Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shock/dampener for Samsung front loader washing machine (a little technical)?

(Topic created on: 03-02-2024 01:56 AM)
Lkaskel
Apprentice
Options

Hi Everyone,

I have a 5 year old front loader and had the issue of the washer not completing the spin cycle.  After a lot of reserch I came to the conclusion that the shocks/dampeners were bad and I purchased a set of 4 from Amazon.  I have no great expectations with the ones I bought but wanted to see if that solved the problem.  They did, for now.  Part numbers DC66-00470A (front) and DC66-00470B (rear).  Now the technical-ish question.  All 4 original shocks have a condition where the piston moves freely for about 1/2" before it hit resistance.  The replacements have resistance throughout its travel.  Logic tells me that there should not be any free travel and that is why they are bad but I am unsure if the Samsung branded ones have this travel when new or not.  Can anyone tell me if they know that answer?  I did take one of the Samsung shocks apart and they are VERY basic in design.  There is a white plastic insert that has the seal in it.  This piece is the one that causes the resistance but the white plastic piece moves up and down in the shock housing and that is the free movement.  When it reaches the top or bottom of the shock housing the seal still causes the same level resistance of the replacement shocks.  I do have a thought about how I could modify the original one to have no play but really want to know what one is like as new.  Can anyone answer that for me?

Thanks!!!

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

sorry I dont know the answer to your question - but that must be a high range top end Samsung you have there with 4 shock absorbers fitted to the drum. They normally ever have only 2 absorbers  at the bottom of the drum
What model number is your Samsung washing machine if you dont mind me asking?

Lkaskel
Apprentice
Options

Hi Andy,

The washer is a Samsung Wf45K6500AW/A2

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

ah right its becoming clear now, are you in the US? it sounds like this model is for that market. This is the EU forum for Samsung washing machines I am reading it on and the EU ones as far as I am aware only have the 2 shock absorbers at the bottom - of course I could be wrong.

Lkaskel
Apprentice
Options

Oh My, I did not realize that I had seleced the EU forum.  Yes I am in the US.  It is strange that the machines would differ.  Can't we all just wash our clothes them same?  😃

Thanks Andy!!!

andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

yes its a strange one, maybe when you go on the US samsung community forum maybe it also posts onto the european community one too I dont know. But the US do have different markets / models for washing machines and laundry in general . There used to be a big preference example for US and other countries for Top Loading washing machines where UK/Ireland and a lot of europe the market is flooded with front loading washing machines. 

Yes, strange you have 4 shock absorbers on your drum , that would say to me better built ... however if you say the 4 are of poor quality design , then maybe a washing machine with 2 good quality shock absorbers off better than 4 poor quality/design shock absorbers. 

Good luck with your repairs though. 

AntS
Options

The US Samsung Community is separate from this one, but I've found that Google and the like can lead you to all sorts of 'exotic' places. 😄

@Lkaskel , The US Samsung Community is here: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Home-Appliances/ct-p/get-help-home-appliances?page=1&tab=recent_... if you want to post your query on there too. Hopefully, they have an American version of andy_in_ireland there. 😊