Did you mean: 

Chat (RCS) not connecting in Samsung Messages or Google Messages

(Topic created on: 28-02-2021 12:04 AM)
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10 (UK)

Version: OneUI 2.5 / Android 10

I've been using my phone in Samsung Messages with Chat (RCS) for months without issue. I could even send Chat messages to a friend who's using Google Messages. I didn't think this would work as I was using Samsung Messages, but it does.

I recently read that Google have finally added Scheduled messaging to Google Messages. So I installed it and was disappointed it doesn't have this feature yet, at least in The UK.

Since then:

Samsung Messages:

Since then Samsung Messages says it's connected to RCS (all seems fine) but I can tell it's not connected as that same friend and someone else I used to send Chat messages to now only give me the option to SMS.

I believe it's struggling to connect as from time to time it asks me to click the Accept button again to turn on Chat.

I've tried:

1. Clearing Application Data/Cache.
  2. Restarting the phone.
  3. Removing and reinserting the SIM card.
  4. Leaving it 24 hours but if I open the previous chat for the two friends I know have Chat on their phones I'm now only ever offered SMS.

Google Messages:

Google Messages connected to Chat the first time. But since going back to Samsung Messages, then back to Google Messages again, I can't get Chat to connect. In hindsight I shouldn't have Google Message's cleared app data but I wanted to be sure only one SMS app was active.

It's always constantly at Setting Up - Trying to Verify your number and never does.

I've tried:

1. Uninstalling/reinstalling Google Messages
  2. Installing Google Play Carrier Services (is this actually needed for EE UK? I think it's for the US)
  3. Clearing Application Data/Cache.
  4. Restarting the phone.
  5. Removing and reinserting the SIM card.
  6. Opting into the Beta program to use the latest version. I've now opted out and am back on the latest stable release.
  7. Leaving it 24 hours. Do I need to leave it Turned Off for 8 days? - https://support.google.com/messages/thread/84900536?msgid=89777417

Right now I'd prefer to use Samsung Messages until Google add scheduled messaging to Google Messages.

But ultimately I just want one of them to connect to Chat. I've been trying for 2 weeks now and neither will connect to Chat.

31 REPLIES 31
bradavon
Navigator
Options

This still isn't working 😞

I even left Google Messages off for 8 days, as posted here, made no difference:

https://support.google.com/messages/thread/84900536?msgid=89777417

I use WhatsApp mostly luckily but if Samsung and Google aren't get their own Chat service working they can't going to get much uptake. I've given up for now and have uninstalled Google Messages. I installed it to get Scheduled Messaging, which isn't available in The UK yet :(.

0 Likes
Members_iWmX1kD
First Poster
Options

Same problem here. No chat service trough EE. I have checked my phone and my dad's - both Samsung. What's even worse, is that on his phone (S9) in Samsung Messages the chat service is active, but it isn't sending texts. Message appears in blue, but does not go through to the recipient.

0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Hi,

Although I believe the issue lies on Google's RCS server, I wonder if it's only occurring for EE users. There's another thread from a Fiona also on EE. She went to the extent of changing her number but it stopped connecting after a week.

For your Dad, do they send to the same person as SMS messages? I guess you could risk turning Char Off and On again.

0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Google Messages just instantly connected. If it doesn't work for you, leave it off 2-3 weeks.

Now Google Messages finally has scheduled messages I didn't try Samsung Messages. The plan was always to move to Google Messages. It's become the iMessage of android.

0 Likes
asggold
Journeyman
Options

Not just an EE issue but in the US too (Verizon). I ran into almost word for word your exact situation above.  After doing tests today I am 99% sure it is a Samsung Messages issue.  Unfortunately, who knows who will resolve this (Samsung, Google, Carriers).  All anyone says to check if it is turned in is if you see the Chat Settings in the menu.  However, I was able to prove today that even though all that is in the many it doesn't actually connect to the RCS servers.

bradavon
Navigator
Options

Yeah it means nothing if it says On, it doesn't actually mean it's connected in Samsung Messages.

What about in Google Messages?

Have you tried leaving it off for 8 days to 3 weeks? Some say 8 days I'm not sure if it was 2 or 3 weeks for me but a reasonable amount of time. I Turned it Off in Google Messages (which at least tells you what it's doing) and uninstalled it. I then wiped Samsung Messages AppData (can't trust the On/Off switch at all) and when it said do you want t use Chat I tapped on Cancel.

I think it's the only way to be sure it's off for your account. I then left it for a good while.

I'd also stick with one, Samsung or Google. Don't try it in both. I reckon we were making it worse by doing this.

asggold
Journeyman
Options

Yea, I got Google Messages working again.  So, I think I am going to stick with that for now.  There are a couple things I like better about Samsung Messages and also that it is native to my watch.  However, the HUGE downfall (other than the RCS doesn't really work) with Samsung messages is the lack of being able to also use on the web.  I have all Mac's and the only app integration now for Samsung Messages that can be used is the Your Phone app that is Windows based.  Messages for Web on Google Messages will work anywhere.  If there was an app or some way to use Samsung Messages on the Mac it might be worth trying to figure all this out but not yet.  Just glad knowing it was not just me having these issues and hopefully one of these companies involved takes ownership to fix the issues.

bradavon
Navigator
Options

You couldn't get it working in Samsung Messages?

Prior to Christmas I had it working fine in Samsung Messages. Granted I didn't try when I re-enabled RCS last Tuesday, but my expectation it would've worked.

Google Messages and Samsung Messages I think both use the Jibe servers so I was expecting whatever the issue was to be cleared on both.

Although Samsung Messages does still seem somewhat reliant on carrier support too. Whereas Google Messages isn't.

I think on the Galaxy S21 (outside of North America) you now get both preinstalled, because like you say Google Messages doesn't support Galaxy Tabs or Galaxy Watches. Not sure which they set as default. Having both is plain dumb, when neither are perfect.

I don't think Samsung are interested in Apple devices, especially since their partnership with Microsoft.

0 Likes
MissChelle
First Poster
Options

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am experiencing the same problems

0 Likes
asggold
Journeyman
Options

No.  Chat still not working correctly in Samsung Messages but everything working perfectly in Google Messages.  So, I decided to just stay with Google Messages for now and not even mess with Samsung Messages anymore.  I did test one more time after a Carrier Services update yesterday to see if, by some chance, that fixed anything but no luck.  Still was not able to chat the same people who chat with over RCS on Google Messages.

0 Likes