Did you mean: 

Chat (RCS) not connecting in Samsung Messages or Google Messages

(Topic created on: 14-01-2021 10:37 PM)
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10 (UK)

Version: OneUI 2.5 / Android 10

I've been using my phone in Samsung Messages with Chat (RCS) for months without issue. I could even send Chat messages to a friend who's using Google Messages. I didn't think this would work as I was using Samsung Messages, but it does.

I recently read that Google have finally added Scheduled messaging to Google Messages. So I installed it and was disappointed it doesn't have this feature yet, at least in The UK.

Since then:

Samsung Messages:

Since then Samsung Messages says it's connected to RCS (all seems fine) but I can tell it's not connected as that same friend and someone else I used to send Chat messages to now only give me the option to SMS.

I believe it's struggling to connect as from time to time it asks me to click the Accept button again to turn on Chat.

I've tried:

1. Clearing Application Data/Cache.
  2. Restarting the phone.
  3. Removing and reinserting the SIM card.
  4. Leaving it 24 hours but if I open the previous chat for the two friends I know have Chat on their phones I'm now only ever offered SMS.

Google Messages:

Google Messages connected to Chat the first time. But since going back to Samsung Messages, then back to Google Messages again, I can't get Chat to connect. In hindsight I shouldn't have Google Message's cleared app data but I wanted to be sure only one SMS app was active.

It's always constantly at Setting Up - Trying to Verify your number and never does.

I've tried:

1. Uninstalling/reinstalling Google Messages
  2. Installing Google Play Carrier Services (is this actually needed for EE UK? I think it's for the US)
  3. Clearing Application Data/Cache.
  4. Restarting the phone.
  5. Removing and reinserting the SIM card.
  6. Opting into the Beta program to use the latest version. I've now opted out and am back on the latest stable release.
  7. Leaving it 24 hours. Do I need to leave it Turned Off for 8 days? - https://support.google.com/messages/thread/84900536?msgid=89777417

Right now I'd prefer to use Samsung Messages until Google add scheduled messaging to Google Messages.

But ultimately I just want one of them to connect to Chat. I've been trying for 2 weeks now and neither will connect to Chat.

31 REPLIES 31
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Since 2nd Jan my chat features in Samsung messages stopped working. It's been working great for months no problems. I did trouble shooting steps with Samsung. No luck there, I factory reset my Note 20 ultra still didn't solve the issue. Contacted EE who done everything there end and also sent a new sim. Its not my phone chat features works fine with other sims. If I put my sim in another device, same problem. Samsung will say registration failed and Google messages just will not verify my number, after so many attempts it will say my device is not compatable. Its completely frustrated me as I can't fix it and don't know why it stopped working in the first place. I posted on here too if anyone else had this issue and how did they fix it, I have tried everything.
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the detailed reply. It looks like you echo much of my experience. Mine stopped working around 28/12/20.

I've not Factory Reset or contacted EE, Samsung or Google Support yet. Contacting support can be laborious. I've not factory reset as I'm unconvinced it's the phone and like you say it didn't fix it for you.

In Samsung Messages I was getting "Registration failed" but aren't now, but am happy it is failing as I know two contacts have RCS enabled and I'm only now offered SMS. Annoyingly in Samsung Messages the On/Off button has no visual indicator to say it's done anything.

Lots of new posts over on Google's forum too. I'm wondering if it's a larger issue Google haven't noticed/aren't letting on yet: 

https://support.google.com/messages

I've also never had a clear answer to how Samsung Messages interpolates with Google Messages?

Does Samsung app use it's own RCS Server, share Google's, is it something different. I know Samsung Messages relies on your carrier supporting RCS (e.g. EE UK does, Sky UK doesn't), whereas Google Messages it doesn't.

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If the phone tells you all is OK, there's a chance your 2 contacts may have RCS issues. Is it a great coincidence? Maybe not as some devices have this issue. Contact them and ask.

You are both in EE, so am I but not on EE firmware and has worked through to Android 11 Beta 3 in my S10.
0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Hi Pugs,

My phone was bought New from a Third Party site, not on EE firmware either.

I'm not sure as Google Messages won't connect though and it can be impossible to know for sure with Samsung Messages as there's no visual indicator to say whether the On/Off button is doing anything.

I know one of the two people has a Nokia 6 (Stock Android 9) with Google Messages on ID Mobile (which uses 3). I can ask this friend the next time I see him (will need to check myself, wouldn't be able to get him to check). The other is the man who serviced my boiler so can't ask him :face-with-tears-of-joy:.

It would also be interesting to see if they can RCS Chat to me. I bet not as it has to register for other phones to know you have RCS enabled. I'll ask the first friend though for sure. Thanks.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Although, I've been using this site for a while I can't see how to send a PM otherwise I'd be happy to help test it.
0 Likes
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
I think Samsung is using Googles rcs server. I had to use Google messages for chat features before it was on samsung messages. And to have both apps fail my number. I have reported the issue with samsungs developers and reported problem with Google. Hope the issue gets fix as I like chat features. Once you've used it for months you don't want to go without it. Going through trouble shooting with Samsung, I found out that my Note 20 ultra cannot load boot menu, I've read that it's a bug with android 11 as other uses have also got this issue. Glad I didn't go ahead with the sending off my device for an engineer to look at. I don't think it's the phone. Its bugs in updates most probably that we will have to wait to be fixed. I hope.
bradavon
Navigator
Options

Hi Pug,

You click on my Name to message. What did you have in mind?

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You could message me or vice versa to test .
0 Likes
bradavon
Navigator
Options

@Pugs1957 wrote:
If the phone tells you all is OK, there's a chance your 2 contacts may have RCS issues. Is it a great coincidence? Maybe not as some devices have this issue. Contact them and ask.

I saw my friend earlier and his Google Chat is still connected and I could messages with other people where Chat was connected. But for me it was SMS only as mine still won't connect.

So sadly nothing wrong his end.

0 Likes