Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20 FE 5G not updating to Android 13.

(Topic created on: 11-01-2023 07:35 AM)
NPW10
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G (SM-G781U) bought in December 2022 from a retail shop in the United Kingdom. The current Android version is 12, the One UI is 4.1, and the Android security patch level shows May 2022.

I know Android 13 has been available for the S20 FE for a while, and I have tried using "Software update" in the Settings to attempt to get the phone to update, but the message still comes back "Your software is up to date". 

I have another S20 FE, but the 4G version, which updated to Android 13 many months ago.

What am I missing? Why will it not update to Android 13 please? Is it something to with the particular model number, SM-G781U? From Googling, I think this is the US version, but the shop never mentioned anything about this. The box was sealed and had a UK mains adaptor in it, so I never suspected an issue.

Please help!

Thank you very much! 

17 REPLIES 17
keith30
Maestro
Options
It might depend where you purchased the device from and also a bit puzzled how it came to you with a UK mains adaptor according to you. The phones now no longer come supplied with a mains adaptor and infact haven't for quite few years. Maybe you need to speak with the provider as they normally release the software updates, I'm sure how you would come on if like you suspect is a US version.
0 Likes
NPW10
Explorer
Options

Keith, thank you kindly for your answer, I appreciate your time. I bought this phone from an independent phone shop for £370. It did indeed have a white charging cable inside, and a white Samsung UK mains adaptor, a fast charger, not a superfast charger. The box was sealed, I had to cut the seal. Phone and accessories were perfect, so no doubt the phone is genuine.

Perhaps you, or someone else, can explain to me how the software updates work please? I was under the impression that Samsung rolled them out, but you mention speaking with my phone provider, which of course I will do, but is the provider that releases the updates? When I tap "Software update" in Settings, does that not check with Samsung if there are any updates with my phone?

Thank you again Keith! 

0 Likes
Daz73r
Helping Hand
Options
S20 fe comes with a 15w brick
0 Likes
MobilityGuy
First Poster
Options

Hey man! Please let us know how you resolved your issue, OK? I'm experiencing the same thing on my S20. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Slothtamerv2
Navigator
Options
So it's u.s.a that's why as its not made for u.k, try smart things on a p.c, what shop was it as you could get your money back
0 Likes
NPW10
Explorer
Options

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try Smart Things on a PC to update the software, hopefully this works. I could return the phone, but I like it and it works perfectly in all other respects. I'm sure there must be a way to update it, I just need to find that way. Even if it is a US version, surely the US must get updates too, so perhaps it's a matter of time before it eventually updates. If Smart Things doesn't work, I might take it to a Samsung retail store for further advice. Thank you all!

0 Likes
Fragile
First Poster
Options

Journeyman, did you have any luck getting your Galaxy S20 FE to upgrade? I'm having the same problem. What is Smart Things that is mentioned?

0 Likes
Fragile
First Poster
Options

Smart switch from a PC performed the update

0 Likes
NPW10
Explorer
Options

Fragile, please can you tell me exactly how you managed to do the update?

I have already tried to connect my S20 FE 5G (SM-G781U) to a Windows 10 laptop, with the phone and laptop both running Smart Switch. When I go into Smart Switch on the laptop, it does not begin an update, nor can I see any options to force an update. Two big buttons in the middle are Backup and Restore.

Anyone else still having an issue getting this model to update? It's still on Android 12 with the latest security patch level 1 May 2022. Incredible. Almost a year, no security update. 

Please help! Thanks!

0 Likes