Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange 'crack' appearing on folds display

(Topic created on: 19-07-2022 06:05 PM)
nxxi
Student
Options
Hi all. Last week I noticed a small crack/break appearing on my fold 3s display right in the fold at the bottom of the internal screen. It's doubled in size in the past week and I'm concerned it's going to break, I'm not sure if it's the screen or screen protector.  It's a little difficult to get a photo but I've tried my best. 

Anyone come across this before? I'm due to upgrade next month and I don't want this going out of warranty or being refused on the upgrade programme. 

The phone hasnt been dropped or damaged in any way and has always had a case fitted.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Chippy_Muncher
Navigator
Options
This problem is common on most foldable devices but I believe samsung is offering repairs for free or discounted prices as long as the devices is still under warranty
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I've had my phone since launch and I have not experienced any issues with the display.
But it look like in your case the screen protector is damaged.
Do you have a Samsung Experience Store or service centre near you that you can book in for?
Apparently the screen protector is easy enough to remove done carefully. But I'd personally not go down that route
0 Likes
nxxi
Student
Options
Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have a Samsung store anywhere near me so it's not an option. If it's just the screen protector I can manage with it for another month before I send it back.

If it is damaged it's only from wear and tear rather than misuse so I wonder if it's covered under warranty...
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It should be covered, but it seems the third party repairers can take issues and refuse warranty repairs.
Only way to know is send it in.
There are third party screen protectors if you feel you are able to remove the old one and install a new one.
Mark29359
Helping Hand
Options
I had the same problem with my flip 3 and read many horror stories of people without any damage on their phones getting charged hundreds of pounds to have it repaired. I have removed mine. it is just the screen saver and if you are Changing your phone next month then I would live with it. I personally will never get another folding phone even though I love my flip 3 because of the lack of support.
Members_EwAWPpP
Student
Options

DONT BUY THE FLIP/FOLD phones from Samsung. They will do all they can to reject a warranty repair.

I waited for the 2nd generation of the Z Flip 3 phone after seeing how poorly the 1st generation flip phone performed. As soon as the zip flipped 3 arrived I purchased one only to find out 4 months down the line the screen started lifting from the fold, 5 months down-the-line I noticed what appeared to be hairline cracks on either edge of the hinge. I initially thought was a fault with the screen protector therefore I carefully remove the screen protector with the aim of getting it replaced by ee or at a samsung store only to find that the actual screen had the hairline fractures at the corner of each hinge along the fold! Month 6 and I can now see little cracks all along the fold! Due to this major fault with the screen happening only 5 months into my purchase I decided to have the phone sent back to EE for a warranty repair.

I keep all my Tech Gear in top condition and look after everything I own with a high degree of care. The phone I sent to EE was in immaculate condition with not a dent or  mark on the device. A few days later I received the paperwork advising that my phone was user damaged and that there will be a charge of 360 pounds to replace the screen!  I argued the case with  EE and took it as high as I could but they advised that the phone is not covered under warranty because it is user damaged? I asked on what grounds was the phone rejected and deemed user damaged when it is in immaculate condition bar the the screen cracking at the fold? They would not respond stating that their technicians make this diagnosis which EE have no control over. Ee offered £50 which I rejected, and i asked to take this further.

I was advised that I will need to reach out to the  Ombudsman and also Samsung directly.  I called Samsung Who advised that I would need to take my phone in to Samsung repair centre at Newcastle-upon-Tyne where they will inspect and have this repaired on the day.

After calling the Samsung centre at this location and informing them of what has happened so far the agent advised me to bring the phone in, which was a good 1 and a 1/2 hour journey. After I got on site they looked at the phone assessed it and advised the phone is in great condition but because the screen protector has been removed the warranty is void and that there will be a charge of 270 pounds to repair the phone. At this stage I was fuming due to poor advice from the Samsung centre wasting my time travelling in with a child to turn down the repair. I asked why they didn't ask if the protector was removed over the phone, to which the assessor just smiled! At this stage was quite angry and advised that this is an unacceptable level of service and very unprofessional, but got no response from the woman and was only given a number to call Samsung directly.

I called Samsung a technician took the case reference number and also half an hour of my time to listen to the problems I have faced to date only to advise me again that there's nothing they can do as the warranty was voided due to the screen protector being removed. 

Again I argued the case that the screen is fatally flawed, and that I actually use the phone at most 10 times a-day  which is a far cry from the claims of the phone enduring a 100 flips A-day! They were straight down the line with voided warranty and wished me a wonderful day!

My home is reliant totally on the Samsung ecosystem with the exception of this device which has been a major letdown. I have always purchased high end Samsung technology looking at forums I can see that it's not just an isolated case, these phone screens are failing for many people. I can imagine a recall for the flawed device being very costly for Samsung therefore the excuse of the screen protector being removed voiding the warranty is a successful cop out! Buy this phone at ur own risk, I have wasted too much of my time and energy in trying to getting this phone rightfully repaired at no cost to me and failing. I will be reaching out to the Ombudsman who will independently assess the issue.... let's see if this works?

ponchyy
Journeyman
Options

I am having the same issue with them, after sending my device in and being asked of the condition, tmt first respond with user damage to hinge means I need a new screen and battery replacement at £279! There is nothing wrong with the screen or battery it's just my protector that started lifting at the fold and I was advised by samsung to send it to them for free replacement, now they have my phone I have asked them to charge me for just the screen protector replacement and they are refusing saying they will only do the screen replacement at £279!! 

Samsung said they would send me a report but I'm still waiting for it! I just had a email from DPD delivery after insisting on an explanation of where my phone is and them telling me they will raise it with the relevant department.

The problem is Tmt first they are using shady and fraudulent business practices, I have raised this with Samsung but they don't seem at all bothered. 

I have said the phone Must be returned in the same condition they received it and I have photo evidence of the phone. The phone was sent with the screen protector on albeit with it lifting at the fold so if it is damaged or removed I will not accept it as it's not in the same condition I sent it to them in and if they have caused damage to it they will be responsible for that damage.

Let me know how you get on, I'm planning on maybe starting a petition or something but not sure where to start so will have to research or find some assistance first. 

I do think if we all band together we will be able to resolve this, with press and social media it only takes the right person to be effected by thus issue and it will be everywhere and hopefully the fraudsters will be brought to justice for their crimes in these hard times.

0 Likes