What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Smart Switch Problem in Windows 10

(Topic created on: 26-04-2020 07:58 PM)
Options

I have been using Samsung Smart Switch in Windows 10 to backup my Samsung S9+. However, now I have a problem in starting the Samsung Smart Switch. After launching, it tries to update the program, but fails everytime. I have tried to re-install the program with no success (downloading a new version of the program from the Samsung download center), and even tried it in two different computers. Any ideas to get the Samsung Smart Switch running again.

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
ChickenWing
First Poster
Options

Try to run Smart Switch with admin privileges.    Right click on the launch icon, and choose "Run As Administrator".   See if that helps.  Works for me.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

There can be problems if you have multiple Visual C++ components on your computer (Windows 10) , if that is the issue for anyone.

Solution which has worked for some is:

Uninstall all of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages from the PC, 2005, 2008, etc., both x86 and x64
- Install only Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86), regardless if the PC/W is x86 or x 64
- Install Smart Switch

See more on this thread : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/other-smartphones/smart-switch-for-windows-10-64bit

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
userp5sTumUXW6
First Poster
Options

I'm having a similar issue except when I start the samsung switch program on my pc and allow it to update it gets all the way to the end and then I get an error message saying a newer version of the program is already installed. When I click "OK", the program closes.

0 Likes
G0UDG
Voyager
Options
having the same issue with smart switch I have upgraded to the s21 ultra and need to save my settings and apps etc, on clicking the icon it tries to update starts download and closes after 100% even clicking cancel doesnt work I'm on windows,10 pro 64 anyone got a solution for this
0 Likes
BobF1
First Poster
Options

I got it to work by unplugging my network cable. Then it worked fine.

0 Likes
Duncani
Student
Options

I had the same issue. Here's how I solved it:

After SmartSwitch closes unexpectedly, go to this temp folder (replace username by your windows username):

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Samsung\Smart Switch PC\TempFiles

You will find in that folder the update file that was actually downloaded but never starts. For me, it was that version but I guess you may have a different version now:

SmartSwitchPC_4.2.21034_7.temp

Change the extension to exe, then double click SmartSwitchPC_4.2.21034_7.exe and the update will be applied.

AndrewWerdna
First Poster
Options

This worked perfectly for me. Kudos to your ability to figure out the solution and thank you for making it available to us.  Well done!

0 Likes
xffantasy_
First Poster
Options

I had the same issue. Here's how I fixed it.

Open registry and go to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAMSUNG\Smart Switch PC

Change the LocalVer string to 4.2.21034_7 (or whatever version you currently have installed)

0 Likes
NeilG4
Apprentice
Options

You are much better off not using Smart Switch or even the Samsung USB driver, and just let Windows 10 do it's thing with everything. When I tried using the latest SS it crashed my workstation giving me a black screen on both monitors. Before that happened Windows Explorer just said 'working on it' for ages, and the task bar vanished!

0 Likes