Did you mean: 

Adobe PDF AI add on

(Topic created on: 23-07-2023 02:58 PM)
Kelvin298
Apprentice
Options
Good afternoon,
This is my first time asking for help.
I have recently downloaded the above file onto my Samsung phone. It is playing havoc with nearly everything on my phone.
I have been trying to remove that app by deleting it. If will not allow it to be deleted!!
My phone, which could be powered off, can not be powered off it is remaining on all the time.
Has anyone else had this problem, and if you have, how did you resolve it, please?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dumii
First Poster
Options

Today I helped someone with the same issue.
They came to me asking about this app they can't uninstall, and to me seems like it's a malware that came out of an official Play Market store. They tried installing an email app, and that email app required you to download this PDF Ai: Addon app, outside play market.

Once it has been installed, you couldn't uninstall it, as every time you try to hold down the app to pop the menu to uninstall it flashes back to main screen to prevent itself from being removed. If you try to go in Settings > Apps > [app name] and try to uninstall from there, it will send you back to home screen again.
Tried going into settings to reset it's full control over the phone permissions, and that was blocked as well, it sends you to main menu on the phone. Then I tried installing an app to remove it (CCleaner), and when you try to open it it closes the app. Very nasty malware.
Then I noticed it also not letting you Power  off the phone or restart, as it turns off your screen when the power off button show up.

I found out you can remove it in Safe Mode, but i needed to figure out a way to get in safe mode, as I noticed the buttons cobination didn't work.

So here is my solution. First of all, find out if your phone model has a specific way of getting into safe mode (for example, a button combination to restart in Safe mode).

What I also noticed when trying to troubleshoot this problem was the fact that after a forced phone reboot, when you open your phone (after the lock screen, when it says "Phone is starting...." you can see something flashing for a second at the beginning, meaning that malware initialized. I also noticed that the malware only initializes after you went away from lock screen (after a fresh restart). Meaning that after a phone restart, you can access your power off buttons. 

So, for the solution, first of all, you need to forcefully shutdown the phone, the way i did it was to hold down POWER button and both Volume buttons, and just keep holding until the  phone eventually shuts down. Once it's back online, Do not unlock the screen, instead hold the power off button until you get the power off/restart option, and then hold down on the Power off option on the screen, until it shows "Safe Mode". Click on that option and it should let you restart your phone in Safe Mode. From there try to uninstall the app again, it should definitely work.

Hope this helps someone.

View solution in context

15 REPLIES 15
UNKNOWNUSERNAME
Big Cheese
Options
Welcome to the samsung community, from what I've heard Adobe PDF AI add-on has caused alot of issues recently. search it up and there might be a solution, don't hesitate to ask for help, keep well 🙂
AndrewL
Options

@Kelvin298: Did you download the app from an official source such as the Google Play Store and Galaxy Store, or did you download it from a third party site? If you head to Settings > Apps > Tap the 3 lines to the right of 'Your apps' > Show system apps (toggle this on) > OK, then check the list of apps, is it visible here? If so, does it give you the option to 'Uninstall' when you select it? 

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Try placing phone in safe mode then remove app.
0 Likes
Kelvin298
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for the advise, at present the phone has been run down flat. I will recharge it again tomorrow then I will see what happens after.

0 Likes
Members_WDc092s
First Poster
Options

Hi AndrewL

Unfortunately this doesnt work on my Samsung, it just takes me back to the Settings button. But it was worth trying.

THanks

0 Likes
Solution
Dumii
First Poster
Options

Today I helped someone with the same issue.
They came to me asking about this app they can't uninstall, and to me seems like it's a malware that came out of an official Play Market store. They tried installing an email app, and that email app required you to download this PDF Ai: Addon app, outside play market.

Once it has been installed, you couldn't uninstall it, as every time you try to hold down the app to pop the menu to uninstall it flashes back to main screen to prevent itself from being removed. If you try to go in Settings > Apps > [app name] and try to uninstall from there, it will send you back to home screen again.
Tried going into settings to reset it's full control over the phone permissions, and that was blocked as well, it sends you to main menu on the phone. Then I tried installing an app to remove it (CCleaner), and when you try to open it it closes the app. Very nasty malware.
Then I noticed it also not letting you Power  off the phone or restart, as it turns off your screen when the power off button show up.

I found out you can remove it in Safe Mode, but i needed to figure out a way to get in safe mode, as I noticed the buttons cobination didn't work.

So here is my solution. First of all, find out if your phone model has a specific way of getting into safe mode (for example, a button combination to restart in Safe mode).

What I also noticed when trying to troubleshoot this problem was the fact that after a forced phone reboot, when you open your phone (after the lock screen, when it says "Phone is starting...." you can see something flashing for a second at the beginning, meaning that malware initialized. I also noticed that the malware only initializes after you went away from lock screen (after a fresh restart). Meaning that after a phone restart, you can access your power off buttons. 

So, for the solution, first of all, you need to forcefully shutdown the phone, the way i did it was to hold down POWER button and both Volume buttons, and just keep holding until the  phone eventually shuts down. Once it's back online, Do not unlock the screen, instead hold the power off button until you get the power off/restart option, and then hold down on the Power off option on the screen, until it shows "Safe Mode". Click on that option and it should let you restart your phone in Safe Mode. From there try to uninstall the app again, it should definitely work.

Hope this helps someone.

Kelvin298
Apprentice
Options
Today, I would like to thank the community for the support and helpfulness in the advice given to resolve my issue.
To finally find that I had downloaded a Malware. This had allsorts of problems, which were highlighted in the email I received this afternoon.
Following the instructions given on how to find and operate the Safe Mode.
I was able to delete the malware from the phone. This has now resolved all the issues, allowing normal operation of the phone.
Again, many thanks for your hard work to enable me to resolve this issue.
Stephanie1676
First Poster
Options

Thank you so much for your post, I have successfully gotten rid of that awful malware 😊

LavenderGirl
First Poster
Options
Thank you so much. My grandkids downloaded an app and I ended up with PDF AI. Would not uninstall and greatly affected my controls not allowing my phone to do certain things. Been so worried as could not get rid. Thanks to finding you info here I followed the instructions and yesss has now been unistalled and my phone is working normal again. Thank you so mu h.