Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEER CLEAR OF THE S21 ULTRA - HONEST REVIEW / RMA ISSUES

(Topic created on: 11-06-2022 03:28 AM)
bluefog03
First Poster
Options

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra in February 2021 through Samsung Finance. 

One day out of the blue my phone screen just went black, and after contacting Samsung Technical Support and troubleshooting the issue, Samsung admitted to me that this was a common issue with the S21 Ultra and that I would have to go through an RMA process.  I was informed, after I verified my serial number that I was in warranty and so I shipped my Samsung out for a screen replacement. 

Today I was called by Samsung informing me that my device was actually our of warranty and I was charged $205 dollars for the repair.  I still have 6 months of payments left on my phone. 

Being that not only was I misinformed about the warranty from Samsung (OF WHICH I HAVE EMAIL PROOF), I feel I was mislead into sending my device. 

If you want to roll the dice with a device that clearly (commonly) can't last even 2 years of use without defecting, be my guest.  But I would STEER CLEAR of the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra at all costs.

7 REPLIES 7
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

In the Uk Samsung apply a limited 2 year manufacturers warranty on their phone's.

I'd expect the same cover in your region @bluefog03 

To confirm > Check the T&C's and Small Print for the warranty in your region.

It'll be on the Samsung Support Page for your region. 

Please let us know what it says 👍

The only time Samsung should present a charge for repair other than out of warranty is if the phone is damaged in some way, and has to be repaired to bring it back to warranty level criteria to then carry out the screen replacement your needing.

If the phone was in pristine condition then contact Samsung in your region to provide proof of purchase to show it's in warranty.

I wish you all the best.  :smiling-face: 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Skybiz
Pathfinder
Options
I had mine replaced in UK for exactly the same problem. I have no complaints as the service was excellent.
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I got my S21 Ultra in March 2021 and had only owned it for 3 weeks when the screen died dramatically and suddenly. I am with EE and my phone is insured with them and they were brilliant I must say. The phone was fixed and returned to me some 9 days later with a new display and screen and battery (and repair report) free of charge. The phone has performed brilliantly ever since and I have never owned a better phone. I could not be happier. I do not know how common this display/screen failure is on the S21 Ultra @bluefog03 but it seems you have been unlucky in that you have been short changed in this whole business and can't understand why you were told your phone was under warranty one minute and then told you had to pay $205 the next?. I would seek legal advice on this myself and fight for a reimbursal of costs after querying things on the Samsung Support page first. It is a shame that your screen did not fail as quickly as mine did as this would have been so much better for you. Good luck to you. 👍
0 Likes
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options
Not sure why you have such praise for the service you received tbh? You buy a brand new phone only to have it last 3 weeks before it dies on you?!? Then your insurance company has to repair it? Samsung or EE should have flat out replaced it for you with a brand new device. I wouldn't have been happy with the service you received!

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Indeed I was offered a new phone but I had my reasons for going for the repair. Reasons that I now realize were misguided and a new device would have been the better option. As I said the repair was perfect and my new display and screen were much better than the original one. It was noticeably cleaner and vibrant. I was indeed delighted with my repair both in the short term and long term and if you cannot accept that then that is entirely up to you. Maybe if EE had sprinkled my phone with fairy dust before returning it to me that would have met with your approval?.
0 Likes
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options
Ignoring your final sarky remarks... Why would you settle for a repair over a replacement? A repaired phone is always factory reset and updated to the latest firmware so data retention wouldn't be a reason surely? I'm not anti repair but three weeks after purchase seems unreasonable to me! But hey ho, your phone, your experience, and if that was a satisfactory outcome for you then fair enough. I'd want that that fairy dust and a new phone lol

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
0 Likes
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Paul the reason was that my original phone was a gift to me from someone special who passed away not long after giving it to me. I am sorry for being defensive in my previous remark I really am but you have to accept that people can have genuine reasons for doing what they do in life. Reasons that they do not like to be pushed on. I wish you all the best Paul. 👍