Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A40 SDCard and SIM Card Issues

(Topic created on: 29-05-2020 11:41 AM)
Jam1973
Student
Options

My Samsung A40 is less than six months old and ever since the last firmware update I am constantly getting SDCard and SIM card detection issues; I am not suprised I get both as they share an oversize sim/sdcard carrier which takes two sims.

Googling the issue seems to suggest this is not uncommon and yesterday a firmware update was pushed to my phone amongst other thing to "fix SIM card detection issues" and I was hopeful (A405FNXXU3BTD4/A405FNOXM3BTD3/A405FNXXU3BTD2); security patch level 1 May 2020.

However, I have already had both errors (always get both)

My concern is that this is a design flaw as the carrier takes two sims and an SD card and is so massive and must be prone to flexing.

One thing that seems to help is to take my phone out of its flip case; I'm not sure if this causing flexing, or the phone to heat up or if it is a read herring....all I know is:

1. Errors occur often in case

2. Zero errors yesterday when I has phone out of carry case

3. Several errors this morning when I put phone is the case after the firmware update

4. Currently no more errors since out of teh case

5. No errors priore to last update (excluding yesterdays..which has not helped)

The case has been used since I had the phone, yet there where no errors.

Has anyone else experience this?

Can Samsung own up to a problem?

How do I fix it; returning phone for repair is a faff as its less than 6m old and I dont have a spare plus the hassle of backing up etc

24 REPLIES 24
Briant566
Pioneer
Options

Hi if you check out my post on the issue 

Mine was the same back to samsung twice  the last time they changed the  card tray and this seems to have cured it

But if its just the SD card replace it or change it as it seems temperamental to some cards 

0 Likes
Tigz
First Poster
Options

Hey.

I seem to notice the same after software update.. Phone is constantly requesting to input sim card, and I have tried already rebooting also and it continued.

0 Likes
JEH1
First Poster
Options

I have an A40 7 months old and have exactly the same problem.

I also had a firmware update mentioning the "sd card not detected" error but it still occurs sometimes.

I've resorted to smacking it face down to reseat it.

It's about to be taken outside and smashed with a hammer, it's so annoying.

The A40 is the worst handset I've ever bought because of this issue.

I've had replacement sim cards - still same.

I've always thought it was a design problem - do other Galaxies have the same sim/sd card tray?

Jam1973
Student
Options

I'm not shocked to see no comment from Samsung; their support is shocking!

My wife has the same phone but no issues

I have come to the conclusion this is a temperature related issue as no issues since the weather has called now and less issues when I changed the phone case to a pouch rather than a case.

0 Likes
shadymathers
Journeyman
Options

I have this exact same issue on my A20e.ive sent multiple data log reports and screenshots on the error report section,but due to covid19 I'm not getting a response for a fix.

0 Likes
Martin123
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem for 4-6 weeks now. It started after I received an upgrade with some VoLTE capabilities. 

I almost took my phone to service when I received new update with SIM detection improvement, but the problem still persists after.

0 Likes
shadymathers
Journeyman
Options

I read from another member on here that he had the dual sim card tray replaced at a repair shop and it solved the issue.so I ordered myself 2 from Amazon(only 8 quid),I replaced it yesterday and 'touch wood' I've not had an error yet.

0 Likes
RaStiScaR
Apprentice
Options

Hello !
I have the same issue since about april, may and it becomed worst after the update suposed to solve the issue jajaja what an irony....
i do confirm that this phone is problematic,
my GF has one, the USB port stopped working after 5 months.
and mine got disconnections issues with the sd card and the sim, constantly,
samsung repaired the one of my GF, and mine has ben fixed some days ago, by insurance they took 29 days to fix that !!! horrible .

0 Likes
RaStiScaR
Apprentice
Options

Hello !
Guess What?! :
today 6 days after the phone being repaired, by samsung  / phone house I'm getting the notification "new sd card detected, tap totransfer media"
This is the first symptom of this issue
This is a new SD than the previous one.
so the repair service is ineficient, and this Samsung Galaxy a40 is really a faulty phone, Samsung on the whole are ineficient.
dont buy this phone