Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen cracked on its own. DID NOT DROP

(Topic created on: 04-12-2021 04:45 PM)
2beers_ac
Journeyman
Options

I bought my A42 November 7th and also bought an Otterbox so it was protected from day 1. This was my first Samsung phone, and it took quite some time for me to set it up. On November 17th I was working with one other coworker doing a simple project. I used a photo on my phone to build what I was doing like I have countless other times. I very gently set the phone down (I DID NOT DROP IT!) and as I looked away, I noticed my phone looked to be covered in dust. So, I picked it up. It was cracked top to bottom, it had pieces of glass and dust on it and the screen was black. If my coworker wasn't on the other side of me I would be convinced she hit it with a hammer by the way it looked, but she was a witness to this and was just as baffled as me. 

1. Verizon told me I need a whole new device.
  2. Ubreakifix said the screen just needed replaced, they called 8 days later saying they could not get the repair kit and I would need to contact Samsung for one.
  3. Samsung told me I needed to send the phone in, and I would be paying for a repair, didn't even respond to my situation. 
  4. Ubreakifix now says to send the phone to them and I should have it back in 5-8 days. 

I spent $450 on a phone I used for about 10 days, this is not right! I doubt I will ever buy samsung again if they do not do the right thing...

12 REPLIES 12
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
All due respect, phones don't typically go from perfectly fine to looking like it's been smashed with a hammer without any form of impact. If it looks like it's been dropped then obviously Samsung won't repair or replace it since it's accidental damage and its not covered in the warranty. If you send it in to Samsung and they discover it to be an internal fault then they will repair it under the warranty but if it can't be proven then I doubt you have any other option than paying for a repair or new phone
GeorgeBriant
Pioneer
Options
If you've put a case on it then the case must have stressed the frame of the phone and if you've put it in your back pocket then sat on it you might have cracked it
0 Likes
GeorgeBriant
Pioneer
Options
Considering the bend gate problem for the iPhone 6
0 Likes
GeorgeBriant
Pioneer
Options
But pls don't just not buy from Samsung mabey get a used top range phone so you have a bit more premium build for cheap
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Yeah I've never heard of a screen breaking without being stressed, flexed, hit or dropped before mate. The moral of this very popular well trodden path is to always take out some form of device/gadget insurance if it is worth any sort of money 😏👍
2beers_ac
Journeyman
Options

The case being too tight was my only logical reason this happened but that's just as insane. I've had otterbox for years on my Motorola.  I also thought Verizon may have sold me a refurbished or returned phone. Either way there's no way to tell this story without being called a liar so that in addition to feeling like I was just robbed is bringing me down more than i thought a cell phone ever could lol. I do have the insurance and I have to mail it off for repair. The irony is I passed on the deductible for my old phone so I could have a brand new better phone...

2beers_ac
Journeyman
Options

I came to these forums to put this on record in case it happens to someone else. I've heard of samsung phones committing suicide before. 

0 Likes
Slizzered
Navigator
Options
Batteries in some older phones have very rarely exploded and internals can overheat, but that would be blatantly obvious since the screen would have melted. Looking like a hammer has hit it, would indicate damage caused by external impact, especially if the phone still operates fine.
0 Likes
2beers_ac
Journeyman
Options

My phones does not operate anymore. Thats why its so bizarre, usually a cracked screen will still allow the phone to work but this thing is broken and black. I'm telling you something strange happened here.

I did read about the battery overheating since it was too large and causing a fire. My situation is different as it seems like it popped. Ive found a couple other "broke on their own" stories but they had the device for some time.

Life could be worse... my sister gave me her old Note8 and its fine so far, Ill send off this A42 and hope its just the screen and comes home good as new. 

0 Likes