Did you mean: 

Original topic:

21 Ultra GPS/Compass issues.

(Topic created on: 28-11-2021 01:22 PM)
WillH
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S21 Series
I have been having constant compass/GPS direction issues with my 3 week old S21 Ultra. 

I am unable to calibrate the inbuilt compass. Google Maps calibrates breifly with the camera but then reverts to being incorrect. Calibrating Google Maps manually also does not work. 

Every navigation app I use has me facing 90° in the wrong direction. I have restarted and factory reset the phone and it has never been dropped or damaged. 

The case I have it in is Magsafe and taking it out improves calibration slightly but I'm at a loss as to what else to do to fix fully. Any help would be appreciated!
16 REPLIES 16
Members_kfiMV3Z
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S21 Series

Same issue in 2022. I've been hoping monthly software stability/security updates fixed this but they don't. Such a shame. And apparently Samsung doesn't read these posts either.

0 Likes
Pkmx1
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S21 Series

I have exactly same problem since I got S21 ultra new in Nov last year. Haven't found solution yet. I observed the error is at about 45-90 degree clockwise. I have to move while watching map to work out the direction everything which is frustrating. Just start to look for a solution on internet

0 Likes
gedircampos
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S21 Series

Has anyone managed to find a solution to this problem?

0 Likes
FrozenDung
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S21 Series

Unfortunately not I've still has this issue.

I use my galaxy watch for navigation in cities because the S21 Ultra is so bad with its compass.

0 Likes
OrionBG
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S21 Series

I have the same issue with my S21 Ultra and it is already April 2022... Trying to navigate on foot in a city like London is a nightmare with this phone due to the 90 degree error in the positioning... 

Samsung, fix this!!!

Members_W0Mj5kQ
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S21 Series

I too have had this issue from day 1 of owning the s21 ultra. The problem is so bad I cannot use it for walking navigation, which should be core function of this device. I'm tempted to start a class action lawsuit as many attempts to resolve this issue have failed and Samsung are not accepting liability for the issue. 

0 Likes
Geoff Infield
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy S21 Series

Same problem, same exact 90 degrees, same diagnostics.  I was using it to find the ISS for me to photograph with a proper camera and missed it because suddenly my phone is 90 degrees out (this was outdoors).

Went into google maps, can't find 'calibrate' anymore, but heads-up is 90 degrees out. Did all the figure 8s anyway, no change. 

Restarted the phone and it seemed okay. Nope. I stood in the middle of the room facing south with it showing S then sat down at the coffee table, boom - 90 degrees different again. 

To rule out a gigantic electromagnet hiding in the couch I stood up and faced south  on the same spot again. Still wrong.  Then I tried Dioptra - worse, rotating it goes N (when facing  South) then as far as NNE and starts going back again.

Sidebar compass keeps saying calibrate and it doesn't last more than a minute. 

0 Likes