Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Fridge Freezer (RSG5UCRS1) not holding temperature

(Topic created on: 19-11-2020 05:29 PM)
Nontechmile
Pioneer
Options

Although display says both fridge and freezer are at the requested temperature they are not.  I have checked with a separate fridge freezer thermometer.  If a do a reset (turn it off for a few minutes) the temp display now shows the correct temperature (albeit only about -6 in Freezer and 9 in fridge) but then slowly shows both temperatures reducing towards the set temperature (-19 Freezer and 3 for fridge).  However, when I check the temperature manually it is still way too warm - another reset and the display again shows the correct temperature.    So bottom line is the fridge freezer seems to think it is achieving the asked for temperatures but in reality it is not.

I have had it 8 years - it is still in same location it has always been.  All door seals look good.  All other functions (eg ice making) seem to be OK.  No build up of ice inside the fridge or freezer.    Any suggestions as to probable problem - fan, compressor, thermostat, coolant leak, mother board controller, etc??

PS. What is the warranty on the Compressor - I seem to recall it was 10 years.

0 Likes
Go to solution
41 REPLIES 41
Nontechmile
Pioneer
Options
Thanks again Rob. Hope your new one has a nice long life
Taliesins
First Poster
Options

I experienced very similar problem to yourself and was inspired by this post to fix my RS67N8210S9 fridge, which broke basically the second warranty expired on it (2 years). Samsung manual and repair manuals are woefully inadequate.

The symptoms:

• Temperature reported in freezer started at -4 and in a few hours changed to -19
  • Reset by pushing the two buttons left the temperature at -19
  • Pulling the power cable out and waiting 10 seconds and then plugging it back in reset the temperature back to -4  (this is what made me think faulty controller board)
  • Freezer would start getting cold but then go warm. I placed a bowl of water in the freezer and it started forming a tiny amount of ice after an hour, but a couple of hours later all the ice melted
  • The ice machine stopped producing ice blocks

The problem for me was that I did not understand that there is a defrost temperature probe and a temperature probe. I actually brought both cables but could not located where the temperature probe goes and assumed it just depended on the model fridge on the connector that was needed i.e. that it was the same sensor but a different connector (this is not the case).

All the youtube videos show the replacement of the defrost temperature probe (if you see anything being clipped onto or near the radiator, its the defrost temperature probe). But I think for most Samsung fridges the temperature probe is inside the panel that you remove to get to the defrost heater. In my case there were two back panels and I only removed the bottom panel. The temperature sensor was in the top panel!

Attempt 1 (replaced defrost heater and defrost temperature probe)

Attempt 2 - (replace controller pcb. I thought one of the pcb boards was faulty)

Attempt 3 - this solved my problem (replaced the temperature probe. As soon as I turned on fridge it reported the freezer temperature as 11 and not as -4)

0 Likes