Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Can't record audio with external mic

(Topic created on: 08-06-2020 06:22 PM)
JarvisJo
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I have been spending the past week ordering items and trying out combinations to no avail!
My phone is the s20
I am trying to use an AKG microphone, via a scarlett 2i2 interface as audio input, and nothing seems to work.
At first I naively thought that I all had to do was plug the USB audio interface into the phone via USB: as some of you may have already experienced, it produces a horrible screeching sound!
So I assumed that it would work instead with audio cables, that I would plug into my phone via a jack 3.5 to USB-C cable, so I bought both of those, plugged it in and... Nothing.
After hours of searching I found out that I had to buy a signal splitter, to plug the audio cable into the mic female jack and that would then connect to the jack to usb-c via a TRRS jack... So I buy that...
And still nothing!

I read that USB audio player pro has a driver that can bypass the phone's USB driver, so I purchase it... I still can't record audio when I record a video! 
I have exhausted every options, find nothing else on the internet, and can't understand WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT to just record USB audio with this device??
I must also tell you that

-all of this works perfectly with my previous phone the S10 with the audio plugged via the headphone Jack
-My headset microphone works fine when I plug it in via the 3.5 jack to USB-c cable, or when I plug it into the microphone jack of the signal splitter. So the problem doesn't come from the cable.
-When I try to record I can hear through my interface's direct monitoring the sound picked up by my AKG microphone through my headphones. So the mic works, the interface works and sends the right signal. But that is still not the audio signal recorded by the phone! 
-When I press record on the phone, I get the notification "recording audio through headset", so it DOES detect my microphone but then it still record audio through the built-in mic. WHYYY??
What do I need to do, to connect my audio interface to my phone and get it to record the audio that comes from it?
I feel like I've exhausted every possibility, and I can't believe that there wouldn't be a solution??

Thank you very much to anyone who could help.

Go to solution
42 REPLIES 42
NikolaSocrates
First Poster
Options

Simple, easy, more compact, and probably cheaper solution:  Get a TRS to TRRS adapter: https://youtu.be/gAAOfZA1h1Y

0 Likes
Dodger1
First Poster
Options

ChicagoBhoy that's incredible that you have the solution!  I also tried the app "Open Camera", as I saw it demonstrated on a YouTube video, but it didn't work for me!  I also have a Galaxy S20 - did you use a splitter (headphone/mic) as well as a USB-C to 3.5 mm adapter WITH DAC ?  or what adapters did you use?  I tried a few of the adapters with DAC, including the Samsung brand with DAC that is "supposed" to work with this... no luck.  In  the Open Camera app, can you tell us specifically what settings you switched on, from its own default settings?  There are a lot of choices in the Settings options in this app.

You may have finally solved this for hundreds of Samsung phone users! Thanks in advance for the specific answers on what adapters you used, as well as that settings you turned on , in the Open Camera app.   Nice work! And yes,  the app is FREE!

0 Likes
skirm7
Student
Options

It all depends on the software update. I had a galaxy s10e and tried to connect a rode ai 1 usb audio interface. Didn't work. Then after several software updates started working well without any hiss. Then after road upgrades it didn’t work again. I have a galaxy s21 the same, the sound is noisy and everything. If samsung does not update the software neither s20 nor others will work. Software update required.

0 Likes
Newlife_ng
First Poster
Options

There was that problem. I bought an airig stream and now there are no problems, everything can be written without problems ... The only problem is the poor quality when recording a live broadcast on YouTube, the sound is somehow bad, the codecs on the phone are to blame, because when recording a live broadcast on Facebook, the sound is written gorgeous . For sound recording with third-party applications, it is 100% suitable, the quality is excellent ...

0 Likes
Newlife_ng
First Poster
Options

iRig Stream

0 Likes
BeeeBeee
First Poster
Options

Is this a TRRS 4 pole connector? Can't see that on the spec...read that I need this to input an external mic? Well confused!

0 Likes
Cris Ribeiro3
First Poster
Options

I tested it with galaxy S9, Poco X3, iPhone 6 and they all worked perfectly. My Galaxy S20 no results

0 Likes
LennyZenith
First Poster
Options

Yeah, super disappointing Samsung! I would get my s10e back if I could. The S22 doesn't have an audio jack, no external storage slot, lost the side touch ID recogniction. *****. Wish I could return it!

0 Likes
Daniel Corro
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem with a Scarlett 4i4 (USB bus powered) on my A22 5G. The same screeching sound you mentioned. 

Then I tried with a Scarlett Solo (USB bus powered) and it worked fine getting the mic signal on the phone. 

I think maybe is an energy issue that seems to be related to the quantity of preamps. The Solo has only one preamp and the 2i2 has two preamps. 

Hope this info could help someone.

0 Likes
geoffrey5239
First Poster
Options

Just to say that your advice has not helped with my Samsung S22 which has the same problem of the USB port adapter working with a headset microphone but not an external microphone.  I have the same JSAUX USB to TRRS adapter  (which I think is the model you were using) but with my set up only the headset microphone is seen.  Can you please confirm which model of adapter you used.

0 Likes