Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 unable to make or receive calls after Android 13 Update

(Topic created on: 19-12-2022 09:40 AM)
armegatron98
Journeyman
Options

I've a frequent issue where my Samsung S21 is unable to receive calls of SMS messages. I suspect it started after the recent update to Android 13 in November, but given it's only when people ring me it's not something I noticed right away until people mentioned it to me.

Samsung S21 on O2 (SIM1) and Giff Gaff (SIM2). SIM2 is never used for calls/data/texts and has data disabled.

The flow is that someone calls me (to SIM1, O2) and to them it rings, but my handset does nothing. After a couple of rings it goes to voicemail. The last part of this has changed in the last week or so, where the call doesn't even hit voicemail and instead gets either "“the number you have called is not recognised. Please check the number. If you need help call the operator on 100 from your mobile” and it doesn’t even now hit voicemail or more recently "it has not been possible to connect your call".

Initially I'd get a missed call SMS from O2 after a few hours of the actual call, usually when leaving the house or after rebooting the phone. This now doesn't make any difference.

Things I've tried:
*Check home network firewall. There are no ports blocked nor SSL inspection or other policies applied that could block WiFi calling
*When calls DON'T work, data is working fine and I can get around 70Mbps download on 4G+ with 3 out of 4 bars of signal. Data also works fine when calling is working. 
*Restarting the phone occasionally fixes this for a short while before reverting to the faulty behaviour
*WiFi calling is disabled, no improvement
*4G calling disabled, no improvement
*Disabled all call forwards, no improvement (I suspect this may be what broke the voicemail though)
*Disabled 5G, no improvement
*Disabled 5G and 4G, no improvement
*Cleaned SIM contacts with isopropyl alcohol, no improvement
*SIM1 (O2) in different phone (Samsung S5) - calls always come through fine to the Samsung S5
*Kept SIM2 (GiffGaff) in the same slot - calls always come through fine to GiffGaff regardless 
*Moved SIM2 (GiffGaff) to SIM1 slot - out of numerous tests calling the GiffGaff number only one call didn't go through but did hit voicemail. The fail rate for the O2 SIM was far far higher where I could more often than not recreate the issue, so I'm confident the GiffGaff SIM is unaffected as is SIM1 slot. 
*Swapped SIMs, O2 to SIM2 and GiffGaff to SIM1. Immediately could recreate the issue calling the O2 SIM. The GiffGaff SIM continues to work fine. Rules out contacts on the SIM slot
*Disabled data for the O2 SIM - no improvement
*Reset network settings. This changed the default for data to the GiffGaff SIM which I left as-is. The call went through for the 1st test. I then changed data to use the O2 SIM. Subsequent tests then failed in exactly the usual way ("it has not been possible to connect your call"). Putting data back to GiffGaff allowed one call to come through to O2 fine but every call after this failed. Every time the setting was toggled it allowed one call through with every following call failing until the setting was toggled again.
*Toggling Mobile data to "off" rather than setting a SIM for the data does not allow any calls through. It is only when changing between the SIMs for data that the call comes through for one call only.
*Changing other "Preferred SIM" settings has no effect, it is only when data is toggled between SIMs that one call is permitted.
*Also worth noting that resetting the network settings did not recover voicemail, i.e. calls continue to never hit voicemail.
*When calls are failing inbound, the O2 SIM can call outbound SOMETIMES and it rings the other phone for one ring only then cuts off with a message on screen "number invalid". Most of the time however outbound calls sit at "Calling" with no dial tone etc for as long as it likes - I lost patience at 3 minutes. It will also sometimes immediately transition to "Call ended" without even attempting to connect.

Here's a flow of when I can recreate the fault:
*Worked fine at home. Left the house, came back home, getting “it has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later”.
*Turned off the phone and with it turned off tried calling it. Still getting “it has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later”.
*Turned phone back on, didn’t enter PIN or interact after powering on and got the same issue.
*Entered PIN, screen was unlocked, same issue.
*Screen still on from the unlock, turned off WiFi, call connected just fine.
*Screen still on from the last successful call, WiFi back on, call worked fine again.
*Screen timed out and locked. Called it and went through just fine.
*Turned phone off and called it, expecting to get a voicemail but doesn’t hit voicemail
*Powered phone on, without entering PIN or touching it I called it again (still on WiFi from the earlier test) – call went through just fine.

I got a brand new out the box Samsung S21... Same problem exists.

Thankfully it's a company phone so it's not cost me anything. Our internal IT updated it to Android 13 and shipped it to me. I put my SIM in and it worked just fine. This was just the O2 SIM however. Out of around 10 test calls all were connecting ok.

I then enrolled into Intune and put my 2nd SIM in, and transferred data from the original S21.

When it came to setting up apps I noticed the MFA SMS codes were taking a while or not coming through. When I tried to call the O2 SIM number it's doing exactly the same issue of not connecting. Likewise, outbound calls still don't work. 

Thinking it might be an app with call permissions intercepting the call and messing things up I checked out permissions but everything there is either a default Google or Samsung app. 

