Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep losing hotspot on s21 ultra.

(Topic created on: 09-12-2021 11:16 AM)
Cab43
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Since last update my hotspot won't stay connected.

I use it to connect another old s8 that I use as a satnav.

I've tried turning off the timeout feature in settings but it still does it.

Sometimes when I try and turn it back on again it says no simcard registered along with no signal bars etc, but this is only temporary and reconnects quite quickly, I'm guessing that the phone sees no SIM connection and drops the hotspot.

Hope to get it sorted soon or I'm chucking out the window.

Thanks,

Paul.

10 REPLIES 10
Cactusking
Explorer
Options
I've been having the same issue, it started about a month and a half ago for me.
It's not going to fix itself. Trust me.
I've tried factory resetting, getting a new SIM card, contacting my network provider; and the only conclusion I came to was that it was my phone (I've tested my SIM card out with other phones). I have a repair booking with Samsung tomorrow, they said they'll replace the motherboard in my device.
It's so frustrating, as I've also had calls cut in random places and using the internet is just a wish to me at this point.
Really hope Samsung gets their stuff together cause this has not been a good experience for me.
Cab43
Apprentice
Options

Glad I'm not the only one, but I feel your pain.

Just got off the phone to Samsung CS and I'm going to try a hard reset tonight when I get home from work, although I'm not gonna hold my breath.

If that doesn't work they have said it will have to go in for repair, I guess they know what the problem is as they didn't seem worried about booking it in and didn't bother with the whole " have you tried turning it off and on again"

Hope you get yours sorted soon.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Cactusking
Explorer
Options
Thanks for the support.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Yeah, factory resets never worked for me. My guess is there's something wrong with the antennas or the SIM card reader, that's the only conclusion.
Though I've heard of cases where somebody got their motherboard replaced and the problem persisted.
Really hope that doesn't happen to me, but if it does, Samsung won't hear the end of this.
Cab43
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Any luck with yours?

I spoke to Samsung CS again the other night and they wanted to know a postcode where it was happening, i gave them a few in North London and all of them had mast work reported in the area.

So apparently the problem is my network (3)

I've left the hotspot on when at home with strong signal and it stays connected.

It seems to turn off every time it loses signal which is ridiculous, I guess its some sort of power saving, I don't care about saving power, its plugged in, in the car.

Hope they sort this with an update or something.

But I do jave a bit of a workaround if it helps you, I turned off the hotspot and shared my data connection via Bluetooth which doesn't turn off when the signal drops out.

Good luck,

Paul.

0 Likes
Cactusking
Explorer
Options
Hi Paul,

My case is actually going really well. I've been diagnosing my phone for about two weeks before contacting samsung CS again. You need concrete proof that it's the phone and not your network.
I got a sim replacement, I put the sim in a different phone, I put a different provider's sim in my phone. And the whole time my phone was the only one with issues.
I then booked a repair with Samsung KX and brought my phone with me. They thought it was an issue with the motherboard however they didn't have any in stock. So they took my phone and gave me a loaner phone while they repair my S21 Ultra.
I received an email a week ago telling me they couldn't repair my phone and that Alternative Resolution will be in contact with me soon.
They told me they cant repair the phone because of a shortage of parts so they offered me a free replacement or a refund. I took the replacement and I'm now waiting for my new phone.
Hopefully this issue doesn't happen again.
0 Likes
Tom1206
First Poster
Options

Hi, (I don't speak English very well and use translation software to answer!)
Happy New Year and best of luck to you.

I have solved the problem of my mobile hotspot not staying connected in my S21+.
The S21+ has a 5G disconnect problem and to solve this problem, you must install 2 SIM cards. (The first one is a new SIM card, the second one is an old card with no function)
Although the second SIM card is not functional, this way, there will no longer be a 5G disconnection, and no mobile hotspot disconnection will occur. (Should this be a Samsung bug?)
I have posted the test process (in Chinese) on the website, I hope it can help you!
https://goodname20211225.blogspot.com/p/s21.html

Cactusking
Explorer
Options
Huh, I didn't know that you could solve that issue in the way that you did 🤔.
I read your article online, and I have to say that you really went in depth with this issue.
By the way I receive the replacement handset from Samsung and it has been going well for me so far. However, there is a slight issue with a line appearing on my screen when I turn the screen on on. It disappears after less than a second but it doesn't help with my confidence in samsung quality control of their devices.
I'm going to go to samsung kx once more to return my loaner phone and ask them about this issue. If I have one more thing go wrong for me I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch to Google. The amount of issues I've had this the S21 Ultra is unacceptable.
0 Likes
Neo_73
Apprentice
Options

I found the solution. Go to hotspot settings. Advanced. Change data limit from zero to whatever you want or unlimited. I found mine was set to zero mb limit so it automatically turned off every time I turned it on as the 0mb limit was hit as soon as i turned it on.

Its been frustrating me for ages but now sorted.

Cheers

Cab43
Apprentice
Options

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies and I'm glad some of you foumd found a fix for your individual devices.

Sadly my s21 has gone to a better place (a moments silence please)

It went off to Samsung to be repaired, they sent it back saying it had passed all tests and was fine, so I called CS and said it was far from fine and was constantly losing signal and that was causing the hotspot to drop out, and that while it had been away for repair my spare S10 had performed faultlessly, so away it went again to be fixed, this time they said it was not fixable and offered me a refund or another phone.

They said they didn't have any S21's in stock (bit odd) and that I could have a z flip 3 instead, I politely declined and took the refund.

I have to say that apart from initially sending the phone back saying there was nothing wrong with it, that samsung were very helpful with the whole process and had no problem with issuing me with an almost full refund.

Good luck to all,

Paul.

0 Likes