Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S24 normal Camera Issue and Focus problems

(Topic created on: 09-05-2024 11:47 AM)
Prism3
Journeyman
Options

I got my new S24 normal (no plus or ultra) the other day. Tried to take a photo of an electrical part today in normal daylight and thought I couldn't see properly. The camera focuses strangely, so I wasn't able to take a sharp picture as it only focuses on certain areas as if it was a protrait or something. I took out my old iPhone 12 Mini for comparison and the photos look a lot better than the new ones from the S24. What's wrong with that? I haven't installed Camera Assistand or whatever it's called, and I haven't done much in the settings except for activating the grid and geotagging. 

Here are the comparison pictures:

samsung1.jpg

Here at the bottom right you can see that nothing is legible at all, as the focus is somehow in the middle

iphone_whatsapp3.jpeg

Here the same with iphone 12 mini and even sent to the computer via whatsapp

samsung4.jpg

Here is one from far away with s24 

20240509_122141.jpg

Here is the top banger s24

67f3c4b2-e1de-4a1c-99ab-cf7792bf9e44.jpeg

and here the same with the iphone 12 mini, you can see how detailed the whole thing is and even though I sent it to the computer with whatsapp

That can't be normal, can it?

The main thing is more AI, right? 😃 OMG the photos are so garbage when I look at them on the big screen

Greetings

12 REPLIES 12
Chase5
Student
Options

I've had the same issues with mine. Lots of trouble focusing correctly. Sometimes you can't even tell where the focus is at

0 Likes
Prism3
Journeyman
Options

you write I had, have you been able to solve the problems?

0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
When you are taking a photo relatively close to the subject sometimes an icon for focus enhancer appears on the screen. If you click that you can see if it alleviates your problem. I tend to avoid that feature however but it can be useful. Generally when I'm taking photos of objects that aren't uniform and have depth to them I will use the 3x lens to capture it from further away to make sure everything is in focus.Screenshot_20240509_133118_Camera_1000003659_1715258680.png
Chase5
Student
Options

Thanks, I'll try these

0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Forgot to mention too that if you want to focus on a particular area of a photo just tap the screen once on that area and a yellow box should appear and shift focus to that area.
0 Likes
Prism3
Journeyman
Options

Screenshot_20240509_145639_Camera.jpgthanks for your tips, I'm not actually that close to the object. Unfortunately, I don't have the symbol at the bottom left and when I tap the area (in this case the electronic part), only a lock symbol appears

Screenshot_20240509_145042_Camera.jpgScreenshot_20240509_145143_Camera.jpg

Even on the screenshot you can see how badly the camera focuses

0 Likes
Prism3
Journeyman
Options

Wow, look at that

20240501_123148.jpgzoomed.png

I zoomed in on the left side, the same, but not as strong on the right side.

Is a Samsung employee reading this? This must be a defect, it can't be a camera of a flagship?

0 Likes
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
Try putting the camera very close to the object and see if it pops up, then you can click on it then move back to your selected distance. From the photos it appears to me you are relatively close to the object and you will be able to achieve a much better (and less distorted) photo if you just capture it further away and cropping in from a 50mp photo or by using the zoom lens. The thing is the iPhone 12 mini uses a 1/3.6-inch sensor with a 23 mm equivalent f/2.2-aperture lens. The Samsung S24 uses a 1/1.56″ sensor with a 24mm equivalent f/1.8-aperture lens. As sensor size increases, the depth of field will decrease for a given aperture. The sensor on the Samsung is twice as big so there will be a shallower depth of field.
0 Likes
Prism3
Journeyman
Options

I tried to go very close to the object, but the symbol is simply not displayed. Never mind. Here's one taken with 3x camera, that's not normal, is it?

20240509_155539.jpg

You simply don't recognize anything in the lower area anymore

I don't think that has anything to do with depth of field or the like either

0 Likes