Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Notifications only appear when unlocked. Deep Sleep cuts WIFI and data

(Topic created on: 29-12-2021 06:59 AM)
Seabottom
Apprentice
Options

I have done a fair bit of research by now, and it seems googles Android is partly to blame for removing a wifi system setting, and also partners, like Samsung, who aren't reimplementing it. 

What happens, is that I never get any notifications from anything until I unlock my phone or turn on my screen. I think there's a refresh every 30 minutes or so as I seem to get some notifications on the hour exactly. As you can imagine, this is INFURIATING and completely useless as I can't respond to messages as they come in.

This is considered deep sleep, or what it really is, hibernation. I do not see any settings to disable deep sleep entirely or to have wifi and data on during deep sleep. Power saving and Adaptive battery is off. Put unused apps to sleep is off, no apps in either of the three categories either. Wifi power saving mode is off. Always on Display is always on.

All settings and solutions mentioned elsewhere are either removed from oneUI or requires a rom flash to access which is out of the question.

I already charge my phone every day when I go to sleep anyway, I don't care about battery consumption. My S9 gave me notifications on the fly and the battery lasted just fine, maybe 16 hours, at least a days worth of activity anyway.

My A30s that I just upgraded from had the same issue and I legitimately thought that it was a slow piece of bull, until I got my S21 and it had the same notification issues. This is absolutely terrible! Please issue a patch for this. Please.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Seabottom
Apprentice
Options

VST007 changed the link that helped me solve this issue (for now until further confirmation). Here is the link with the quick solution that isn't mentioned in the link of his.

Interesting, so Android system had all notifications allowed mostly, but digging deeper, the vibration and "show pop-up" was turned off. However, sound was on, and I never heard sound anyway.

But, it seems, sending some emails to myself to test as I know for a fact that didn't work before, it seems to work now! I wonder if those settings got changed when I did my Samsung Smart Change Phone app thingy and it copied system settings like that as well. Makes sense, but that means I must have messed with it a long long LONG time ago.

I feel like these things shouldn't be hidden away like that. Or even have 4 different ways of triggering the same actions (notifications on lock screen). I love Samsung but their user friendliness could be a lot better, not just with phones.

View solution in context

7 REPLIES 7
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Trying playing around the notifications settings.
Could be you turn ON do not disturb or muted the notifications or something.

I don't have this issue.

Sleep and Deep sleep are only for apps which you don't use say in an everyday scenario so shouldn't really affect your social media apps, messaging or emails.
0 Likes
Seabottom
Apprentice
Options

I have a scheduled Do not Disturb when I go to bed, but outside of those times it still doesn't work.

I have attached a video to the first post showing my settings on the S21.

VST007
Pathfinder
Options

Can you try to check this ? Let me know if any positive effect.

0 Likes
Solution
Seabottom
Apprentice
Options

VST007 changed the link that helped me solve this issue (for now until further confirmation). Here is the link with the quick solution that isn't mentioned in the link of his.

Interesting, so Android system had all notifications allowed mostly, but digging deeper, the vibration and "show pop-up" was turned off. However, sound was on, and I never heard sound anyway.

But, it seems, sending some emails to myself to test as I know for a fact that didn't work before, it seems to work now! I wonder if those settings got changed when I did my Samsung Smart Change Phone app thingy and it copied system settings like that as well. Makes sense, but that means I must have messed with it a long long LONG time ago.

I feel like these things shouldn't be hidden away like that. Or even have 4 different ways of triggering the same actions (notifications on lock screen). I love Samsung but their user friendliness could be a lot better, not just with phones.

VST007
Pathfinder
Options

Glad to know that worked!

Initially I also thought that the first link is better but then I found the other one more usefull. In reality they both are. 

wilderbeast
Student
Options
Where is the link please ?
mallarkey
First Poster
Options
Samsung are pure trash unfortunately. I have never been able to resolve this issue, I just live with it now. Will be moving to a better phone soon. Its 1990s technology to be notified when you get a text, clearly samsung are 30 years behind