Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy s21 FE a lot of things right but basic stuff is missing! It needs to be fixed in the next iteration of the S series

(Topic created on: 06-01-2022 08:35 PM)
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

Heya, I hope you are all having a good time and you are all safe in this harsh times.

The s21 FE 5G in my opinion is a great device and it takes on its shoulders the heritage of the S20 FE 5G which was arguably the best galaxy S series launched by Samsung in 2020. However Samsung needs to address the removal of the SD card slot and the headphone jack.

It is right that the storage options are increasing however the security offered by an SD card which provides a backup option always in use in case of terminal damage of the device is really too important whereas the headphone jack is fundamental for versatility in situations when you do not have wireless earbuds or they would be another thing which needs to be charged and become a bit of an impedence (when you are at the hospital for example or you are out somewhere and you need to be able to plug a pair of headphones and you need them quickly and buying a cheap pair of cabled earbuds to do the job is something which can be easily found everywhere).

The price is a bit too high considering there is no charger in the box and positions it in quite an odd place since I have seen the regular s21 go on sale for less in phisical shops.

Certainly a great device which will sell as well as its predecessor but really I think that the SD card option at least must be given in such tier of devices, with the s22 series rumoured not to have the SD card slot too there is little to do for this year, however I hope Samsung considers to re-implement the slot in their 2023 lineup because it is really something which could differentiate them from the competition!

I hope you have a nice day,

Stay safe

Archer
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Like it or not SD and Headphone Jack are on their way out.
Cloud and Bluetooth is the way forward.
Cloud is more secure and future proof than an SD.
And Bluetooth noise cancelling phones like the bose 700 are Awesome.
I hope you do realise cheap earbuds will do more harm then good.
Not saying you need to buy expensive ones. Just good quality ones.
The future is wireless.
0 Likes
sharon0211
Explorer
Options
Archer_Legend I totally agree with you. I recently bought the s21 ultra after much humming and ha ing because of these facts. I've always preferred to have the extra sd storage just in case of problems with phones (it does happen). Also like wired earphones as wireless i find are too fiddly and easily lost!
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

I have an s10plus and the fact of having all my pictures on my SD card at any time is something reassuring in case of damage and also makes it super easy to take data on and off the device just by removing the sd card and plugging it elsewhere. Also I do not have to bother with paying a subscription to a cloud service nor have to bother with the date or other metadata inside of the pictures being messed around with while uploading or donwloading them from the cloud, I basically have everything at my fingertips and it is something I cannot do without. I cannot imagine using a phone without an SD card slot, and that is a pity because as much as the fold and s22 lineup are interesting I really cannot get over the lack of such a basic device.

The wired headphones are fantastic! I have found myself in various situations where my galaxy buds would have been another necessary and easy to loose weight, whereas the wired buds are much more versatile. I know that there are USB-C ones but you cannot charge the device while using them and you also have an increased risk of damaging the port if you use them while the device is in your pocket or your bag: with the jack the thing which will get damage at most is the cable not the jack itself!

I really hope Samsung reconsiders their implementation since it does not add any real cost to the manufacturing process!

Archer
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I also like these things, but like it or not.
Most are uploading to cloud services now, me included these days.
If anything we're to go wrong with the phone, I have my storage backed up.
Also it's a nightmare when an SD card goes wrong. As has happened to me on a few occasions, I lost all the information on them.
As for headphone Jack's. Although annoying not to have one, I have a dongle to plug wired headphones in with or plugging into my car stereo.
I also loved having a removable battery, as when that went flat, I could just swap straight over to a full one. But those have been long gone now
0 Likes
Archer_Legend
Voyager
Options

Removable batteries were nice, perhaps with the plastic backs they could reintroduce them if they wanted too. I am fine with the non removable ones since especially with a plastic back it is really easy to remove it however on samsung devices there is so much glue to keep the battery in place, I would love if they made them easier to remove and if they sold them directly to costumers this would help increase the lifespan of the device for most  people.

Unfortunately uploading to the cloud I feel is not a good solution from both a privacy and usability perspective, and it is true that if something gets removed after the initial complaints people learn and adapt to leave without it however I think that this policy does not represent what has made samsung devices great in the past and I really hope for them to steer around and get back on track!

Archer
0 Likes