Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 ultra only focus when change camera mode

(Topic created on: 28-03-2021 03:28 PM)
BART_V
Explorer
Options

I have s20 ultra. When I open the camera app it start in foto mode. The phone will not focus at this point. If I put hand in front of the camera it get in focus but when I remove the hand, it goes back to the blurry background... 

When ik change mode to single shot is get in focus and when I go back to foto mode is does focus. 

I already restarted phone, did clear cach, did camera setting reset, partition clear...

As it does focus in single take it means it's software related...I have latest version of camera app. 

Does somebody have solution for this. Chat with samsung on WhatsApp was not really helpfull...

Hope somebody has idea or solution. 

Thanks Bart

20210318_113154.jpg

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
Kris G
Voyager
Options

i would uninstall other camera apps if you have some installed, other than that you will have to wait for another update, bcoz on my side the camera works as it supposed to

Huawei P8, Mate10Pro, P40Pro;
Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
Taffyapple
Journeyman
Options
I've got something similar. And last night's update didn't fix it. However, someone pointed out that if you tap the side of the phone it does go into focus. Ridiculous for a £1k bit of kit.
0 Likes
bartverdonck
Apprentice
Options

I did clear wipe cache partition, reset alle camera settings, started in safe mode, used other app. Did full factory rest.... Still the same, in foto mode the camera does not focus on object in some distance... so just mode swap give tick noise so I assume lens activate and then I have direct focus when I return to foto it works fine... so I assume it is camera logic.... looks like focus does not react in photo mode... 

Samsung s20 ultra with crappy camera... well done samsung. I'm done with it... many complaints but via WhatsApp support they NEVER heard about it... so still no solution. 

Hope somebody get it fixed. Was working fine in the beginning so might be linked to software update?

0 Likes
bartverdonck
Apprentice
Options

I already did all...wipe cache partition. Full factory reset etc so no progress...getting done with it. Wife has iphone and samsung looks aliexpress quality next to it...really consider to drop all and shift to apple for phone and tablets... no support from samsung support they NEVER heard about it... pfff 

0 Likes
Kris G
Voyager
Options

before you switch, google for problems with apple, bcoz you may find yourself in same situation but with different brand

Huawei P8, Mate10Pro, P40Pro;
Samsung S20Ultra;
Xiaomi MiNote10;
0 Likes
PvtFrost
First Poster
Options
I have the same problem and tapping the side if the phone does seem to work. Mine will not focus on 1.0x but will at 0.5x and 5.0x. Ridiculous!
bartverdonck
Apprentice
Options

Helpdesk tells me to send back the phone for check however don't know if it is seen as warranty.... don't want to pay 250 for new module which can have some issue later....pff no clear info at all from samsung side.

0 Likes
NicoGF-28
First Poster
Options

I have been dealing with the same problem for the last 2-3 months now... I have tried everything (even what I just saw on these comments) but it didn"t not fixed the focusing problem... Any further ideas? 😞 :/.. This makes no sense for a phone "this good".

0 Likes
bartverdonck
Apprentice
Options

Good morning, 

I contacted Samsung support in different ways. One one could tell me the real issue.... the lens is lose as it's stabilised when the camera is used. When not used it's lose and when you shake the phone it might give ticking noise.... the focus issue is described by samsung as "normal". When the camera is not used the les can move little. AND NOW the issue starts. As the lens is lose it might get stuck in the housing /jammed... with small hit/shake you get it free again to move... so I told them this is design mistake,... but they replied, this is how it works. So when I send the phone back I don't know it they will consider to replace as they state this is how it works... so new module might have same problem again.... if I drive my car, I DON'T need to kick my front wheel to be able to turn.... so for me, samsumg did make design mistake and does not take responsibility as too many customers have same issue.... for me this was my last Samsung device... sorry I can't help you out.... BUT when I use my phone I first jam/hit it and everybody asks me "what are you doing" so I tell them this story over and over again why NOT to but High end "uhum uhum" Samsung devices........

0 Likes