Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund not received Almost 3 months without a phone

(Topic created on: Friday)
Brit15
First Poster
Options

My S22's battery swelled badly while is was still under warranty. Almost 3 months have gone by and still no refund as promised by Samsung. Over 24 phone calls and dozens of emails.

This process has left me without a phone and without the funds to purchase a new one.

Samsung reference: *****
Samsung service order number: *****

First contact - 27 March 2024 I phoned to explain what happened to my phone. 

On 04 April 2024 the S22 was received at their service centre,

on 05 April 2024 I was told one of their engineers inspected the phone and indeed found a fault in the battery and that they would repair it and get the phone back to me as soon as possible. 

On 24 April 2024 I was then told that due to the phone being bought in South Africa that they could not get part replacements nor could they offer me a replacement device. They said all they can offer me was a depreciated value of 545.99 euros which I accepted. I informed them that I do not have a bank account as yet as I have just recently moved to Ireland and that we would have to use my husbands Revolut account. 

On 30 April 2024 I received the first email to phone and ask for the automated refund line and to put in bank details (account number and sort code). Which I completed the same day. I was told I will have the funds in 7-10 days. 

On 01 May 2024 I then get told that the refund could not be processed as the name of the bank account does not match the name they had on file (OBVIOUSLY because it was my husbands bank details which I told them) So they changed the name they had on file to my husbands.  

On 10 May 2024 I was told "On the 1st of May the refund had failed due to the name not matching on our side and on the bank account details entered. As this has now been amended we have resubmitted the refund and this should shortly come into your account."

I had not received any update so I decide to contact Samsung AGAIN to make sure that everything is all right. 

On 17 May 2024 I was told,  "Regarding your query in regards to your refund, I have looked into this and have been informed that your payment has been paused. This is due to the fact that the bank details that were entered was for a UK banking account, and you are based in Ireland and not the UK. The bank account needs to match your place of residence- if you are based in Ireland then we can only provide the refund to a Irish bank account as they need to match." Which I don't understand as 1.9 million  people in Ireland bank with Revolut, do you tell them as well that they can't receive their refund? This is now just  ridiculous.

Also if I did not phone Samsung and ask what is going on, I could have been waiting weeks to be told this. Which funny enough the customer service representative I spoke to agreed with me on that. 

I had recently opened an account with AIB (Irish Bank) and gave them the updated details on 17 May 2024 in an email.

On 21 May 2024 I email them to ask if the refund has been re-raised with the updated bank details. 

On 22 May 2024 I was told by Mark, "I can confirm that the refund has been re-raised with the updated banking details, and will be processed as quickly as we can, and again, we apologise for the inconvenience that the process has caused."

Then the same day on 22 May 2024 I get another email from Lauren stating I have to phone them and get put through to the automated refund line and submit the new banking details (so the refund actually hasn't been re-raised as previously stated as we are starting the whole refund process over again). I think as this point they are just having a laugh. 

So I do it. AGAIN. I phone on 22 May 2024 get put through to the automated refund line, I put in my banking details again and get told to wait 7-10 days for the funds to be in my account. So I wait. 

On 31 May 2024 I email AGAIN to make sure there are no issues and that everything is okay as I haven't heard or received anything.

On 01 June 2024 I was told by Sam, "We apologise for the time it is taking for you to receive your refund. We understand that you have been awaiting the payment from the end of April. We are trying to resolve this issue for you as soon as possible with our Finance Team. We will let you know shortly as soon as the issue is resolved, and the funds have been released to you. " So I guess there is another issue.

So I waited another week, I hadn't received an update so I sent a very a very long email on  07 June 2024,

"I have been without a phone for quite some time now. I understand that some people could afford to wait such a long time for the refund as they would have a spare phone or could borrow one from a friend or even have some extra money to buy a new one. But I have none of those options. I invested in the S22 phone because it was supposed to be a quality phone that would last and I love Samsung's products, it was also the first time I could afford to buy a high-end phone from Samsung. I have been a loyal customer for many years. And I understand that sometimes things can go wrong and sometimes products are defective. I am not angry at the product; I am angry at the process and customer service. This process has left me without a phone and without the funds to purchase a new oneI also said that I want an update and a date as to when I can expect my money or I will file a formal complaint with the CCPC and share this experience on social media. 

Then amazingly on 08 June 2024 I was told by Sam, "Once again please accept my apologies for the delays and the inconvenience caused. The issue with your refund should now be resolved and if it is not already in your bank account should be by the close of business Wednesday(12 June 2024)." So think finally, at last! I have been with out a phone for months, Finally I get get a phone soon. But no.. I was sorely mistaken. So again I wait. 

So I email on  11 June 2024, "Thank you, I look forward to receiving the funds by the end of tomorrow as stated. "

Did I receive the funds? No.

So on the days my husband is home I phone them, and for 3 days in a row they can't tell me what the issue is or why I haven't received my refund. It is now 14 June 2024, I still have not received anything. And no one at Samsung can tell me why, and no one seems to be doing anything about it.

Also I'm not a Karen, I've never complained about anything ever in my life! This forced me to be a Karen, and that breaks my heart. 

What do I do? In the meantime I am compiling my Case to report to CCPC and share this experience on socials.

#terrible

#s22battery

1 REPLY 1
AntS
Options

Hi @Brit15 , I've edited out your reference numbers as they're classed as uniquely identifiable info that's best not shared on a public forum. (Your posts got auto-redirected into our Spam area, but I've restored the later one to the public area for you.)

It does sound like you haven't had the best experience here -- which is disappointing. Unsure if there's anything the Community team can do at this stage, but if you'd like us to have a look into your case from the Samsung side of things then feel free to send us a Private Message with your contact details and any relevant info (e.g. reference numbers) to our @Sam_UK  account (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1716597) Guide on how to send a Private/Direct Message here if you need it: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm...  

You can also get in touch with us on our socials @SamsungUK - if you haven't done so already.