Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Fridge Freezer (RSG5UCRS1) not holding temperature

(Topic created on: 19-11-2020 05:29 PM)
Nontechmile
Pioneer
Options

Although display says both fridge and freezer are at the requested temperature they are not.  I have checked with a separate fridge freezer thermometer.  If a do a reset (turn it off for a few minutes) the temp display now shows the correct temperature (albeit only about -6 in Freezer and 9 in fridge) but then slowly shows both temperatures reducing towards the set temperature (-19 Freezer and 3 for fridge).  However, when I check the temperature manually it is still way too warm - another reset and the display again shows the correct temperature.    So bottom line is the fridge freezer seems to think it is achieving the asked for temperatures but in reality it is not.

I have had it 8 years - it is still in same location it has always been.  All door seals look good.  All other functions (eg ice making) seem to be OK.  No build up of ice inside the fridge or freezer.    Any suggestions as to probable problem - fan, compressor, thermostat, coolant leak, mother board controller, etc??

PS. What is the warranty on the Compressor - I seem to recall it was 10 years.

0 Likes
Go to solution
41 REPLIES 41
Nontechmile
Pioneer
Options

Still getting the odd -12/-14 event.  Not sure if this is normal?  Any suggestions??

0 Likes
Members_xhCYG4v
First Poster
Options

Hi, sorry to trouble you but I am having the same issue at the moment so I'm going to try powering it off for 24hrs like you did as my  freezer is -2 and fridge +7. Did you have to empty out your freezer or did the stuff keep whilst switched off? Also did you ever get it fixed completely.  Any help would be much appreciated. 

0 Likes
Nontechmile
Pioneer
Options

I had to empty the freezer because I was told you have to leave it powered off long enough to allow and frost/ice that has formed round the sensor to completely melt - they advised leaving it off for at least 24 hours.  I borrowed a friends freezer space to temporarily keep my roof frozen.   I did this and when I switched it back on it went to the set temperature and for a while at least stayed there.  However over the following days I had examples of similar behaviour again - the display would simply report the requested temperature (-19) but periodically the freezer would go much warmer for a while and then return to the set temperature. The fridge sections seems to work perfectly.  I have now fitted a temp monitor inside the freezer and I can see that pretty well every day the temp goes warmer than -15 for an hour or so and then goes back to the setting of -19.  Maybe this is part of the process the freezer uses to keep the freezer cabinet "ice free".  Or maybe its just broken.  I really dont know.  I am loathed to throw away a Fridge Freezer that cost around £1500 in case this is not a fault.  That said surely letting the freezer keep oscillating from above -15 and  down to -20 (whilst all the time set to -19 and the display says -19) is not ideal for long term storage of frozen food.  Nobody at Samsung seems capable of answering this question.  Sorry I cant be much more help.

0 Likes
Members_xhCYG4v
First Poster
Options

Thanks for your help. I purchased a cheap chest freezer to store my frozen stuff. I have pulled the fridge out emptied it and thoroughly cleaned it. I powered it off but only for about 16 hours. Couldn't see any sign of ice build up anywhere and switched it on for about 2hrs now and freezer is not really doing anything.  Fridge Seams cold enough. Have reset it again and temps are +19  freezer +6 fridge. Don't know if it's worth getting repaired as had it at least 10 yrs

0 Likes
Nontechmile
Pioneer
Options

Yeah, I have the same dilemma.  I have been disappointed with the lack of help from Samsung - they wouldn't even send an Engineer out at my expense to assess it - so although my house is full of Samsung stuff I may consider a different make next time.

0 Likes
yttam84
First Poster
Options
Have you had any further feedback on this as mine is doing the same only about 16months old we used to get a build up of ice on the bottom draw after looking over we see the bottom seal had been bend so it wasn't sealing and was sucking in air a tech come out and bend it back but after a few days it molded back to its normal shape and the ice was back so I pulled the seal off a little and this seemed to have sorted it just before Xmas we then see that all the lollys in the door had melted we thought one of the kids had left the door open. The next morning they were still not frozen so we then started looking at other bits like blocked vents and so another tech come out and said the heater wasn't working with out even opening it so OK after 3 weeks waiting for parts they came and fitted the parts to then switch it on yesterday afternoon and 3 hrs later its at temp so put some water in there to see that it would freeze and its still water this morning.
0 Likes
Nontechmile
Pioneer
Options
Sorry to hear your problem is not fixed. No change from my end - I still experience short periods when freezer warms up to around -15 or so before it returns to the set level of -19. Display just states -19 throughout this change.
0 Likes
RobLexy
Explorer
Options

I’m getting exactly the same problem with my 24 year old fridge freezer. (SS22WH1). The freezer and fridge achieve the target temperatures then gradually warm up despite the displayed temperatures remaining the same.  I emptied it completely, switched off for 3 days, stripped down completely. There had been some ice build up and a blocked drain, I checked the defrost heaters were ok with a multimeter. No signs of any other problems. A good clean and reassembled, it looks like new and appeared to work like new. Powered on and it achieved target temperatures within 6 hours, so it still has good cooling capability. Overnight the temps had changed from -20 to -10 and from 3 to 5, despite still indicating-20 and 3 on the display. Switched it off for a minute and back on and the display then correctly states -10 and 5 and resumes cooling again. It’s very frustrating. I’m now suspecting the control board but I don’t know whether to invest anything in such an old appliance unless its a sure fix. Any ideas? The usual suspects have been discounted : no ice build up, drains are clear, temp sensors work fine, defrost heaters appear functional, door seals fine. 

0 Likes
Nontechmile
Pioneer
Options
Did you find out how much a control board costs? Are they just plug & play?
0 Likes
RobLexy
Explorer
Options

No chance of sourcing a new control board, I have tried, besides I don’t think it needs replacing. I’m 50-50 confident I’m close to fixing it. Downloaded the service manual and it describes the very same problem and how it occurs. 
On power on, the fridge goes straight into cooling mode until the target temps are achieved. After 4 hours, it enters a defrost cycle. If there is a problem with the auto defrost system, it will enter manual defrost cycle which turns the compressor off and temps rise. 
Using the service manual diagnostics, I have confirmed the Freezer defrost sensor has failed (but interestingly not failed enough for the self diagnostic check to fail). £9 on ebay for replacement part on the way. All other defrost system parts appear to be functional (thermal fuse, air temp sensor, defrost heater and drain heater). Once I have replaced the defrost sensor, I can force run the defrost system and see if it works. The only other possible problem is the defrost relays (on the pcb) but I will only be able to check them once I’ve replaced the defrost sensor. Wish me luck lol