Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S23 Ultra Photo processing issues

(Topic created on: 02-03-2023 07:39 AM)
roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

Hello,

I have noticed the following strange behaviour on my S23U when using both Camera and Expert Raw.
When using the default Camera app:
 - When shooting 12mpx, no problems.

- When shooting in 50mpx the photo is processed and the color saturation and vibrance is blown! Too much of it. Outdoors it may look nice, but indoors it completely destroys the picture, expecially when a person is the subject

When using Expert Raw:

- when shooting in 12mpx, the photo is processed but in a decent way, a bit of saturation but not to the extent of messing the result

- when shooting in 50mpx, almost the same result like when using the default Camera.

Anyone else seeing this?

11 REPLIES 11
Tina2009
Navigator
Options
Yes, mine is the same. I don't like the processing on the 50MP camera. A bit of a waste having this as you can't really use it
MrJCharming
Helping Hand
Options
I noticed this yesterday, I'm shocked there isn't an option to turn this off
0 Likes
Tina2009
Navigator
Options
Indeed
0 Likes
ItsClarkey
First Poster
Options
Same here hopefully they sort this out in the next update
0 Likes
AJarosz
Pioneer
Options

Still the thing. Why oh why processing is so inconsistent between the photo resolutions and apps. It is completely misleading. When you change resolution, you think that it will affect only the, well, resolution. Not tonal mapping, not processing etc. I get that image can be softer on higher resolution, but basic tonal mapping or saturation should be same. 

GDiaz1987
First Poster
Options

This is just crazy! I convinced my wife to get rid of her iphone 12 pro max for the S23 ultra. Before any update the cameras were fine! After the February update the phone is garbage (200mp and 50mp) camera. I cant take the phones back because im out of the return period! I took photos using the 50 mp and 200mp of my family and the photos are a joke! Saturation is crazy! My family looks like a very bad oil painting.  And for some reason the 200 and 50 mp camera keep on adding halo effect to the photos. Not to mention the blurry images! By the way the April update didnt fix this issues. Is this a hardware or software issue?!

AJarosz
Pioneer
Options

It is for a sure software issue. I have switched to GCAM completely in S23 Ultra, and while sacrificing output resolution, in most cases detail is better (except in very good light, then ExpertRAW DNG 50 Mpix is the best way to go). Example:

jpg_compare_all_12_thumbnail.jpg

Looks similar, but when you compare the  details:

jpg_detail2_no_resize.jpg

jpg_detail3_no_resize.jpg

Fine details are present only on the right one, so LMC(GCAM), despite that being only 12 Mpix. 

0 Likes
Zypherous2601
First Poster
Options

I think Samsung should allow developers to access all the camera abilities freely (API) so that they can fully utilize the sensor (50MP, 200MP, 8K etc).

0 Likes
Abhisek
Student
Options
I am facing similar issues as well and pictures taken in not so sunny conditions seem to be blurry or seem to have focus issues. Very disappointed with the camera and the image processing software.