Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the S23 a better phone?

(Topic created on: 29-06-2023 04:20 PM)
justcoder
Journeyman
Options

I have recently upgraded from the S21 to S23 and I am just so confused is the S23 meant to be a better phone?  To me it is inferior to the S21 in pretty much every aspect:

• It is way more heavy
  • its screen is smaller
  • it is fatter
  • It has a bezel, no bezel previously and nice curved edge/screen 
  • It is too smooth, where as before it had a material on the back that kept the phone in place in your hand.  But now it is too shinny for that and I have had to get a case, did not need this before.
  • Does not come with a screen protector

Honestly I could just go on and on, where is the benefit to this new device?

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
sarasphotobox
Hotshot
Options
You could of tried the plus or regular. I have s23 128gb regular from a s21 plus
0 Likes
justcoder
Journeyman
Options

I am not sure what you are saying, I went from the regular S21 to the regular S23.  Really I am just looking for someone to explain what is better about the S23?  Or is it the case that it is purposely not as good as the S21 to make some sort of 21st century justification i.e. it is more environmentally friendly, etc....

0 Likes
sarasphotobox
Hotshot
Options
Oh so sorry my applogies . The only difference is new generation chip 8gen 2.

There is a more battery efficient feature under settings search profile and u will see profile performance light or standard it ensures the device doesn't overheat endurance when ij use.

Also standby mode has increased alot.

When I had s21 plus standby battery was bad.

Where as s21 regular myc128gb phone standby is good.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@justcoder  Whilst the base S23 is not the best of the range should be an improvement on the S21 with a faster processor  and with a glass back it has a more premium feel even if you think it is too shiny.  Actually I would say a case is always advisable anyway(certainly when outdoors)  for your own protection. The screen is  slightly reduced but should not notice too much difference and whilst the display is much the same an upgrade in peak  screen Brightness,the S21 could only reach 1300 nits whereas  the maximum on the S23 is 1750 nits.  the design is a bit different which may not suit everyone and  admittedly the Battery is a bit smaller but it  is more efficient. the camera is also improved though may not notice a significant difference on the base model.

i am not sure why you think the device is a lot heavier, the weight is 168 grams compared to 171 on the S21. 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
LMay
Navigator
Options
.....full of bugs
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
That's why you do your research before just jumping for new phones.

Main benefits

1. Extra two years of OS updates
2. Should be faster and more battery efficient
3. Bit better cameras
4. Bragging rights 😎 as new model.

I personally prefer the ultras.
justcoder
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for this detail, I am shocked about the weight as I held both of them in my hands at the same time and the S23 felt super heavy compared to the s21
0 Likes
justcoder
Journeyman
Options
I get that it has these features I.e. latest hardware on the inside. My point is that the old phones physical features were better to me.

When I went from the s9 to s21 you could see it was a step forward. But on this occasion to me it feels like a step backwards and hard to see when holding it that it is step forward
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I am with you.

I still haven't upgraded my s21 ultra as I couldn't justify the price for both the s22 ultra and the s23 ultra ( I feel tempted by the s23 ultra but resisting for now)

Nowadays there is no point upgrading every year (which I used to do) unless there is some incentive for a person or a certain need.

I buy my phone's for the cameras and always buy Pixel and/or Samsung ultra phones sometimes both as I can't make up my mind.

Now since you have the phone maybe just stick with it and it will grow on you.