Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21 Ultra GPS/Compass issues.

(Topic created on: 18-10-2022 07:05 AM)
WillH
Journeyman
Options
I have been having constant compass/GPS direction issues with my 3 week old S21 Ultra. 

I am unable to calibrate the inbuilt compass. Google Maps calibrates breifly with the camera but then reverts to being incorrect. Calibrating Google Maps manually also does not work. 

Every navigation app I use has me facing 90° in the wrong direction. I have restarted and factory reset the phone and it has never been dropped or damaged. 

The case I have it in is Magsafe and taking it out improves calibration slightly but I'm at a loss as to what else to do to fix fully. Any help would be appreciated!
31 REPLIES 31
Members_g2EHZMZ
First Poster
Options

I have always had the same issue..  You can tell all S21 owners because they are walking sideways trying to use maps 😂😂  ..  Anyway, I decided to go through the extended performance of the support chat and after the usual obvious Q&A.  (and the chat person acknowledged that their phone was doing the same !!!) They said the developers were aware of the issue and working on a fix ??  for well over a year ??

Anyway,,,,  I was eventually told to go to setting and delete the data for maps and restart the phone - surprise surprise that seems to have fixed it..   

Instructions are..

Clear the data of the 'Maps' app.

To clear an app's data:
1. From the home screen, swipe either up or down to access apps.
2. Select Settings.
3. Select Apps.
4. Select the sort by icon next to 'Your apps'.
5. Select the switch next to 'Show system apps' and select OK.
6. Select the app you'd like to clear.
7. Select Storage.
8. Select Clear data.

Turn your device off for 20 seconds, and then turn it back on again.

Hope it works for others..

Members_CK2h2fG
First Poster
Options

Glalaxy S21 Ultra .

All is updated , restarted etc.

The Magnetic sensor test gets a "FAIL" , any ideas besides repair center?

Tnx.

0 Likes
catalayse
Student
Options

I tried this but it didn't work. It calibrates briefly but within a day or two I'm back to low accuracy and can't use my navigation system because I'm getting directions from two blocks away from where I actually am.  The solution from Samsung is to send it in since it's still under warranty so I would just be without a phone while they try to figure out how to fix it or replace it. It's completely an unacceptable solution.  This is so frustrating... it's my first Samsung and will probably be my last!?

WillH
Journeyman
Options
I've been through the entire Live Chat process AGAIN and done all the troubleshooting AGAIN and was given a call back, saying despite Samsung's inability to fix the manufacturing issue, I would still have to send the phone off to be looked at by a technician. I would be without my phone for 10 days - not possible as I need it for work. I requested to speak to a supervisor and got a call back today (while at work). I was told they would call back a couple more times, and when I answered, they immediately hung up - clearly just trying to show they tried on the call log. Disgusting customer service.
wnoorman
First Poster
Options

thanks!! this solved the issue for me. 

0 Likes
Rachel Gomez
Journeyman
Options

Tips to fix-
Toggle the GPS. 
Toggle Airplane Mode. 
Power Saving Mode. 
Restart your Galaxy S21. 
Tweak the GPS Settings (Fixes searching for GPS problems in Google Maps on Galaxy S21) 
Update Google Maps on your Galaxy S21. 
Clear Cache and Data on your Samsung Galaxy S21.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

0 Likes
Balldy
First Poster
Options
had this issue for a while , hope its a software bug, maybe an update can fix it? , noticed it on apps like sky map ..Google maps is just annoying the arrow or direction it shows that I'm looking in is flipped so it appears I'm walking while holding my phone the wrong way around or walking backwards. come on man .. I paid good money for this phone (S21 Ultra)
eniel
Student
Options

To this date the problem remains unresolved. For the navigation issue I am using Osmand instead of Google Maps. Apparently they give a "special" treatment, at least different, to the subject of the compass, they even have a setting to select which sensor to use for the compass reading (orientation sensor or magnetic sensor). By default, the use of the magnetic sensor is disabled, which implies using the orientation sensor. This technical issue is not clear to me, but for now it works for me. In addition, Osmand provides the option to orient the map based on movement. I am also noticing that the position of the phone, horizontal or vertical, when opening any of the two applications, influences the error and the time it takes for the application to correct it. Most of the times that I open the application with the phone horizontal, the orientation appears correct, with the phone tilted tending to vertical, the error is more noticeable.

0 Likes
levs1
First Poster
Options

Worked for me! I did this for Google Maps. It's an actual solution. Thanks.

0 Likes
nitelife
First Poster
Options

My last two phones have been S20 Ultra and now S21 Ultra. I can confirm I've never experienced such an abysmal compass functionality on a smart phone. The navigation in a cyclist or pedestrian mode in Google Maps is practically unusable, as the compas direction stays aligned with true direction very often only for a short period of time. This has even led me to consider other phone models and manufacturers. It's truly a horrible experience, when you try to use it for navigation in a phone mount with bike or electric scooter. You have to constantly stop to *try* to recalibrate, as the compass very frequently turns to point 90 to 180 degrees off from the direction you're heading.

0 Likes