Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly Lost for Words

(Topic created on: 20-04-2023 04:15 PM)
Rixie
Apprentice
Options

Hi everyone,

I'm really not sure where to post this, but I'll try here.  Today, I went to the Samsung Experience Store in Manchester to see about getting my Fold3 repaired.

Yes, I bought it second hand but after asking I was assured that the warranty would still be honoured.  So along I went to ask for help.  Before I carry on, I should mention that the 'damage' was to the fold part of the inner screen.  It was half working, but according to the Samsung website it should be covered under warranty.

So, back to today....I was 'greeted' by a member of staff who directed me to a table.  I waited there for a few minutes before he came back.  I explained the situation to him and he asked permission to show an engineer.  I assumed that he would look after my phone.   I was wrong.

He came back out a few minutes later with it and asked me to unlock my phone to 'prove it was mine'.  After this, he told me that it could be repaired....at a cost of £480.  I really cant afford that as I'm on a fixed income on benefits.  I asked about the warranty, but he pointed out a few minor scratches on the hinge (and I do me minor) and said that due to those it wouldn't be covered. 

I told him that I couldn't afford that, to which he replied that he could sell me a cheaper phone.  Uh, no.  I did try and ask him if there was anything he could, to which he started getting very condescending and essentially told me it was my fault as I bought a second hand phone and 'its like buying a second hand car, you get second hand problems'.

At this point, due to the manner in which he spoke to me I was in tears and left the store.  I calmed myself down.  I checked the phone and then found that the screen was now totally broken.  I just am lost for words over this.

Maybe this is all my fault, but I would expect a certain level of customer service.  I have worked in CS positions before, and I would have been reprimanded if I had spoken to a customer like that.  I have no idea what to do now, but what I do know is that I will never buy another Samsung product.  When I can afford it, I will be replacing my galaxy watch and tablet.

I'm just highly disappointed all being said and lost for words.  I have no idea what to say anymore.

9 REPLIES 9
Mark1192
Pioneer
Options
I had a terrible experience in the Newcastle store two years ago, complained to head office and got everything sorted out. Maybe send an email to them?
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
There is a warranty on the inner screen, however you won't know if there were previous warranty claims or how it was treated.
They plug in diagnostic equipment and can see if there has been a heavy drop or water damage.
Seems like any damages cosmetically seems to have a baring on claims.
You can always try complaining to Customer Support.
Alternatively if you have household insurance, worth seeing if this can pay part or all of the repair if its part of the policy
Some bank accounts include phone repairs as one of the perks of having the account.
There are various mobile insures out there that can cover accidental damage. Don't know if this would be covered.

Unfortunately if they deem the damage to be the potential cause. There's not a lot an change the outcome.
Had a similar thing with my Note 20 Ultra. Had to pay the full cost of the new screen.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Rixie  Whilst I appreciate  that some need to buy second hand  at times it can be a false economy.  The staff member may not have had the best manner  but unfortunately cosmetic damages do have a bearing and accidental damage is not covered under warranty.  As @Glenntech  mentioned you might  have at least some cover from insurance policies,best to check out.  Samsung Care Plus does cover the accidental part but notice cosmetic damage is excluded, in any case needs to be taken out within 6 months of purchase.

you do have the right to raise it with Customer support to see if you have redress,though no guarantee. on another point there are varying experiences with Samsung customer services and can be bad experiences with any company.   However at the end of the day it is your decision.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Rixie
Apprentice
Options
Hi, I do understand what you're saying. However the damage wasn't caused by an accident. I opened up my fold and the screen just developed a bubble and dead area.
As well as that, since the employee has handled my phone the screen is now completely dead. I know I didn't do this, it happened in his care. He has to take some responsibility for this.
I'm really sorry if I sound off, but I'm really upset by this.
0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

Hi there, @Rixie. I'm sorry that you've not managed to achieve the outcome you desired on this occasion. It's very important that you feel valued as a customer, which I can assure you is the case, and that you get your Z Fold3 working as expected again.

In the event that a fault on your phone is found not to be a manufacturing defect, then the repair may indeed be chargeable; examples of this may include evidence of the device not being used in accordance with the instruction manual, or external damage, which may affect the structural integrity of the device.

While we cannot override the decision the engineer has reached, you are certainly free to request a second opinion and you can arrange another inspection and repair via the self-service repair portal below:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/repair/

There are several repair options available. 

It's vital, however, that you know that you are a very valued customer and I know that I speak for my colleagues as well by underlining that fact. Your loyalty to Samsung is very much appreciated.

I highly recommend reaching out to our Support Teams, if you have any questions about arranging another inspection (or if you would like this to be arranged on your behalf).

I also recommend reporting your repair experience, so that this can be fed back to the Samsung Experience Store in question (and so that you can be advised of any next steps):

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/

In terms of the Samsung Experience Store feedback, we could also raise this for you, but would just need some more information (as this would be personal to you, we would not request this publicly).

So, if it's easier for you, please send a private message to Sam_UK by following the steps in the link below, and I or one of the other Moderators will be able to get this escalated for you:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm...

If you decide to liaise with one of our other Support Teams, however, please keep us updated on this thread.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Rixie  Accidental damage is not necessarily the same as an accident and can result from usage , interpretation may be strict at times.  with regards to the screen and staff member best to raise this point with support and you have the right to arrange another inspection as @PaulM1  mentioned.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Babishko
Hotshot
Options
@Rixie, you are living many people's nightmare at this point in time. I just had to reply to your posting just to get across to you that IN NO WAY is this your fault. Don't even think that for one second. I respect your clarity of mind and purpose to vent here on this forum, and I hope some of the good advice given above by good people can put you someway towards some sort of resolution for you. If I were in your shoes I would not have handled things as well as you for sure. My temper may have gotten the better of me I must confess. What a total nightmare for you. The hairs on the back of my neck were up just reading your post.
Good luck to you @Rixie. I hope you end up getting some satisfaction out of this mess. I have been a student myself in the past and know how tight money can be, and just how important tech devices are for a student especially. I really hope your fortune changes and that light at the end of this tunnel is quick to show itself. 👍
0 Likes
Members_OK3kwPw
First Poster
Options

I had exactly the same  experience as yourself in there today,  same phone  same problem and same excuses for not fixing it. I have always been a fan of Galaxy phones,  today's experience has changed that, considering the cost of these phones the warranty issued with them is not worth the paper they are written on. A terrible service. 

0 Likes
AdamJR
Explorer
Options
Declining a repair under warranty for a cosmetic scratch sounds now like them trying to blow you off. Speak to Citizens Advice regarding this. They cannot do that
0 Likes