Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Car doesn't recognise S22 ultra phone when using Android Auto

(Topic created on: 27-04-2022 08:45 AM)
J1000
Apprentice
Options

Hi All,

Hoping someone has a fix.  I recently purchased a S22 Ultra.  Now I'm left feeling like I shouldn't have.  

The issue:

I'm connecting my phone by USB cable to my car.  (I've tried this in two different cars - Mercedes 2017 E-class and a Volvo XC60 - both have the manufacturer headsets - so nothing modified there).  Neither car recognises the Ultra S22 (by cable) and so Android Auto does not even start.

I can't connect Andoid Auto by Bluetooth.  I can connect the phone by bluetooth for calls etc... but this is not via Android Auto.  

I've already tried:

1. deleting the app (reset back to factory version - as you can't delete it off the phone)

2. updating the app via google play store

3. clearing cache and deleting storage

4. removing permissions / and allowing them again.

Is anyone experiencing this problem - i.e. the CAR not recognising the phone for Android Auto?

Clearly to me, this is an issue with the phone.... maybe the phone is not sending / using the right protocol to connect with the car (i.e. the signal the S22 ultra sends back to the car via the cable (or something like that)).   

I've read elsewhere that others have solved this by buying a wireless adaptor for their car and bypassing the cable method - but this kind of defeats the purpose of having a flagship phone!!  

I very much doubt this is an android app issue.  The S22 should be backward compatible with apps - if it wasn't then no old apps would work until an update was released and that clearly isn't the case with other apps.  So I can't see how this is an Android Auto fix that's required.... its a fix that Samsung should apply to their devices.

Am I the only one with this particular issue? 

Does anyone have any fixes to this?  Can Samsung recommend anything else?

fyi - my old phone worked perfectly with both cars (cable method)

Go to solution
40 REPLIES 40
Laus s22 ultra
Student
Options
0 Likes
Daz_S22
Explorer
Options

Hi Laus s22

Could you tell me where the settings for the USB that you provided the image,are located? On my S22 under setting there was no USB settings like that image. Or are the settings on the car device.

Anyhelp greatly appreciated 

0 Likes
Daz_S22
Explorer
Options

Android Auto - Galaxy S22 issue solved.

Dear All - thanks to comments and suggestions I've read on this thread, I was able to get my Galaxy S22 to recognise Android Auto on my installed Alpine in-car media centre for all my navigation and Apps (which worked fine with my S10 but disappeared when I recently connected my new S22.

What worked for me was to buy a USB3.0(A) to US3.0(C) adaptor so that I could use my original galaxy charging cable to connect my phone to the car's media system, but I also had to update Android Auto by downloading the   https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-7-7-1219-release/ 

There were several updates of the APK coming out almost daily, and some of the APK weren't suitable for my phone, but eventually when I found a recent one that was suitable it downloaded (and btw you will have to allow the phone to accept external APK files), then BINGO, Android Auto was back as was access to all the other relevant Apps!

I hope this helps others too.

Darren 

luisdev
Student
Options

I was using a "non-genuine" USB A to USB C cable to connect my S10e to my Mazda CX5 Android Auto sound system. That worked fine for the S10e, but my new S22 Ultra would not connect to the car with that cable. I then tried using the genuine Samsung USB A to USB C cable that came with the S10e to connect the S22 to the car and it seems to be working now.

So, the S22 seems to be a lot more "sensitive" when it comes to making wired connections to other devices, like a car's audio system.

So, if you have this problem, try a different and genuine cable. The "cheap" cables don't seem to be any good with the S22.

0 Likes
Chez13
First Poster
Options

I have tried everything even bought a new cable and still it won't connect I  have the s22 and had no problem with the s21.. this needs to be fixed by samsung..its not good enough. I bought a brand new phone to go on a 4 month road trip and my bloody phone won't work

Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
0 Likes
Members_WPFtkh4
Student
Options

This workaround is pure gold.
After 4 months of pain and anguish about buying an expensive Samsung phone that I couldn't connect to my Kia eNiro what's not to like about the minor additional cost of buying a £5.99 adaptor from Amazon?
I am so so grateful for your advice YOU SOLVED MY PROBLEM ...
I would strongly suggest that both the Samsung and the Kia fora should update their FAQs to promote this Android Auto connectivity solution more widely, so that others need not suffer as much as I have ...

In particular Samsung need to make it clear that Android Auto will only work if you use the cable provided with the phone, and that to do this - you need to buy a simple USB adaptor.   Their current advice is misleading.  Its not a problem of cable quality, but of cable incompatibility - no standard USB-A to USB-C cable will work.  You have to use the Samsung cable.

0 Likes
Members_WPFtkh4
Student
Options

I also briefly suffered a "black screen" but it turned out I had not at that stage fully completed the initial configuration of Android Auto.  Part of this needs to be done on the car's screen, and part on the phone.  In my case (to see what I was doing) I simply launched my favourite navigation programme on the phone (Waze) and this in turn triggered the necessary steps that I had still to complete.  Worth another try perhaps?

0 Likes
Vigneshwar_GT
First Poster
Options

This worked for me!!! Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
Speedywaxer
First Poster
Options

Do I then also need a double ended male C cable?  To go from my phone to the adapter. 

0 Likes