Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S21 Ultra USB C Headphones not working

(Topic created on: 31-05-2021 03:45 PM)
Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options

Got a new S21 Ultra a few days ago, and I am noticing some odd behaviour with my USB C headset.

The headphones seem to work fine with calls.

With media/apps - Often with the headphone plugged in, the audio comes out the phone's main speaker. Disconnecting the usb c and reconnecting it usually forces the audio to switch to the headset.

However, if I pause video/audio for more than a few seconds or switch apps the audio jumps back to the main speaker.

I do get an android notification saying "USB device not recognised" when it stops working.

38 REPLIES 38
Batdude
Student
Options
I have this exact same problem. I've tried a couple of different usb-c to headphone adapters and different headphones but none work on my s21 ultra. They work fine on other Android handsets with usb-c.
Kelsaor
Journeyman
Options

I ended up switching to Galaxy Live Buds, which work without issue. Haven't heard anyone who has been using USB-c without issue.

0 Likes
PeterGreenford
Pioneer
Options
I got an email from Samsung on this very topic, I have £500 headset, and a pair of Sonys £350, and an £200 grado headphones, none work properly, Samsung said this is because the S21 headphones socket only work with upto date models, the software isn't recognising older headphones? I pointed out my £350 sonys are the latest models, Samsung could not even tell me what models actually work other than Bluetooth, which translated means no wired headphones are compatible or any plug in headphone DAC like my oppo HS-2....with one small swoop I've spent £1200 on the latest Samsung phone to only find out my £1500 collection of headphones are useless, and not because of them manufacturers but Samsung, software update would easily sort this out,but the choose not to,this is a software issue not the phone or accessories
PeterGreenford
Pioneer
Options
Nope I got message from Samsung that says basically no wired headphones support for media, calls yes but not media, I have the S21ultra and doesn't work, wife has S21plus and it doesn't work,....based on we have the latest phones and an email that says and shows no wired headphones support
0 Likes
PeterGreenford
Pioneer
Options
I think this is going like apple products but Samsung follow apple, no charger, then you find accessories don't work unless there approved by Samsung
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Funny I have the S21 Ultra and my wired headphones works 100% for calls and media. If Samsung support told you there's no support, they're even worse than I thought they were. Works with both my headphones from my Note 10+ 5G, S20 Ultra and ones from my P30 Pro (or Mate 20 Pro, not sure which it's from).
Members_BZdY07m
First Poster
Options

i am considering to report the issue to the local consumer support centre CAB and see what they may help with. They should not restrict their devices to their own products only.It might be perhaps done something intentionally in order to boost their income. I would not say that this is not solvable problem. Definitely not for such a big company as Samsung. Most probably this is a software issue rather than a hardware compatibility. Headphones are commonly manufactured to be compatible with any major brands...

PeterGreenford
Pioneer
Options
Have you seen the amount of people that are having bad reactions to the buds? Burning,blistering, swelling, and that's after less than 1hrs use
0 Likes
PeterGreenford
Pioneer
Options
I think you have a very valid point, 98% of all headphone are designed with low power requirements IE ohm's, I cannot see why a pair of headphones that work with S10 and Samsung Note no longer are compatible with the S21, what I'm finding is any headphones that was supplied in previous models like AKG will work with S21, so I'm saying Samsung is restricting compatibility to say there approved brands only,meaning you buy them from the Samsung shop or hopefully there hoping you'll just splash even more cash on the Bluetooth system
0 Likes
Batdude
Student
Options
I bought a usb-c to Jack with built in dac from Amazon. It was about £10 and this one works with all of my headphones.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RRWTN5H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_NKV2S80A8EM5SKMQHFZB?_encoding=UT...
0 Likes