Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable PIN and use biometric security only?

(Topic created on: 08-09-2022 09:53 AM)
j123456789
Pathfinder
Options

What's the point to have a fingerprint scan if all you need is the PIN code to unlock the phone?

I have look ever where to see if I can disable the PIN (or swipe, password etc..) and use biometric security only, but it seems impossible. 

Am I missing something here?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Neo001
Legend
Options

Hi,

PIN/Password/pattern cannot be circumvented. This is a security feature.

Refer attached screenshot.

Screenshot_20220908-112529_Settings.jpg

j123456789
Pathfinder
Options
That's my point. PIN is not secure at all but somehow it has a priority over other biometric security measures.

It only make sense if Samsung biometric security is less secure than a PIN code.
0 Likes
Neo001
Legend
Options

Agreed that it's not secure as secure as Biometrics. However, its a required feature for remote unlocking via Find my mobile.

Screenshot_20220908-115550_Find My Mobile.jpg

0 Likes
Richmar83
Helping Hand
Options
PIN / Password is required to meet Android's internal security policies. Biometric data cannot be used for functions such as initial security when an handset is powered on, bootloader functions etc as the stored encoded fingerprint data is not accessible; it is only once the base level security is passed that Biometrics becomes enabled. To meet the security policy then even with biometrics enabled the handset will trigger the entry of PIN / Passcode after a certain number of lock / unlock cycles.
There also always needs to be a fall back for Biometric failure, be that hardware, software, or the loss of your fingers!

As a DF practitioner then I can assure you that passwords can be as, if not more, secure than Biometrics 😉
j123456789
Pathfinder
Options
It just seems to be a giant step backwards in terms of mobile phone security that anyone can unlock my phone with a PIN and make all other biometric security redundant.
Bodger
First Poster
Options
Only if they have your PIN.
0 Likes
purpleleaves
First Poster
Options

it's very insecured when you have a large screen that flash the code that you just typed in, even if it just flash for 0.5 seconds. for the policy, it says it needs to enter PIN if fingerprint is used, for every 72 hours. but why it keeps asking me like every few minutes? .......