Either:

• The act of putting the 2nd SIM in killed it (perhaps... although the issue only ever seems to affect the O2 SIM and not the GiffGaff SIM)
  • The enrollment to Intune killed it (unlikely as we've got probably 50 Samsung S21's enrolled in Intune with the same policies)
  • Some update after setting up the new phone killed it (possible although I didn't see any updates happen after the 1st round of successful tests)
  • Some app on the phone killed it (unlikely as there's no user installed apps with call permissions)
  • Some setting in the phone copied over from the original S21 and broke it (unlikely as I'd already done network setting resets)

TestGiffGaffO2Phone rotationTime
Testing calls - Moved to one SIM per phone    
1N - VM
Could have still been booting
Y - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:17
2N - VM
Could have still been booting
Y - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:18
3Y - RangY - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:19
4Y - RangY - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:20
5Y - RangY - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:21
Testing voicemail (not answering on purpose)    
6Y - Rang and got voicemail! - Rang, no voicemail
"The person you're trying to reach isn't available. Try again later"
O2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:22
Rebooted phones    
11Y - RangY - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:27
12Y - RangY - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:30
13Y - RangY - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:31
14Y - RangY - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:34
15Y - RangY - RangO2 in old
GiffGaff in new
20:35
Rotated SIMs    
16Y - RangY - RangO2 in new
GiffGaff in old
20:40
17Y - RangY - RangO2 in new
GiffGaff in old
20:40
18Y - RangY - RangO2 in new
GiffGaff in old
20:41
19Y - RangY - RangO2 in new
GiffGaff in old
20:43
Rebooted phones    
20Y - RangY - RangO2 in new
GiffGaff in old
20:47
21Y - RangY - RangO2 in new
GiffGaff in old
20:48
Both SIMs one phone (new phone)    
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs new phone20:53
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs new phone20:54
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs new phone20:55
 Y - RangN - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again laterBoth SIMs new phone20:56
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs new phone20:57
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs new phone20:58
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs new phone20:59
 Y - RangN - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again laterBoth SIMs new phone20:59
Both SIMs one phone (old phone)    
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs old phone 
 Y - RangN - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again laterBoth SIMs old phone 
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs old phone21:02
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs old phone21:03
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs old phone21:04
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs old phone21:05
 Y - RangN - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again laterBoth SIMs old phone21:06
Next day testing - no changes    
 Y - RangY - RangBoth SIMs old phone07:30

Testing from different physical location    
 Y - RangN - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again laterBoth SIMs old phone11:18
 Y - RangN - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again laterBoth SIMs old phone11:20
Testing from different physical location - Unlocked screen    
  Y - Rang 11:21
  N - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later 11:22
Testing from different physical location - Screen re-locked    
  N - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later 11:22
  N - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later 11:23
Testing from different physical location - Unlocked screen    
  N - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later 11:23
Testing from different physical location - Turned off WiFi (WiFi calling still disabled and always has been)    
  Y - Rang 11:23
  Y - Rang 11:23
  Y - Rang 11:24
  Y - Rang 11:25
  Y - Rang 11:25
Testing from different physical location - Testing voicemail (Wifi still off)    
  ! - Rang but no voicemail "sorry we couldn't connect you" 11:27
Testing from different physical location - Wifi back on, WiFi calling still disabled    
  Y - Rang 11:28
  N - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later 11:29
  N - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later 11:30
  N - It has not been possible to connect your call, please try again later 11:30
  Y - Rang 11:50
  Y - Rang 11:51
  Y - Rang 11:52
  Y - Rang 11:52
Testing from different physical location - Turned off WiFi (WiFi calling still disabled and always has been)    
  Y - Rang 11:53
  Y - Rang 11:54
  Y - Rang 11:55
Testing from different physical location - Wifi back on, WiFi calling still disabled    
  Y - Rang 11:56
 Y - Rang  11:56
  Tested outbound calls. All worked but one test to another mobile had a very strange ring tone, one pulsed beep every 3 or 4 seconds 12:00
19 REPLIES 19
Harvey10
First Poster
Options
Following with interest as have similar issue.
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
TLDR
0 Likes
armegatron98
Journeyman
Options

Yet folk whinge when too little troubleshooting has been done or the user hasn't provided enough detail on the issue...

-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You do know this isn't Samsung Support but the Samsung Community site?
0 Likes
armegatron98
Journeyman
Options

Yes. What's your point? Almost every other post I see here is a Samsung user having some issue and looking for assistance - are they somehow in the wrong for seeking that on a Samsung Community forum? Is the purpose of the Samsung community to only be fanboys of the vendor? Are you actually going to contribute anything helpful or just complain when a post bores you rather than scrolling past? 

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Good luck
0 Likes
zimma71
Voyager
Options
I don't know if you sorted this is your out but I can tell you how this issue arises during your update if you had two SIMs activated if your phone loses data on One SIM card and it flips over to the other SIM card it's sort of upsets the update my friend just had this same problem what Samsung probably have done is installed a single SIM card software into a dual Sim phone how great and wonderful
0 Likes
Zuhltan
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with my S21 with Android 13. In the 1st sim slot I have a Yettel HU sim for calls and data. In the 2nd slot I have a Tmobile HU sim for calls but I use it rarely.

When I receive a call on sim1 the phone is ringing and I can answer but I cannot hear anything from the caller. When I call back the caller the call goes out but the phone is doing nothing no call sound and stops after usually 20 seconds. I have to restart the phone and it works normally for a short time and it breaks again after a whole.

I installed the december update (Android 13) but the this issue is still present.

I have to disable the 2nd sim in the sim manager and it seems to be a temporary solution. So I have a dual sim capable phone what I cannot use now with two sims from different carriers. This was not the case until the Android 13 update, phone was working fine.

armegatron98
Journeyman
Options

Just an update to my issues. 

With the brand new 2nd handset the same issues were present when using dual SIM. Having one SIM per phone however worked fine. I was on holiday last week so this meant carrying around 2x Samsung S21's with one SIM each, rather than using the phone(s) as intended with dual SIM. 

It seems therefore that Samsung have released an update that has caused the S21 when used with 2x SIMs to have unpredictable behaviour and given my companies policy where phones must run the latest software there's no way for me to use this phone as intended. If the phone receives a new update then I'll test again but for now I'm having to carry two phones because the Samsung S21 is no longer dual SIM capable - very annoying!