Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display quality issues

(Topic created on: 3 weeks ago)
Wojciech L
First Poster
Options

Hello, 

I got my samsung s24 Ultra last week and I noticed the display has problems with color banding and looking grainy.

I took few pictures with my other phone. The problem of banding is clearly visible  while watching movies or even on the default wallpaper. I also included a picture of gradient picker on the browser that clearly show rough transition between two colors. 

1714804579006.jpg

 Above default wallpaper. 

1714804578986.jpg

Above scene from a series with banding issues. All dark scenes look like this.

1714804578945.jpg

Above gradient picker on chrome browser.  Top part of the picture has clearly visible vertical lines - instead of it being a clear color transition. 

I had a feeling that the screen feels grainy,  like a sand paper, so I found a video on YouTube that tests grey colors. At some point I was able to notice that the color is not uniform but instead has brighter spots.

1714804578966.jpg

Above grainy color issue. I recommend looking at it in a dark environment. 

Screenshot_20240504_085551_Gallery.jpg

Above closeup of the grainy screen. 

The problem is especially visible in dark conditions. 

I modified screen settings few times but I always got the same results. 

Please let me know if this is normal with this phone or if it is fixable. What can i do with it?

I recommend checking my pictures in a darker environment - makes it easier to spot the problems.

Thank you, 

Wojciech 

3 REPLIES 3
Babishko
Big Cheese
Options
Unfortunately Wojciech, your display problem is known as 'mura'. Basically, this means that each individual display pixel is having a difficult time maintaining the same brightness level as surrounding pixels. This is a permanent hardware issue that cannot be fixed by any future software update. Some S24 series devices are affected by this problem, and a replacement device is the only way forward. I do not know where you got your device from, but your seller may have a defective batch of devices, so I recommend you test any replacement device for the same problem as early as you can if you use the same seller. Good luck to you.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
As. Mentioned some batches have issues with the grain.

I personally don't seem to have it or am probably blind as a bat.

I do have the annoying banding issue specially on YouTube where the YouTuber might have a grey background.

There is a setting on YouTube where you can turn the ambiance settings off which helps a bit..
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options

I hope they replace your handset quicker than mine was suppose to be. If I had waited this is back in January I would have received my replacement 3 weeks ago 🙈

0 Likes