Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Google assistant fault with voice triggered WhatsApp messages

(Topic created on: 24-02-2023 08:44 AM)
apshep
Explorer
Options
Over the last week or so my galaxy S22+, my wife's S22 and daughters S20+ have all had the same problem where Google assistant is not able to send voice triggered WhatsApp messages saying "I'm not seeing a WhatsApp number for that contact". All 3 devices get the same 'error'. This happens with assistant in Android Auto as well as assistant when using the device only. 
I have cleared the cache on both assistant and WhatsApp, uninstalled and reinstalled both, synced the contacts in WhatsApp etc. 
my phone contacts list clearly shows the WhatsApp number for eack of the relavnt contacts therefore I assume it's an assistant issue. 
Has anyone resolved this?
I have alsi commented on a similar thread related to WhatsApp but nobody has resolved it.

SOLUTION:
THANKS TO 'gavlar 1'
For those that still have a problem; open the Samsung contacts app, click on the menu (left side), then settings (cog at the top right), then About Contacts...then click rapidly on the Contacts header. 9 times...you'll see a message at the bottom of the screen as you do it counting down. 
A page open s called '3rd party accounts visibility' turn on the WhatsApp slider. 
And now it works! Voice triggered WhatsApp in Google assistant. 

My question to Samsung is why do we need to do this? What happened that has caused the problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Gavlar1
Explorer
Options
Saw this on another thread:
OK simple go to about contact in your contact click 9 times up pops a menu activate the WhatsApp slider job done

View solution in context

13 REPLIES 13
keith30
Maestro
Options
It's Google problem with it's app as been noted over the last week or so. Until they issue a fix they isn't much you can do..contact Google to see when it's going to be resolved in the future.
apshep
Explorer
Options
https://www.sammobile.com/news/one-ui-5-1-update-breaks-google-assistant-whatsapp-integration/
This article points the blame squarely back at Samsung. I've tried contacting WhatsApp support and a long time with Google support and they can't see a problem.
As all 3 of my family phones recently updated to OUI5.1 I suspect that is the issue.
thingswillbebetter
First Poster
Options
Happened to me as well, I think it's to do with Samsung update with one UI. Can we get some update on when Samsung is able to fix this pls?
apshep
Explorer
Options
I submitted it to support on 25t but they have yet to respond. Also via Google and WhatsApp. WhatsApp said it wasn't their problem, Google have pointed me through another reporting route which ironically crashes when I try to use it!
0 Likes
Solution
Gavlar1
Explorer
Options
Saw this on another thread:
OK simple go to about contact in your contact click 9 times up pops a menu activate the WhatsApp slider job done
apshep
Explorer
Options
Thank you!! That worked!

For those that still have a problem; open the Samsung contacts app, click on the menu (left side), then settings (cog at the top right), then About Contacts...then click rapidly on the Contacts header. 9 times...you'll see a message at the bottom of the screen as you do it counting down.
A page open s called '3rd party accounts visibility' turn on the WhatsApp slider.
And now it works! Voice triggered WhatsApp in Google assistant.

My question to Samsung is why do we need to do this? What happened that has caused the problem?
SarahD72
First Poster
Options
Cant thank you enough for this solution!
sanoj23
First Poster
Options

any idea what to do if your phone is not a samsung? 
I'm using the gw4 with a pixel phone

0 Likes
HG54
First Poster
Options

Brilliant. Same issue with my old S20, now resolved.