Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split screen functionality please come back!

(Topic created on: 23-07-2021 06:34 AM)
Testing123
Journeyman
Options
On my S8 when using split screen if I press the home button it allows me to go to the home screen without closing the top app, this was so useful for changing apps! I just upgraded to an s21 Ultra for a bigger screen for the split screen but now when I press home it closes both apps? Please bring back that functionality Samsung! I will probably return the s21 Ultra and stick with my S8 if this isn't just some option I've missed. Does anyone know of a way to get this functionality back?

Looks like it's not just me that's missing it! https://redd.it/kftxwu

What's the best way to get Samsung to see this?

Here's an album of how it was on the S8 with much better functionality https://imgur.com/a/l33iVm4
12 REPLIES 12
thedarkestsub
First Poster
Options
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Testing123: When you have 2 apps open in Split Screen view, your Recent Apps button should change into a Split Screen button. If this is the case, tap the Split Screen button and this will return you to the Recent Apps screen to select a second app, while leaving the top app open. I hope this helps. 

Testing123
Journeyman
Options
This video doesn't address anything I mentioned?
0 Likes
Testing123
Journeyman
Options
Hey Andrew, thanks for the reply but unfortunately this doesn't work for me. When I press the recents button it opens to the recents menu with both apps "bundled" into 1 app, selecting another app opens that app in single screen.

Here's an album of how it was on the S8 with much better functionality https://imgur.com/a/l33iVm4
0 Likes
IslandSwan007
Apprentice
Options

It's been 4+ months since your original post and I see no helpful response. I am re-addressing your post (reposting it) to keep this concern going. It is one of the very first issues I encountered with my S21 Ultra. I got it earlier this month. I too have upgraded from an S8.  With my previous phone, I absolutely love the split screen feature. Once I have the main app (e.g. Youtube) to the top, I can do almost everything (except Instagram) with my phone, use the home button, Recent App Button and that main app remains running. 

Please Samsung, address this for the S21 Ultra. I love my phone but this lack of flexibility of the split screen is a buzz kill. 

Can we keep this topic going? Can we get an upgrade to bring back this capability? It's amazing how something you took for granted and now it's gone can pose as a hindrance.

Testing123
Journeyman
Options
I find it absolutely mental that so few people care about this. Thanks for the agreement/support!
0 Likes
Testing123
Journeyman
Options
Does your phone do as AndrewL says about the recent apps becoming a split screen button? Unfortunately I use gesture based navigation so it's not a solution for me but even when I went back to test the buttons it doesn't change for me. Obviously just using the old functionality back would be ideal, just trying to figure out the next best option for the moment.
0 Likes
IslandSwan007
Apprentice
Options

Hii Testing123, I'm just coming back here to see if there has been an update. To answer your question, the response given by AndrewL does not help.

I just need my first top app to remain open despite me using my home key, multifunction key etc. What I've resort to doing is using more of the 'pop-up view' feature but even that is at best, a weak temporary alternative. The app that is in 'pop-up view' still closes into a shortcut widget on my screen. 

A new year is here Test123, and I just woke up to another Android update on my phone waiting to be downloaded. Is it safe to say that we must wait for more updates before this issue is addressed? 

I agree with you that it is crazy how few people are not seeing this as a setback. 

It's amazing how something you took for granted, now it's gone and it becomes such a hindrance. 

Whatever glitch the makers stumbled on that allowed that top locked app to be successful on the split screen view.....bring it back! Please :smiling-face:

Testing123
Journeyman
Options
Kinda looks like it won't be coming back to be honest - seems like they prefer the awful "app pairs"
0 Likes