Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Translate Widget in Android 11

(Topic created on: 07-07-2021 03:35 PM)
turkeytrots
Explorer
Options

On my previous Galaxy (J5 2016) under Android 7.1.1 the Google Translate Widget only appeared (at least most of the time) when a piece of text was copied. Very convenient.

On my current Galaxy (S20) under Android 11 the widget is either there or not. If it is not you have to activate it in Google Translate settings for it to appear and to be able to use it.

The astute amongst you will realise that I live in foreign parts 🙄 and the widget is indispensable. But it's very annoying for it to be permanently on the screen getting in the way.

Is there a solution or is this an "improvement" I just have to live with?

9 REPLIES 9
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
I use Chrome
When opening the browser
Click on the three horizontal
Buttons - Click translate

Or try the
Google Translate app
0 Likes
turkeytrots
Explorer
Options

Hi

My need, with my apology I did not make clear, is to be able to translate text messages and emails. That's when the problem occurs. As i mentioned the widget popped up when text was copied in the older Android but now has to be on screen permanently it seems, forever getting in the way.

0 Likes
KholaI
Options

Hey @turkeytrots 

Could you perhaps share a screenshot of the widget you're referring to? Is it on the Home Screen, or is it visible everywhere?

0 Likes
turkeytrots
Explorer
Options

Hi KholaI, Many thanks for coming back to me.

The widget, as I called it, is visible everywhere when it is activated by the Translate App (from the Home screen), Settings, Tap to Translate. See screenshots, bottom right. Appear on top needs to be On in Settings, Apps, Translate.

The Help makes no mention that it will pop-up when needed.

It does very much look like this is an "improvement", hopefully to be further "improved" by the next system update.

0 Likes
KholaI
Options

Before I continue, I just want to inform you that I've removed your screenshots as I believed they contained personal info (number plate of car, and text info). 

So, this is an in-app feature and to switch this off you'll have to head into the Google Translate app > 3 lines in the top left > Settings > Tap to Translate > Tap on the switch next to 'Enable', and voila!

0 Likes
turkeytrots
Explorer
Options

To be blunt I wish

a) when people reply to posts in these forums that they would not assume the original poster is totally naïve and

b) they would read the thread before posting.

Specifically:

1. If I was at all worried about those screen shots I would not have used them. I do not need to be mothered

2. I know exactly how to turn the translate shortcut thing on and off.

However why in an “improvement” to Android somewhere between versions 7 and 11 does it not now pop-up as it used to? This is a genuine complaint as I need it for half a dozen or more times a day to translate texts and emails. It is impossible to park the thing on the screen anywhere where it does not get in the way.

What is the point in having to activate it every time it’s needed when it is just as quick to use the main app?

0 Likes
KholaI
Options

The screenshots may not bother you, but as a moderator it's my duty to ensure details aren't exposed on the public platform.

As for the issue with the app icon, it was just a tip I assumed would be helpful. But as this is a Google app, not Samsung, I'd recommend reaching out to them to see if they're able to implement the change you're after.

0 Likes
turkeytrots
Explorer
Options

The same information is posted on the Google Community Forum (with the same screenshots) but the only reply, from an "expert" explained that the floating thing would pop-up when it clearly does not and does not appear to be intended to in Android 11. He must be using an older version of Android.

0 Likes
KholaI
Options

I'd advise taking this up with them again, as they'll be better equipped to look into it.

0 Likes