Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best or worst ever?

(Topic created on: 07-04-2022 10:57 AM)
Moo76
Apprentice
Options

So, I bought the S22 Ultra with high expectations - whilst it has the potential to meet my expectations, the reality is that this is my most disappointing phone experience to date.

From day one I've had screen flickering or going blank issues; screen locking up issues; and audio play back issues. I've spent hours and hours on the phone and on the messaging portal trying to rectify these with customer services and, until recently, the best advice Samsung could give me (to avoid 10+ days with no phone) was to just buy a new one (once I pointed out I didn't have another £1k+ to buy a new one, they suggested I went for a cheaper A series instead).

I copied the Samsung President into my emails and I finally got an OK-ish resolution - as soon as there is stock available I'll be sent a new phone to exchange for my faulty one there and then. 

A bit of faith in the brand returned.

Yesterday, however, has highlighted another huge let down of my expectations. Before I pressed the preorder button I'd read all these reviews that said the Gorilla victa+ glass was practically indestructible and scratch resitant, therefore you wouldn't need a screen protector or anything! Sounds amazing. Remember when they said CD's  were indestructible? Yep, that.

The first time I took the dogs down to the beach for a walk, I removed the phone from my pocket, flipped open the case, dusted off the few grains of sand that had snuck in... and there was a pretty deep scratch. Disappointing,  but not deal breaking; I'll use a screen protector on under my case from now on.

Yesterday, tho, I lifted a coffee machine out of my car with the help of a friend. It was heavy, but I don't recall taking any weight on my leg, or anywhere to be fair, that was excessive but this is the only moment when this could have had any potential to happen. A short while later I pulled my phone from my pocket, flipped open my cover,  and the right side of the screen is like a spider's web of cracks.

I've only ever broken 2 screens in over 22 years of phone ownership - my Note 9, when I dropped it from a height, and this one when I... had it tucked away in my pocket???

I am absolutely gutted with the experience so far with this phone. It has soooo much potential to be the best but it just seems to be a letdown at every angle.

Sorry guys, another rant over 😞

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Some people have found particular themes or third party wallpapers have affected the phone screen with flickering etc.
Phone cases that have magnets can affect screens as well.
One possible thing if you use something like that.
I've not seen anything Samsung have posted about the screen being practically indestructible.
Glass is glass in whatever form and will always scratch or break.
So a screen protector is always I think recommended.
If the screen was Sapphire, then you'd need a diamond to scratch it. But they still break. But Sapphire being very expensive, next best option is to improve glass technology.
So while Victus Glass is more scratch resistant, it's still easily damaged.
Moo76
Apprentice
Options

Yeah, I know glass is glass and that, inherently, glass will scratch and break - it was just reviews like this: "To begin with, the Galaxy S22 is the first in the S series to use an Armor Aluminum frame. Likewise, it features Corning Gorilla Glass Victus+ front and back panels, and in Samsung’s view, this is enough for a resilient phone such as the Galaxy S22 to forego a traditional screen protector film." that got my hopes up. As I said, tho, no drama - lesson learnt.

The part that I'm finding  disappointing is the fact that this is supposed to be the toughest screen yet. I've dropped other phones from heights and given them all manner of accidental abuse and still not had an issue; this one was in my pocket, wrapped up in a £37 smart view cover, and it cracked without any noticeable impact at all. Paired with the other problems I've had, it's totally unacceptable for a flagship phone that promised the world.

Re the flickering, blanking, and locking up of the screen, I've tried everything that i could find via both the community and advice from Samsung themselves. 

0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
My Note 20 Ultra screen cracked for no reason. Pulled it out of my pocket and it was broken. No impact damage.
Personally I think that the glass is either too brittle or too thin.
I did complain to Corning but got nowhere.
Samsung third party repair agents insisted it was impact damage, even though it wasn't.
So like you, lesson learnt and screen protector with case from then on
0 Likes
Krisalex79
Helping Hand
Options

S22 Ultra is intended to be the best, but it launched as disaster. The phone needs time to mature and become the best. Samsung works really hard to fix it and turn from disaster to a premium flashship. I am technical person in education, and i inderstand the complexities involved on mixing 2 branches into one, and optimize things for a new processor. now it is the good time for a proper issue reports, reporting problems, and issues also software configuration, current update, hardware base, failing app, and what is the failure all about. It is true that we must report issues, it is true that we must demand solutions of the issues, it is true that samsung has the obligation to give us fixes and solutions, we are paying customers, and if samsung fails we can choose someone else, the same way we have chosen Samsung. The time for rants, vent out and unreasonable demands posted as ultimatums has passed.

The FACT that i PRETEND to believe you, DOES NOT mean i actually believe you.