Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No notifications when screen is off

(Topic created on: 25-11-2022 08:15 PM)
Yackim
First Poster
Options

Hello everybody, 

I have a feeling that this issue has been posted the 100th time and I think I've read them all but could not find any solution that works.

I just received my Samsung Galaxy S21 and I'm struggling with the notifications.

What I want is that when I receive a notification it wakes up my lock screen or AOD briefly. When I'm working with my smartphone on my desk I know I got a notification that's all.

I enabled the brief popup but it only works and wake up the phone if it's a text message through the Samsung Messenger. All other services such as WhatsApp, Twitter, Teams, Outlook are all not waking up the screen.

I do get a vibration when something arrives but the screen stays black. If I tap to show the AOD or lock screen the notification is right there.

I layed my phone next to the one of my colleague because he has the exact same model and all our settings about notifications and AOD are the same.. 

To be honest, it is really killing me inside. Can somebody help me out please or confirm that this is a general issue?

Thank you for any response. 

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26
HeartstringAndy
Student
Options

I have the same issues and it only randomly happened starting today without me changing any settings! The edge lighting and notification pop-ups no longer work. Prolly a Samsung update.

One other thing to check, SETTINGS --> NOTIFICATIONS --> BRIEF POP-UP SETTINGS, make sure "Show even while screen is off" is selected on. Mine is, still doesn't work. But that's another location. Each app also has it's own notification setting over-rides so check those...

0 Likes
S22userLondon
Journeyman
Options

I am still not getting notifications on S22 ultra locked screen and there is no solution, Very disappointing 

0 Likes
UPdatesSTOP
Student
Options

I don't get notifications whether it's text, email, or calendar, missed calls VM, WHEN MY SCREEN IS OFF ON THY BLACK SCREEN!! WTH SAMSUNG? IF I USE DISPLAY ALWAYS IT RUNS YOUR BATTERY LIFE DOWN QUICKLY. DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. FIX THE ISSUE OR DO YOU EVEN CARE????

0 Likes
Aghiad Black
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem man. Its very disappointing by Samsung because its a silly software issue that could be solved in seconds.

I am never buying a Samsung device again that's for sure.

Members_vnGDbEu
Student
Options

Does anyone have a solution for this ? It is very very irritating.

The below screens are under "Settings > Notifications > Notification popup style".

I am only able to get the screen to lit up on notification, IF the notification popup style is set to "brief" (so no text details in the notification), but if I switch to "Detailed", the option "Show even if screen is OFF" dissapears

Is this how it looks on other people's phone too ? Or is there a bug in the interface there ?

When I set to "detailed", it just beeps but the screen would NOT turn on. 

When I set to "brief", it properly turns screen on and shows notifiation but just app name without usefull details.

vs Screenshot_20230613_191839_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20230613_191856_Settings.jpg

HeartstringAndy
Student
Options

It appears it will randomly work and decide not to work. It's definately a lack of software development/care. Sadly the devices are up to S23 so they won't be working on it. They're worried about the next device and pushing out more product and more money. I got a Pixel and while I prefer the hardware of a Samsung... so few glitches and solved fast!

The S1 and S2 were amazing. Samsung has fallen far. 😞

Members_vnGDbEu
Student
Options

Mine is indeed the latest S23 ultra, I just paid around 1000 EUR for this ?! I will not accept this nonsense, I can still return it

Horrible practices from Samsung's end, I undestand that not even their developers use their products in real life, because otherwise they would have fixed this.

0 Likes
Brad_SS123
Student
Options

I landed on this page because I was searching why my S23U stopped playing notification sounds on lock screen. Turns out my Galaxy watch had a setting get changed. For those experiencing same issue, take a look at your watch settings using the Galaxy Wearables app on the phone. Go to Watch Settings/Notifications. Make sure "Mute Notifications on phone is unchecked".

SAMPHONE5
First Poster
Options

I think this is based on the Software update. I am using A52, this problem always make me thinking that, next time I will not buy Samsung Galaxy again, because it will BLOCK the notification when the screen is off. Sometimes the software update is fine. Sometimes it is not fine. When the update is not fine, after updated the Samsung software update, I cannot receive any notification when the screen is off. I can only receive notification when the screen is on. When the screen is on, there are more than 10 notifications come out at the same time. I know this is because, during screen off, the Wi-Fi connection was cut at the same time, too. In order to save the battery. But the phone has not enabled the battery saving mode. I think this is also because, the "Wi-Fi always on" option was removed before I buy the phone. I hope Samsung can force the notifications coming out and do not shut down the Wi-Fi during the screen is off at the next version software update. Because I need to hear the notification when I (human) am sleeping, and wake up by the notification and read the notification. I do not prefer the notification is off when I (human) am sleeping.

0 Likes
Jimbo84
Journeyman
Options

You are right. The same for me. Even today, almost a year after your post the issue is still present. Again, somehow, a genius at samsung just removed the option thinking this is a nice feature. Personally i want my notification set as detailed when screen is on, not brief, in order to read them and the option as pop up when screen is off, but now you can't. But before this option was there for you to choose. Due to this, i keep missing a lot of notification throughout the day. Im just done with samsung. They just don't care and listen. Update after update they just keep removing options. That's such a mess