Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Brightness keeps staying very dim even in bright sunshine

(Topic created on: 17-08-2021 09:31 AM)
FK1983
Pathfinder
Options
The brightness of the screen on my S21 Ultra can be amazing and really bright in sunshine but it totally randomly goes very dim even in bright sunlight.

I've tried auto and manual brightness but no luck as right now I'm typing this in bright sunlight and the screen feels like it's less than half brightness 🔆 

About 10 minutes ago the screen was really bright and amazing. 

Does anyone know what is causing this problem or if anyone else has the same issue or a way to fix it or reset the brightness settings? 

Thanks 

Fisky
25 REPLIES 25
Gachot
Apprentice
Options

I have this phone for approximately 2 months. I had S10 for two years, but I cracked the screen and decided to change the phone. So at this point if my screen on s10 isn't cracked I would go back to S10. But again, I am expecting that future updates will solve most of the problems I am experiencing at the moment.

Brightness control is generally good and it's not a problem. Only this dimming that makes the phone useless when I need it the most for my work. 

0 Likes
JayRae120
First Poster
Options

I am having the exact same problem!!! Loved my galaxy 10. Was super excited to upgrade to the 21. 3 months into the 21+ I got the black screen of death. I completely lost everything.  I would say I was fortunate to still be under warrant but they replaced the brand new phone I paid for with a refurbished 21. My phone is completely up to date. I could turn off auto brightness, set my phone at the brightest setting step into the sun and it gets so dark I can't see anything. I have samsung phone, computer, tablet, TV, everything. I hate this phone so much it's going to turn me to apple. 

0 Likes
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

Samsung S20+ Exynos when "Overheat" = Screen dimming = unreadable

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
0 Likes
Camsimed
Explorer
Options

I'm sorry guys but it's a software issue i have with my S20+ since the launch !

Never get help, I'm switching for a iPhone 13 just because of it.

I was checking if S21 Ultra solved this problem, it's seems not. Really annoying, i was in love about Samsung S series. Too bad !

No one will help you because no ones cares.

Mariush
Student
Options

Hi!

I had to get rid of my S20 for exactly the same reason.

Ive been with s21+ since April and didn't experience the issue the entire summer (I did reset the auto brightness data once in May)

The phone screen is perfect and does indeed go dimmer when it gets very hot. However, comparing it with my wife's iPhine 11 Pro, it is always brighter and more legible.

Did you try the auto brightness reset suggested earlier in the thread?

0 Likes
Brut
First Poster
Options
Same here. And it doesn't matter if the phone is warm or cool. I tried everything, nothing helps... I think I'm gonna sell my s21 ultra and buy Redmi
0 Likes
CodeRed
First Poster
Options

Put your phone on ice while you're outside. I just did that to mine and it got brighter. It's temperature related.

0 Likes
Cryptorial
Student
Options

I've had this issue for over a months now... I just found out what's wrong and thought I'd help future people coming here I clicked the plus button in the action buttons on the action center and found an option called "Extra dim" and when I added it it turns out it was on 🤦‍♂️. It anyways hope that helps someone. 

HerDaintyness
First Poster
Options

I just had this issue after a software update. 

I found the answer!

Go to settings and search for 'extra dim'

Turn it off. Voila!

(Somehow it was turned on after the update because I obviously did not do it) 

Hope that helps everybody! 

Gachot
Apprentice
Options

The answer sounds so enthusiastic, but that's not what I was talking about.

That is baby dim level. I'm talking unreadable dim when phone gets hot on the sun and bright sunlight.

I still haven't solve the problem. I just confirmed that it is temperature related, that the phone is peace of s..... regarding hard usage, sun and temperature. It also gets slower. 

The good thing is that the phone is water resistant and putting it in or under cold water solves the problem in a minute.

In the mean time we bought some S21 FE and a new S22. Curious to check this phones in same conditions. Unfortunately on that phones the app quantity and usage is not as near as how much apps I use multitasking on a sun on a roof.