Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S23 serie July 2023 firmware disabled "High Bitrate Video" in 8k video mode, possibly also HDR10+ in 8k - please bring it back

(Topic created on: 26-07-2023 03:43 PM)
Maveno
Journeyman
Options

Samsung silently worsened Galaxy S23's (S23, S23+, S23 Ultra) 8k 30 fps video quality with firmware update in July 2023.

Samsung camera app was updated on 29th of June 2023 from version 13.1.01.28 (which worked great) to unfortunate version 13.1.01.35.

No more "high bitrate video" in 8k 30 fps mode. It worked wonderfully before the recent update.
It saved 8k videos in stunning 200 Mbit/s high bitrate. Now, after the update only 80 Mbit/s as "high bitrate video" setting in "Advanced Video Options" is greyed out and no possibility to turn it back again.

Samsung, bring back high bitrate video of 8k30 mode to S23 Samsung Camera app like it was till 29 of June 2023 with Camera version 13.1.01.28.
Do not do such things to customers making them really angry. Do not remove crucial high-end features in camera app.

What is worse, the firmware update changed binary version of boot loader to 3, making it impossible to revert to June 2023 S23 firmware version which worked great for 8k video quality.

I unpacked my new S23, took a few videos with "high bitrate video' setting in 8k  and tapped to update.

What a bad surprice was after the update, to see, that "High Bitrate Video" is greyed out in 8k and not possible to turn on (the same with HDR10+ switch) and there is just crappy 80 Mbit/s standard mode, saving low quality 8k videos.

If somebody knows what happened and if Samsung Camera will get that setting back again please write a word.

HDR10+ recording in 8k would be great to enable too.

I would love to revert to  Samsung Camera app version  13.1.01.28, which was released on 26 April 2026 and worked very good, with HBV mode working ok. Is there a way to go back to  13.1.01.28 when a new firmware has 13.1.01.35 camera version with this great HBV function disabled?

July 2023 firmware update increased bit of boot loader to 3, making it impossible to flash back earlier firmware which had 13.1.01.28 camera version installed.

See the issue here:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oCFG6qEGiYs

Could somebody from Samsung affiliated with this topic write explanation please?

13 REPLIES 13
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Have you installed the expert raw camera app & looked if it's now accessible?
If you do, hopefully they'll bring it back with an update.
0 Likes
Maveno
Journeyman
Options

I have Exper RAW. It is not solving the problem located in Samsung Camera app.
Camera Assistent does not help as well.

0 Likes
Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
OK, hopefully they'll see their mistake & correct, hopefully.
0 Likes
Babishko
Big Cheese
Options
Fair comment this @Maveno, and it was something that I had not noticed as I am a self confessed 4K 60 junkie. Here is hoping that Samsung can return the High Bitrate option to it's 8K 30 video as soon as possible. I do wonder why they dropped this ability as they don't normally do such things without reason?.🤔
0 Likes
Vetri
Voyager
Options
I never knew this was possible thanks for sharing the information
uufjuff
First Poster
Options
The other one was a little mouse with my

2nd one 5 the one hsghjjf,b,hyh

Hhjhrf
0 Likes
Adrian_Kilgour
Pioneer
Options
The 8K looks horrid, stick with 4K 60
0 Likes
Trialb
First Poster
Options

I switched back to Samsung from being an iPhone user for 6 years , because of this phone. If they are going to remove features via update, I am done and going back to Apple.

Maveno
Journeyman
Options

Hi. The 8k looks phenomenal, like animated DSLR  photos with rich colors. Even at 80 Mbit/s it is still much much higher quality recording than 4k. If you downscale to 4k from 8k you will see a big difference, even despite you enable high bitrate video for 4k. 8k is like filming with 1x zoom and 2x zoom cameras in one video. Go for 8k.

0 Likes