Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A40 SDCard and SIM Card Issues

(Topic created on: 29-05-2020 11:41 AM)
Jam1973
Student
Options

My Samsung A40 is less than six months old and ever since the last firmware update I am constantly getting SDCard and SIM card detection issues; I am not suprised I get both as they share an oversize sim/sdcard carrier which takes two sims.

Googling the issue seems to suggest this is not uncommon and yesterday a firmware update was pushed to my phone amongst other thing to "fix SIM card detection issues" and I was hopeful (A405FNXXU3BTD4/A405FNOXM3BTD3/A405FNXXU3BTD2); security patch level 1 May 2020.

However, I have already had both errors (always get both)

My concern is that this is a design flaw as the carrier takes two sims and an SD card and is so massive and must be prone to flexing.

One thing that seems to help is to take my phone out of its flip case; I'm not sure if this causing flexing, or the phone to heat up or if it is a read herring....all I know is:

1. Errors occur often in case

2. Zero errors yesterday when I has phone out of carry case

3. Several errors this morning when I put phone is the case after the firmware update

4. Currently no more errors since out of teh case

5. No errors priore to last update (excluding yesterdays..which has not helped)

The case has been used since I had the phone, yet there where no errors.

Has anyone else experience this?

Can Samsung own up to a problem?

How do I fix it; returning phone for repair is a faff as its less than 6m old and I dont have a spare plus the hassle of backing up etc

24 REPLIES 24
RaStiScaR
Apprentice
Options

Hello, did the issue happened to you again ?

0 Likes
RaStiScaR
Apprentice
Options

we are similar
a couple both having same phone, mine has that issue, and even after 29 days of repair, the issue still occurs  ! thats ridiculous.
The phone of my GF got an issue with the USB charging port not working anymore.
it got repaired on month ago, lets see how many time it last.
that phone stings s*....

0 Likes
shadymathers
Journeyman
Options
sorry to hear that as it's really frustrating! my fix in the end was to tape down the sim and memory card with small strips of electricians tape. as I found no matter how careful you are removing or inserting the tray,the sim or memory card popped out of their housing slightly.
kelbel
First Poster
Options
Had the same problem with the same phone so sent ot of to be looked at .Got a replacement same model and happening again not impressed
0 Likes
Saeglopur
Apprentice
Options

Fill tray with any microSD card and even secondary SIM if you could find any - this tray is too big and loose, that is why phone behaves like that! Just making it all more stiff did the trick!

Nisse
First Poster
Options

My Samsung A40 also since the last firmware update - aug 8, constantly getting SDCard and SIM card detection issues. Looks like software error reading this thread?

0 Likes
sadakohere
First Poster
Options
Hi, it's a nightmare and after multiple restarts and re-insertions, it persists. How do you tape it down?
0 Likes
shadymathers
Journeyman
Options
I removed the tray and refitted the sim and sd card. I then cut thin strips of 'electricians tape' and taped the top of the sim and card onto the frame of the tray.try not to overlap the bits of tape onto each other too much as you wont be able to slide the tray back in.
Swissling85
Student
Options

I noticed the same exact thing. No problems out of the case, errors occur more or less immediately when I put the case back on. I received a replacement SIM card, did a hard reset and tried all sorts of crazy hacks that I found online. Nothing made a difference. So, I purchased a different case, hoping it would work better, but the SIM error keeps popping up as soon as either case is on. The cases are fitted quite tightly, and the phone itself is quite thin. My theory is that the pressure of the case bends the phone ever so slightly which leads to contact problems. Whenever I get a call now I immediately take the case off to avoid the call to drop. It's not a solution and it's very irritating. But yeah, you're not imagining things.

0 Likes
Swissling85
Student
Options

Shadymathers, is it still working okay now?

UPDATE: Just saw your post re tape. I'll try that. Thank you!

0 Likes