Did you mean: 

Ditching google = Battery Savings?

(Topic created on: 19-05-2021 09:14 PM)
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Hi 
Lovely People.

Just wondering if I were to ditch some of google products if it would help in battery savings as google services do drain a lot.

Mostly thinking of ditching 

Chrome - I use Edge and love it more.

Phone - Yeah I actually installed the google one.

Message App - Thinking of going back to samsung one.

Photos - As we have samsung gallery.

The reason is since google is stopping free uploads I might as well go with samsung and MS.

Also Android feature are no longer exciting as samsung is way ahead of them in terms of features and duplication of apps has always been a pain on samsung phones.

I have pixel4XL in case I need pure google.

Would love to know, how you'll manage your apps.

Are you using Google, samsung etc or a mixture.

And any alternatives would help.

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Hi

Screenshot_20210510-232356_One UI Home.jpg

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I think chrome is really ram intensive so using a lighter weight browser may help reduce battery drain (I noticed my Chrome using 1GB system RAM one time). Although I think a lot of the issues may be tied to the websites.
RXM
Troubleshooter
Options
I dunno since switching to Duckduckgo browser I've noticed it takes very little battery at all. Also its only 70 or 80mb max including cache whereas the other major browsers can be 10x as much. I used Edge which I liked too and was linked to my Microsoft 365 too, tried Samsungs One too which also liked a lot but after less than a week both are around 6-700mb in size and hogging battery. They reduce way down when I clear the cache and delete browsing history etc. But I feel you need a normal browser to compliment one like DDG as it's privacy focused implementation can hamper certain things so I use Samsung Internet and DDG depending on what I'm doing.
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Edge is chromium, same code as as Chrome so battery life difference would be negligible. I do the opposite and turn off all the Samsung duplicate apps.
0 Likes
WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

I don't use Chrome, it uses up the battery on my macbook pro in no time! I use the Samsung browser on my S21 Ultra.

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It is chromium based, but google has more services running in background then edge surely.
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Not really, there's nothing much in the way of background services used by either browser on the Android platform. If you are concerned that much by battery life then enable lite mode in Google Chrome, install Google Go, Google Maps Go, Gallery Go and disable the full fat versions. That would be a reasonable compromise. You can disable them completely of course and run your device akin to LineageOS which seems to be your desire. Samsung equivalents are all well and good but some lack certain functions. HERE maps by Nokia is a good alternative too. Samsung are not the way ahead long term as they are also cutting back services for cloud storage and have a habit of abandoning apps or confusingly offering multiple versions in their app store of the same thing.
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Agree.. and that's the pain. All of them even Microsoft are unreliable.
I ain't much for the battery as the S21 is good for a day.
I just not happy google stopped their free cloud for photos 😝
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
I still have 18GB left of my 19GB Google Storage. I don't tend to upload images that often, the last batch were historical images I'd scanned to share with a School in Germany my Grandmother attended while her Parents worked there too. They are researching the history and asked former pupils to help with any information or photos they had.
0 Likes