-06-2021 09:01 PM)
Clint10101
First Poster
Options

I have an S8 with the latest update installed. So a few days ago my phone started restarting randomly. Tried every fix, completely wiped the phone 3 times (Factory Reset), took it to the service center for fresh software and even a battery change. But nothing fixed it. I even tried safe mode but it didnt work. Thought the Logic board was somehow bad and its casuing it to happen. But I finally figured, the Secure Folder was casuing the problem all along. I dont know since which update caused this to happen. But there is almost no posts about this online except one on some xda developers forum. So here's how it goes, every time you try and install secure folder seperatelly after factory reset or fresh software install, the bug happens so that once every minute the phone would auto reboot, casuing it to heat up and very frustrating to use. So to prevent it from happening, you gotta uninstall secure folder, remove all cache and other possible residues of that app and disable it for good. So until samsung decides to fix this (which they probably wont cause S8 is 5 years old now and no one would care for random and a very rare bug). But I felt like I had to put it out..so there you go.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Clint10101 ,

sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. I would recommend sending an Error Report after the issue happens via our Samsung Members app so this can be investigated. To do this launch the Samsung Members app> Get help> Error reports. 

0 Likes
Ronda_S
First Poster
Options

Issued solved for anyone experiencing this same problem in the future.

I purchased a new phone and opened my secure folder on my S20 to backup the data and prepare it for trade in. My S20 got stuck in the reboot loop and I was afraid a factory reset was my only option before I had transferred everything to my new phone. 

I was able to get my phone to reboot in safe mode. 

• Hold power button until power off/restart menu pops up
  • Select Power off icon
  • Hold Power off icon until it indicates Safe mode, tap again to restart

Once in safe mode I was able to go into settings (Security and privacy) open  my secure folder. Download the data and Uninstall the secure folder. 

I restarted my phone and the restart loop as stopped without a factory reset.

I have no intentions of using the secure folder again on my new phone due to this issue.

0 Likes